Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 22 March 2001 :  22:29:33  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi,

I'm having a problem getting the mod to actually do what it is supposed to do. Everything seems to be "working"... no errors or problems with the database etc...

When I add a link and then go to the admin page to "browse" for links, it shows me the new link for approval... I get through the steps of approving and assigning to first, a category and then a sub-category. It then tells me that I have successfully assigned the link... however, when I go to the listings it's not there! Then, when I go back to the admin page and "browse" the link is still there waiting for approval!

Frankie, (or anyone else that might help), I'm pretty sure I can figure this out if I can get some basic direction. When the final approval step is taken, how/where does the work take place? (ie: what files should I be looking through, or what functions/subs are posting the changes to the dB?)

Cheers!

Rob

PS: I now have "approved" two different links in the same category (two different sub-categories) and the total for that category still shows zero. When I click on the sub-category it tells me "No records found!" If I go to the "Edit URL" page and go to the proper category it shows to categories both with one link -- like it should. I can see the link (it has the "new" keyword). Yet when I try a look at the link through the listings page they are not there...

perplexing...

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 22 March 2001 22:38:58
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 22 March 2001 :  22:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
I'm trying to debug my problem, and I've come across another one that is un-related. It seems that one cannot add any keywords with apostrophe's (') in them. I think the problem is that the Request.Form statements that are being used in "admin_listings_step1update.asp" are being used to form a SQL string that defines the UPDATE statement. That UPDATE seems to fail when it is parsed prematurely because of an apostrophe.

Shouldn't those Request.Form statements first be sent to the function ChkString(fString,fField_Type) -- where fField_Type should be set to "SQLString" -- and then the returned value used to assemble the string that is passed to the UPDATE statement?

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm trying to find my other bigger problem right now, so I'll play around with this later. But Frankie could you check this on your system? see if you can mees it up by typing a word with an apostrophe (single quote) in it...

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 22 March 2001 :  23:06:30  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Ok... back to my main problem.... I think I have a clue but I need some help. I just checked my Link2 table in SQL Server EM and the SHOW column has nulls for all three links -- obviously this is not being set properly.

Can anyone tell me where and when these should be set during the approbal process?

Also if an admin (me), adds a new URL, does it automatically get approved? I notice that the admin page always says "No new URL's to Approve" whenever I enter that page after I add a URL.

Cheers!

Rob

PS: Also noticed that the POSTDATE column is alwasy zero -- is this not being currently used?

PPS: Well, now I just manually modified one of my link records in EM to have SHOW set to "1" instead of NULL, and presto! I can see that link. I've just been searching through all of the listings files to see where the DB field "SHOW" is updated and I can't find it!! Frankie! Come to the rescue dude... I'm real close! WHere do you set the SHOW field to YES! Cheers!

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 22 March 2001 23:19:35

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 22 March 2001 23:25:58
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  00:02:56  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
OK... I got this all figured out...

The SHOW field in the LINK2 table allows for NULLS. IMHO, and after looking at the code, this is not a good thing -- any links set to NULL will never show that they are available for approval in the admin page. Not sure if it is supposed to be that way... I checked the listings_setup.asp file and it does not set any attributes for the SHOW column.

If the intention of the mod is to have ALL submitted URL's (including those posted by an administrator) processed through the administrators approval mechanism, then the atrributes for the SHOW field should be: ALLOW NULLS=NO, DEFAULT VALUE=(0). This would prevent this problem. After I manually set my SHOW field for each listing to "1", and set the fields attributes as above, everything worked like a charm.

Don't understand why others have not run into this so I'm probably just missing something -- perhaps it is a SQL thang -- anyway after my numerous posts, I figured I should at least state what my particular solution was.

I'll get back to you after I look at the keywords apostrophe thing...

Cheers!

Rob

PS: And Frankie... I think I already mentioned what a KEWL mod this is...

Go to Top of Page

helpme
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  00:38:14  Show Profile
Aznknight can u post a link to the copy of your link manager? i would like to have that on my links section
Go to Top of Page

fatwillie

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  03:41:25  Show Profile  Visit fatwillie's Homepage  Send fatwillie an ICQ Message
This has got to be one the best mods I have seen yet! I don't like the fact that it won't work with SQL but oh well, the idea is good!

If someone has a working version for SQL I would love it if you emailed it to me! If not, just help me out with this error...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '*'.

/forum/admin_listings_deleteurl.asp, line 26

fatwillie@bootstomp.com

Fatwillie's Forum

Edited by - fatwillie on 23 March 2001 04:21:34
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  09:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi fatwillie,

I have it working fine on SQL 7 -- but I've already moded mine so much that it would takesome work to get back to a "default state -- plus with all the SQl fixes. It will be easier if I tell you some stuff and you do the work...

Go through all the files and...
1) ...search for "yes" - replace with "1" (Only when used to construct SQL statements)
2) ...search for "no" - replace with "0" (Only when used to construct SQL statements. This one's tougher -- 'no' shows up in a lot of other words - leave those alone!)
3) ...replace all "DELETE *" with just DELETE (this is the basis of your posted problem.)

Go back in this thread and read all my posts concerning the database -- all though I have not had any response from the Frankie or other junior/senior developers, I got mine working making those changes.

It IS a great mod, so it will be worth the work...

Good luck!

Rob

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 23 March 2001 09:20:15
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  20:27:47  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
hi folks, releasing my links manager code without the db setup wouldn't be of much help. I've totally re-defined the tables and fields type. Fix to correct types and also make it more general than just access database. The one on my site is running off sql server 2000 so I know it works fine on that...

Now what's left is to create the .dbs so that the database setup can be done by mod_dbsetup.asp page...and then zip everything up.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  21:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hey Aznknight,

Did you notice the problem with the keyword field not dealing with single quotes? (see earlier post for details) Just curious if this is just my problem... perhaps an sr2 one...

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

frankie

Vatican City
304 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2001 :  19:29:01  Show Profile  Visit frankie's Homepage  Send frankie an AOL message  Send frankie an ICQ Message  Send frankie a Yahoo! Message
Could someone please close this topic? I would appreciate it. Thanks

Edited by - frankie on 04 April 2001 19:29:34
Go to Top of Page

mark
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 05 April 2001 :  20:13:23  Show Profile  Send mark an ICQ Message
Is the MOD working?

im the king of the world
Go to Top of Page

mark
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2001 :  22:34:14  Show Profile  Send mark an ICQ Message
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'lastdate'

/glenn/goto.asp, line 23

n can i set it much earlier date rather to what 2-3 days to activate it. need help wait your response ppl.

im the king of the world
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07