Unread Messages
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigoChess
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  15:44:33  Show Profile
Is there any way to mark unread message? For instance, if I entered the forum yesterday at 15:00, and I enter it now, I will see some sign next to each message written in during my absence?

Edited by - ruirib on 20 October 2003 18:17:51

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  15:46:38  Show Profile
that's what active.asp is for.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

BigoChess
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  18:04:14  Show Profile
NO. Active.asp shows TOPICS that are active. Instead of showing topics, I want it to show messages. So in the next time you will enter this topic, you will see a special sign next to messages posted after you visited in this forum in the last time. In particular, this and your's message showed be signed, but not the first.
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  18:27:46  Show Profile
maybe I don't know what you mean by message. Are you talking about private messages?

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

Locnar

89 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  18:53:01  Show Profile  Visit Locnar's Homepage
I think I see what Bigo means. When re-visiting the forum and using the Active Topics link, it would display something next to the actual messages that are new since the last visit. Not sure what type of an indicator except maybe a star at the top of the message body or something.

I could see how this could be useful for an active thread, where you didn't know where you left off. This would prevent you from having to click through page after page of posts to find where you left off by re-reading everything in that thread.

Locnar
Just your basic forums ---> www.duncanet.com/forums
Star Wars Galaxies ---> www.duncanet.com/forum/sitenews.asp
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  20:12:52  Show Profile
Yep, I think you have it Locnar - I've been meaning to do this for a while as well. The "jump to last post" option needs a companion "just to first unread post". It would make reading everything just that bit easier as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan
Average Member

USA
858 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  22:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Ryan's Homepage
I was thinking of a MOD where you could select "Keep all new messages unread". That way if you ran into the forum real quick and then ran out all your messages wouldnt be marked as read.

The Poultry Link - "Serving the best of the fancy with the best of the web"
Forum Setup Help
Go to Top of Page

Locnar

89 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2003 :  12:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Locnar's Homepage
Sounds like a good idea Ryan. I'm far from an expert, but couldn't this be done (Ryan's Idea) by just resetting the timestamp in the cookie and/or the database to the same time it was set to before entering?

Locnar
Just your basic forums ---> www.duncanet.com/forums
Star Wars Galaxies ---> www.duncanet.com/forum/sitenews.asp
Go to Top of Page

BigoChess
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2003 :  17:30:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Locnar

I think I see what Bigo means. When re-visiting the forum and using the Active Topics link, it would display something next to the actual messages that are new since the last visit. Not sure what type of an indicator except maybe a star at the top of the message body or something.

I could see how this could be useful for an active thread, where you didn't know where you left off. This would prevent you from having to click through page after page of posts to find where you left off by re-reading everything in that thread.

Exactly! Well... someone has an idea?
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 21 November 2003 :  12:46:13  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
I am thinking of doing something similar. A user would be able to enable/disable this but I was thinking when they return, click on a topic, it scrolls them down to the last message they left off at, or whatever page it is on so they start reading new ones. Another thing would be to place a special link that they clicked they would jump to the newest post, or if they just clicked the title the topic would open normal.

I think a simple checking of posting time may work the best, comparing it to thier last visit time. I am going to mess around and see what I can figure out.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07