New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

frankie

Vatican City
304 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2001 :  22:31:18  Show Profile  Visit frankie's Homepage  Send frankie an AOL message  Send frankie an ICQ Message  Send frankie a Yahoo! Message
It's here finally:

http://www16.brinkster.com/studentwave/listings_mod.zip

Basically it's a link manager that is completely configured for snitz forums (v3.1 SR4). It has an advanced admin interface that controls all aspects of managing links on a website. Any user could add a link (won't be a problem because all links have to be approved by admin before they get posted). Adding, editing or deleting categories, subcategories or links is a breeze. move posted links around from one category to another in no time. Bad links reporting feature gives you the upper hand to keep your links clean. Search for links from within the mod and control the display of results, plus a hit counter for each link.

All you have to do is unzip the file to the same folder with the rest of the snitz forum files and then run the listings_setup.asp file from your browser and it's ready to go. This mod is access97, access2000, sql server and mysql compatible.

This mod is configured for the Mod_control (if you have it). Just add the listings.mod and listings.txt in the mod folder and it's ready to go.

Make sure you set a link to this mod in your admin_home.asp page and if you'd like, at the top of inc_top.asp page.

BTW, I couldn't supply a demo for the mere fact I'm having a problem with ftp to my test site!

Thank you for giving me the chance to contribute to this great site and god bless .

Note: This mod is very scalable, suggestions and rework is highly recommended.

Please note that the original code which this mod is based on came from a friend and I just modified it to work with snitz. original code author(s) name is not known to me or him. If anyone knows please inform me to give the deserved credit to the real author(s). All I know it's a freeware with no copyrights.

ô¿~

Edited by - frankie on 22 February 2001 12:15:56

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 04 February 2001 :  23:59:23  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
Hey frankie,

It would help if you can provide a demo . Must people are hesitant to install something that they've haven't seen worked first. Also without providing demo, it's hard to tell if a mod is worth installing or not. I would like to see what this mod looks like.

- Alan
"True knowledge is knowing how little you really know"
Go to Top of Page

frankie

Vatican City
304 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  00:14:53  Show Profile  Visit frankie's Homepage  Send frankie an AOL message  Send frankie an ICQ Message  Send frankie a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Hey frankie,

It would help if you can provide a demo . Must people are hesitant to install something that they've haven't seen worked first. Also without providing demo, it's hard to tell if a mod is worth installing or not. I would like to see what this mod looks like.

- Alan
"True knowledge is knowing how little you really know"

Aznknight,

I really wanted to do so but I can't ftp to my website (go figure). Plus I'm having trouble with my ISP connection (crawling as we speak) to upload a whole new website from scratch. As far as I know rick7165 posted this reply in your classifieds mod (hopefully this would help you and others till I get things going):

quote:
Frankie Posted this. It has tons of Features. Just needs some work on the Admin page.

Someone maybe able to combine the 2 together

I have it up and running on my Test site in the top menu it's "Listings".. Admin login is default so you can see how the admin works.

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=4577

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Aznknight!

I'll start working on the layout of the "details" page and any extra fields. Basically just don't want to have people duplicate work.

Might be a good idea to find a good example of a classified system we like and work toward that.

Scott LeMieux
NDesigns.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Running on HuwR's SR4 release

It's really a great mod and I'm not saying that because I posted it. it's worth everyone's while.

Note: rick7165 mentioned something about the his admin page being the default which means:
admin for username and admin for password. and he also mentiond about my admin mod needs work , which I don't see any problems with beside the inc_footer include in his site not showing right due to unknown reasons to me (works fine on my server).

ô¿~

Edited by - frankie on 05 February 2001 00:20:14
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  00:31:03  Show Profile
I'm getting a 404 on your link frankie.

"Even when you feel you have nothing left,
You still have prayer--And that's enough."

Go to Top of Page

frankie

Vatican City
304 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  00:40:43  Show Profile  Visit frankie's Homepage  Send frankie an AOL message  Send frankie an ICQ Message  Send frankie a Yahoo! Message
quote:

I'm getting a 404 on your link frankie.

Davio,

I posted another link to the mod above, try that

ô¿~
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  00:54:20  Show Profile
Got it.

In your zip you have a duplicate of some of the files. You have 2 showlink.asp and 2 showsub.asp files. Each file was a different size so I really didn't know which one to extract.

Oh wait, nevermind. One of them goes into a /admin folder. I don't have that option enabled in in my winzip so it just extracted all of them to the folder I selected.

Edited by - Davio on 05 February 2001 00:56:52
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  01:10:23  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Frankie... Only a couple of things I see.. One is the inc_footer.asp is showing up to the right as you stated.. also it would be nice after you enter or edit something it would flip back to the to where you started. Instead right now you have to either hit the backup key or use the menu then work your way back to where you were. As if you where deleting or adding multi sub cat's etc...

Other then that this Mod is awesome and well worth spending the time to tweak it!

I have a demo of this mod running on my test site... Feel free to test it out. Login as U=admin P=admin if you want to see how the admin section of this works.

Thanks Frankie... Awesome Mod!

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Go to Top of Page

frankie

Vatican City
304 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  01:10:25  Show Profile  Visit frankie's Homepage  Send frankie an AOL message  Send frankie an ICQ Message  Send frankie a Yahoo! Message
Davio,

I forgot to mention that you have to have those file listed in the admin folder to unzip or be extracted as mentioned (inside the assigned admin folder) in order for your admin section to work!

