ignore author and ignore thread mod
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2003 :  15:23:41  Show Profile
I want to add such features to a forum for
1. I used to use NNTP which I block/ignore quite some thread/authors.
2. In some of the forums I visit there are a few annoying people and many thread I'm not interested in at all.

I've done some rought coding and test, the idea is simple:
ignoredauthors: id, memberid, authorid, ignoretype
ignoredtopics: id, memberid, topicid.

However, I'm worried that as the database grows,
will this slow down the forum? I have no idea about what size a table is big/slow.
for the topic display page, let's say we display 50 topics on a page, with average 200 ignored thread a user (sure it's getting bigger all the time if no archieve is done), assume it's a 5000 user forum. (1000000 rec in the ignoredtopics table.)
which is better?
1. join the talbe and see if it's ingored. - one join, (num of topics per page, i.e. 50 in the example, simple value check)
2. get ingored topics of the visitor in an array, chk against the array, one more db query,(num of topics per page, i.e. 50 in the example, is in array chk.)

Another question is what's your suggestions on archive of the ignored topics? I think I'll archive it, do you want to turn it on on the archived topics? I'll make a switch for this anyway.

How does NNTP client handle this? I think it's done on the client side, eliminating the extra query on the db/server. BTW, how does the NNTP server store the articles? Using a db or not? how does the normal email system store messages?

regarding making it a mod:
1. how many out there are interested in such a mod, is it a highly demanded feature by anyothers?
2. Anybody has done similar work?
3. Are there anybody interested in making such a mod?

Edited by - bjlt on 09 June 2003 15:30:20

Hamlin
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2386 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2003 :  15:30:07  Show Profile
quote:

2. Anybody has done similar work?

I had one running a while ago, but I never completely finished it. I did have the actual ignoring/un-ignoring bit done, but not much else. I only every added it to topic.asp, it would also have to go to pop_printer_friendly.asp and post.asp for example.
quote:

2. get ingored topics of the visitor in an array, chk against the array, one more db query.

Thats how I was doing it, not sure if its the best, just seemed very simple.

Edited by - Hamlin on 09 June 2003 15:32:04
Go to Top of Page

guido

56 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2003 :  22:49:33  Show Profile
I would love to have the code for an ignore mod. If you have something, can you post here or forward it to me? landiu@speakeasy.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07