Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  10:24:32  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by red1
What fields would be useful?

Off the top of my head I would add
Start Time
End Time
A checkbox for all day event
Website

Those are the biggies that I can think of. But everybodies needs are different.

Swing Dancing Video Clips - It's All Swing! Forum
Go to Top of Page

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  10:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
One other thought too is to add information to the pop_help page, especially for editing events and maximum span between start and end dates.

Also could you use javascript to check the end date, instead of checking after the page has already been submitted? The only problem that I can think of is how to get the value from the cal_config.asp page in to the javascript, but I'm sure it could be done.

Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  14:07:22  Show Profile
jeffery: can you verify that your cal_default.asp contains this:

'Reset the Forum_ID
arrRqCalForumID = Trim(Join(arrCalForumID, ","))
arrRqCalForumID = Trim(ChkString(arrRqCalForumID, "SQLString"))

Also, are you sure that you put this line on top of config.asp:
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="cal_config.asp"-->

If you want to upgrade from the other events mod (without recurring dates) you will need an upgrade script to copy the dates to the new database table. You also need to review the changes made to files because I changed some of the file names and variable names.

Steve:

Start Time
End Time
A checkbox for all day event
Website

These are all good. But as you said not everyone would need all these so perhaps custom user fields would be more useful. This would be a great as a new mod for anyone who wants to add fields to post.asp. How about extending your mod Steve so that it can be used to add any custom field even for those not using the calendar?

I've thought about pop_help but I really didn't know what to put in it. I'm bad at phrasing things

I added the check for maximum span because it's really easy for a user to choke your DB simply by entering start & end dates that are really far apart. But now I'm beginning to think that maximum span won't really do the trick. Maybe I should just count the number of records inserted and put a limit on that instead.

Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  14:23:31  Show Profile
oops, after getting an error i had taken <!--#INCLUDE FILE="cal_config.asp"--> out of config.asp and left <!--#INCLUDE FILE="cal_constants.asp"--> Now getting:
Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'

Server.CreateObject Failed

/forum_test/post_info.asp, line 45

Invalid ProgID. For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

when I try to create an event in post.asp

www.thomasforum.com
Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  14:30:50  Show Profile
Jeffery are you installing this on a forum that already has the events mod (non-recurring dates) installed?
Go to Top of Page

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  14:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
When this is all finished, I'll extend my mod to add fields to the DB hopefully

Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  15:17:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by red1

Jeffery are you installing this on a forum that already has the events mod (non-recurring dates) installed?

Yes

www.thomasforum.com
Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  15:31:17  Show Profile
I'm sorry jeffery but this mod is still in development so I'm not yet ready for mod implementation issues. I'm just looking for people to test this on different platforms and give comments and suggestions. In your case you will want to compare the instructions for both mods so you can uninstall the old one and install the new one.
Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  15:36:22  Show Profile
No problem.

www.thomasforum.com
Go to Top of Page

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  10:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
So I downloaded the new files and installed them, but am still having the same problems with editing only a single date. When I edit a single date, it is still changing all the dates even though I have selected "This Date Only"

So when you actually do edit a single date only, can you change the Subject & the Message? If so is a new topic getting created for each edited event?

Go to Top of Page

Juppers
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  20:11:52  Show Profile
Have you considered limiting events to only be viewable to those that have access to the forum in which the event was placed? I have ran into that problem a few times, where someone will post an event in a private forum, and while the details aren't able to be viewed, the event itself will show up for all users.
Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  02:05:18  Show Profile
> and while the details aren't able to be viewed, the event itself will show up for all users.

Show up where?

> So I downloaded the new files and installed them, but am still having the same problems with editing only a single date. When I edit a single date, it is still changing all the dates even though I have selected "This Date Only"

Steve I can't seem to recreate this. Can you try it out on my test forum (http://red1.www2.dotnetplayground.com/mod/).

> So when you actually do edit a single date only, can you change the Subject & the Message? If so is a new topic getting created for each edited event?

No, all the dates are linked to the same topic.

My Mods:
New Events Calendar
New Non-database Active Users
Go to Top of Page

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  10:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
I guess that's where I'm getting confused. I've been trying to edit the Message to add the new info.

So I don't really understand then how you can edit a single date? I would ideally like to be able to edit the subject and the message of individual events.

For instance we have a dance every Monday night. But on holiday's the dance is cancelled, so what we do is edit the Subject line to say CANCELLED Monday Night Practice session. Or for our friday night dances we like to put the name of bands that are performing in the subject and the body.

So I guess that's the problem I see. I guess I don't understand what they can edit if they can't change subject or message.

Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  14:11:46  Show Profile
The "Edit: This Date Only" option only applies to the dates and not the Subject or the Message. Perhaps you can just append to the the message or post a reply to indicate which dates have been cancelled or postponed or whatever. Or just create a new topic.

My Mods:
New Events Calendar
New Non-database Active Users
Go to Top of Page

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  14:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
Then what is the difference between Edit
This Date Only
All Dates
All Future Dates
if the only thing you can change is date? Is this just to change the recurrence?

I think people will be confused by this as it's not intuitive. I was expecting it to work more like Outlook where any occurence could be individually edited. Maybe the key is to have individual topics once an individual event has been edited...

Just my $.02

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07