Basically all you have to do is unzip the files as is ( not in your case davio).

ô¿~
Go to Top of Page

frankie

Vatican City
304 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  01:20:47  Show Profile  Visit frankie's Homepage  Send frankie an AOL message  Send frankie an ICQ Message  Send frankie a Yahoo! Message
rick7165,

I don't seem to pin point why your mod isn't showing the inc_footer file correctly ( I have to wait and see what others have). AS for the go back feature it's basically just adding a few meta tags with the refer statement. Otherwise I can't express my gratitude to you for helping to demo my mod

ô¿~
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  01:32:37  Show Profile
Yeah, thanks frankie. I got it. Might just mention that in your readme file just in case anyone else does the same thing as I do.

Anyways, setup went ok. Database updated ok. But...(there's always a but) my server/browser is freezing each time I visit the admin section, click the "edit category" link on the left and clicking a Link to modify from the right.

I took a quick look at your files. From what I see, you are opening a connection to the database too many times and not closing them properly. The included inc_top_short.asp file opens a connection to the database already. Don't need to open another one on your pages.
You use, for example: "RScount.close" to close the connection. You should also use: "set RScount = nothing" with it.

Just a concern also, you used frames for your admin page. On the left frame you have a connection open to the database, (because you have the inc_top_short.asp included). I don't know how that would affect the number of database strings being Set at the same time. But why not try putting the links into a table?
And last suggestion, why not make the admin_index.html file an ASP file? Just change the extention to .asp. It will run ok.

Just my suggestions. I'll do some debugging to see why my server/browser is freezing. It might just be some of the pointers I had mentioned.

Go to Top of Page

frankie

Vatican City
304 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  01:37:20  Show Profile  Visit frankie's Homepage  Send frankie an AOL message  Send frankie an ICQ Message  Send frankie a Yahoo! Message
Davio,

I was following the same rituale practiced on the snitz original code..plus the inc_footer.asp does the job for closing the my_conn object and it's included with every file. I don't know about the freezing problem (never happened to me). as for setting the rs object to nothing after you close it I don't see any harm or performance issues with that!!

The admin_index.html file does the framing settings for the two files included in it (left.asp, main.asp) I don't see the need for changing the extension because all its doing is being the adhesive for the those files. Thanks for your concerns and please feel free to work things around if you see suitable.

ô¿~

Edited by - frankie on 05 February 2001 01:50:57
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  01:49:50  Show Profile
Yes I understand Frankie. But the Snitz Code doesn't set another connection to the database after that. It uses the open one which is set in inc_top.asp(and inc_top_short.asp) and it closes in inc_footer.asp(and inc_footer_short.asp) Let me show you what I mean. On the left frame you have inc_top_short.asp which has this code:

set my_Conn= Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
my_Conn.Open strConnString

And you don't have inc_footer.asp on the left frame to close it out. So you have one open connection to the database.
Now on the right frame, you have the inc_top_short.asp again, which sets another connection to the database. That's 2. In the main part of the code you open it again. That's 3. You have inc_footer.asp to close out 1 of them in the right frame.
You have the connection code on most of your pages plus the inc_top_short.asp page.

So all you need is the inc_top_short.asp, config.asp and inc_footer.asp included in your files. No need for this code to be at the begininng of your files:

set my_Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
my_Conn.Open strConnString

Because that is done in the included files.
Do you see what i am saying?

Edited by - Davio on 05 February 2001 01:53:56
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  01:52:46  Show Profile
quote:
The admin_index.html file does the framing settings for the two files included in it (left.asp, main.asp) I don't see the need for changing the extension because all its doing is being the adhesive for the those files.
Just consistency frankie.
The whole forum is based on ASP. So i would guess the mods that are created are created using the .asp extention.

Go to Top of Page

frankie

Vatican City
304 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  02:00:52  Show Profile  Visit frankie's Homepage  Send frankie an AOL message  Send frankie an ICQ Message  Send frankie a Yahoo! Message
Yes Davio,

If you look closely at my code, the connection is openned more than one time for the fact the code has more than one senario in it (e.g. deleting or editing a ctegory happens in the same code but won't happen at the same time that's why I have two inc_footer includes in the same code, to close the connection object. I agree with you that inc_top_short does open the connection at the top ( I don't see the harm in that) Plus I added inc_top_short to the left just to control the colors and getting rid of it is not a problem (just add the html, head, body..etc. in the code)

Note: in an asp,ado program objects are closed automatically after the script is executed.

ô¿~

Edited by - frankie on 05 February 2001 02:13:09
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  03:15:02  Show Profile
Well I changed the frames to use tables instead. Also commented out the extra connection strings that were being called for and now it doesn't freeze up anymore.

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  03:53:14  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Frankie.. Glad I could Help!

quote:

rick7165,

I don't seem to pin point why your mod isn't showing the inc_footer file correctly ( I have to wait and see what others have). AS for the go back feature it's basically just adding a few meta tags with the refer statement. Otherwise I can't express my gratitude to you for helping to demo my mod

ô¿~

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com

Edited by - rick7165 on 05 February 2001 04:05:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07