Use my bogging code
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Antonio
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  03:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Antonio's Homepage  Send Antonio an AOL message  Send Antonio an ICQ Message  Send Antonio a Yahoo! Message
I have a test site on Brinkster that uses a Database to blogg updates. I'd like to see someone implement it in the Snitz Forums for a portal along with an integrated login or at least one that can just pass cookies between the blogg and forum pages.

Check it out at http://www32.brinkster.com/nesgeneration/

"Coming Soon"

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  10:23:52  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
seems too simplistic. needs some work in my opinion, as compared to other blogs that I have seen. btw, if you want to see a nicely done blog integrated with Snitz code, check out http://www.rakkoon.com .

Go to Top of Page

Antonio
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2003 :  19:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Antonio's Homepage  Send Antonio an AOL message  Send Antonio an ICQ Message  Send Antonio a Yahoo! Message
Yes, it's simplistic. I wanted it to be that way so if someone were to mail me for it, it would be extremely easy for them to take and modify it.

Yours is incredible though.

"Coming Soon"
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2003 :  14:37:12  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Dayve,

Is yours available for download anywhere?

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2003 :  16:17:27  Show Profile
Rakkoon.com is my site, Dayve was just pointing it out as another way to do things.

Before you ask me, no the site's codes are not available for download anywhere and they won't be.
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2003 :  23:46:23  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
LOL! Roland, thanks for being abrupt ahead of time. Now what did I do to deserve such a snippy comment such as that? Hmmm??

It's ok, really. If I go with one, it will be either Anacrusis or Bookie at the moment. Besides, I think you said yours could cause trouble for other people, and you didn't want to be responsible for it in relation to others using the code.

I read up (http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41921) about your code being made "unavailable" because you didn't want to be bothered with the fanfare, etc. It's fine.

quote:

Before you ask me, no the site's codes are not available for download anywhere and they won't be.

Now, wasn't that comment a little bit too much over the top to get your point across? No great offense taken to split heads over. Just wasn't expecting it from you, in particular, since you have generally been quite pleasant to me in the past. Really taken back about your kindness at the moment ... dazed ... puzzled.

Cheers,

Etymon

Edited by - Etymon on 01 July 2003 23:49:01
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2003 :  10:20:45  Show Profile
I had a lot of things on my mind when I wrote that reply. I see how it can come across as being snappy, and I guess a smiley at the end could've made it look "nicer", but then again, what more could I say about it?
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2003 :  10:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by FrutZle
... but then again, what more could I say about it?

This blog is only an example of what can be done. However, my code is not stable for public release, and I am too limited in resources to be available to provide technical support for any release of its code. Perhaps another MOD creator can take up the task.
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2003 :  11:16:00  Show Profile
My code is stable as it's been running on my site for months now. There is, however, the possibility that there are one or more security holes or bugs (let's call them "unexpected features") hidden in the codes that could be exploited if the code was made available.

You're pretty much right about the support part. But, it's not that I don't have time, it's more that I don't want to give support, mainly because I don't remember what I changed, where the changes were made, or why I made certain changes. After all, it was never meant to be a MOD, so there was no need to document anything... Not to mention that I haven't looked at the codes in a long long time now.
Therefore I came to the conclusion that it'd be best not to give out the codes rather than letting people download it and me saying "if you have any problems, just fold your hands and pray for a miracle 'cause I won't help"

Now see what you made me do... I still explained it all
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2003 :  12:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Yes, the do help express emotion and intention a lot. Good job!

I was just trying to save you some words and some negative impressions you set by using those types of words. You may or may not have meant to be negative. It appeared that you intended to be though.

As a moderator here at Snitz, naturally, people are going to feel an openness to ask you about your code and also feel comfortable doing so because they see you as being more successful with the code. It just goes with the job.

By saying you don't want to be bothered with etc, etc, and etc it would be better to keep it short and not be so poignant (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=poignant) towards the requests of others.

That is why I summarized your statements with my statements as published below:

quote:
Originally posted by FrutZle
... There is, however, the possibility that there are one or more security holes or bugs (let's call them "unexpected features") hidden in the codes that could be exploited if the code was made available.

... my code is not stable for public release ...

quote:

... it's not that I don't have time, it's more that I don't want to give support, mainly because I don't remember what I changed, where the changes were made, or why I made certain changes. After all, it was never meant to be a MOD, so there was no need to document anything... Not to mention that I haven't looked at the codes in a long long time now. Therefore I came to the conclusion that it'd be best not to give out the codes rather than letting people download it and me saying "if you have any problems, just fold your hands and pray for a miracle 'cause I won't help"

... I am too limited in resources to be available to provide technical support for any release of its code ...

Your desire to help or lack thereof ... your ability to do the code or lack thereof ... your attitude towards others asking for help ... etc, are all resources and are taken account for in the too limited in resources to be available section.

Someone may be looking to hire you for something or even give you something like a donation. It is better to appear busy than to appear disinterested in others.

Cheers,

Etymon

Edited by - Etymon on 02 July 2003 12:24:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07