Best way to ban users
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mortioli
Average Member

United Kingdom
898 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  16:41:25  Show Profile  Visit mortioli's Homepage  Send mortioli an AOL message  Send mortioli a Yahoo! Message
Sorry if this is the wrong forum...

I'm having a few problems with people who are registering, and posting dumb topics everywhere etc, and members want them band.

So...my question is, what do other people use on their forums to ban users completely etc etc.

I know I can lock members accounts etc, but it's so easy for them to re-register. Also, with banning their IPs, isn't that easy for them to get round aswell!?

Thanks!

Oli

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  17:05:06  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
Take a look at MOD: IPGate

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Hamlin
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2386 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  17:23:28  Show Profile
Do you have Require Unique E-mail and E-mail Validation switched on as well? If people have to get a new email address every time they register that may put them off.
Go to Top of Page

mortioli
Average Member

United Kingdom
898 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2003 :  12:49:12  Show Profile  Visit mortioli's Homepage  Send mortioli an AOL message  Send mortioli a Yahoo! Message
I have Require Unique Email on, but not E-mail Validation (I might put it on)

I've taken a look at the IP Gate MOD, but wouldn't it be easy for users to get round!? For instance, if they have a dial up connection, then they get a new IP address each time
Go to Top of Page

spyordie007

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2003 :  14:30:42  Show Profile  Visit spyordie007's Homepage  Send spyordie007 an AOL message
I would make sure e-mail verification is turned on, that way for them to sign up multiple times it would require them to have multiple e-mail accounts that they can check.

It's not like that would be hard for someone who was determined to cause you problems, however it would be a big enough hassle to keep most people from bothering.

-Spy

Power - The only narcotic controlled by the SEC, not the FDA.

Prosperity without pollution! The American Hydrogen Association - http://www.ahanw.org
Questions about Hydrogen? Post them on our forum - http://www.ahanw.org/forum
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2003 :  15:38:37  Show Profile
We modded our system to require the first TWO posts for every member to be moderated, plus we have the ability to place any member on probation, forcing ALL of that member's posts to be moderated. The combination seemed to solve our problems with troublesome users.

--Jördan
It's a wasted day if you don't spend at least part of it flying upside down.
Go to Top of Page

mortioli
Average Member

United Kingdom
898 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2003 :  02:27:01  Show Profile  Visit mortioli's Homepage  Send mortioli an AOL message  Send mortioli a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by jfitz

We modded our system to require the first TWO posts for every member to be moderated, plus we have the ability to place any member on probation, forcing ALL of that member's posts to be moderated. The combination seemed to solve our problems with troublesome users.

Would you be able to share the code for that, please

Thanks to everyone who's replied and helped out, btw
Go to Top of Page

Mr Pink

United Kingdom
387 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2003 :  06:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Mr Pink's Homepage  Send Mr Pink an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by jfitz

plus we have the ability to place any member on probation, forcing ALL of that member's posts to be moderated.

Is this MOD available? It sounds like a great idea to let your regular users post as normal and put new or troublesome members through a probationary period.

Martin
Leyland Forum Leyland Lancashire UK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07