New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kremmen
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 01 December 2003 :  10:56:08  Show Profile
Hi there

I'm looking for a MOD that allows the Admins to add/Delete users without allowing users to Register themselves. In effect making the forum a closed, invite only forum.

Does such a MOD exist or is there a basic feature of the Forum that I, in my rampaging stupidity, am missing.

Edited by - kremmen on 01 December 2003 10:56:39

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 01 December 2003 :  12:05:17  Show Profile
make the forum so that require registration is On and then set Restrict Registration to On.

This will make it so that admins must approve all members before they can have access to the forum. You may get some people that register themselves, but you can always choose to delete those pending member that shouldn't have access. If you go this route, you can also modify the login.asp page so that you have a little blurb explaining that the forum is by invite only and any persons registering that have not been invited will not be approved.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

kremmen
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2003 :  02:27:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nikkol

make the forum so that require registration is On and then set Restrict Registration to On.

This will make it so that admins must approve all members before they can have access to the forum. You may get some people that register themselves, but you can always choose to delete those pending member that shouldn't have access. If you go this route, you can also modify the login.asp page so that you have a little blurb explaining that the forum is by invite only and any persons registering that have not been invited will not be approved.

Thanks. I may end up doing that if no other solutuion presents itself. i'm trying to write soemthing that will do what I want but time may prevent before I need this and in that case your solution will be the one to use.

Thanks again
cds
Go to Top of Page

kremmen
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2003 :  11:47:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nikkol

Unfortunately the server I have to use doesn't have SMTP available so although the control is there the automatic emailing isn't. Is there any OTHER way to do this.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by - kremmen on 04 December 2003 12:01:12
Go to Top of Page

kremmen
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2003 :  02:45:52  Show Profile
OK

My real problem is that this all has to be done in a hurry, so I don't have the time to get really familiar with the fully-featured and compex app that is Snitz, so here is what I have done.

1) Turned off Registration
2) Made copies of the usual registration ASP pages
3) Inserted an icon on the members page that only shows up if you are signed on as admin,
that takes you to the copied, and amended, registration page.
4) Hard coded in the copied page the statement "strProhibitNewMembers = 0" so that it
doesn't get bounced on the New Member prohibition I have imposed
5) changed the form links so that they go to the copied and amended pages where appropriate

I know this is inelegant and evil, but deadlines and other work prevent me doing anything more subtle at this time. If I get the chance (it'll be the New Year now) I'll maybe refine it and post it here for consideration as a MOD.

It's not pretty, but it works

cds
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07