New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 04 February 2001 :  14:41:45  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Hey Aznknight!

I'll start working on the layout of the "details" page and any extra fields. Basically just don't want to have people duplicate work.

Might be a good idea to find a good example of a classified system we like and work toward that.

Scott LeMieux
NDesigns.net

Scott, cool...

I haven't had much time to work on this mod for awhile.

I think we can work together and incrementally improve this mod.
Since you've already done some stuff, you can do the next release of this and after that I can do the next release.
What do you think?

- Alan
"True knowledge is knowing how little you really know"
Go to Top of Page

efourie

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2001 :  23:36:59  Show Profile
Nice mod,

Do you plan to include the ability to post images in the add's in a future release?

Go to Top of Page

KXS

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2001 :  06:54:47  Show Profile  Send KXS an ICQ Message
quote:

Hey Aznknight!

I'll start working on the layout of the "details" page and any extra fields. Basically just don't want to have people duplicate work.

Might be a good idea to find a good example of a classified system we like and work toward that.

Scott LeMieux
NDesigns.net

Bro, check out this classifieds app to get some good ideas, make sure you click on the demo link on the right hand side of
this site:

http://www.avidweb.net/classified_index.cfm

This seems to be the best on the net, and full of kewl features. Alan, developed the first version using this sample...

------------------
"keeping it real"

Edited by - KXS on 13 February 2001 06:59:35
Go to Top of Page

KXS

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2001 :  07:03:00  Show Profile  Send KXS an ICQ Message
quote:

Nice mod,

Do you plan to include the ability to post images in the add's in a future release?

Bro, you can add a picture to an ad with the current version. You have to insert the url of the acutal picture, you are unable to upload a picture but a url will work fine. So when you place an ad, the last option is where you insert the url for the picture...

------------------
"keeping it real"

Edited by - KXS on 13 February 2001 09:49:47
Go to Top of Page

efourie

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2001 :  07:25:45  Show Profile
Duh! - sorry- missed that one!

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 14 February 2001 :  16:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

ok got it working on SQL Server, however, not sure you want to use the format that I've used or continue with the inner joins, etc.

iadID = Request.QueryString("ID")

Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
gsSQL = "SELECT * from ads_content WHERE ADS_CONTENT.ID = " & iadID
rs.Open gsSQL, My_Conn

gsSQL1 = "SELECT * from ads_category WHERE id = " & RS("topic_id")
Set rs1 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs1.Open gsSQL1, My_Conn

I also noticed that you're not checking to see if IadID is empty.. I have added code to mine to see if it's empty, if so send user back to classifieds cause they are doing something they shouldn't be doing :)

Also, might want to check for BOF or EOF if there are no ads, etc.

I will help you with the subcategories if you'd like... not sure if you need help with it but figured I'd at least offer.

P.S. I also added rs.close and rs1.close at the end of the file and set rs/rs1 = nothing to get rid of the object and save resources.

Thanks,
Tim

Hi...
I had the same problem with this SQL statement:

gsSQL = "Select ADS_CONTENT.ID, Topic_ID, ad_title, content, price, image_url, added_By, city, state, email, date_posted, "gsSQL = gsSQL & "link, ADS_CATEGORY.id, category_name FROM ADS_CONTENT left join ADS_CATEGORY on ADS_CONTENT.topic_id = ADS_CATEGORY.id WHERE ADS_CONTENT.ID = " & iadID

It's not the inner join that's the problem. I took the gsSQL string from Visual Interdev and ran it in SQL Server Query Anaylyzer and it ran just fine... There seems to be an issue with naming recordset entities. As soon as I renamed ADS_CONTENT.ID and ADS_CATEGORY.ID using aliases it worked fine.

Try this instead:

gsSQL = "Select ADS_CONTENT.ID AS CONTENTID, Topic_ID, ad_title, content, price, image_url, added_By, city, state, email, date_posted, "
gsSQL = gsSQL & "link, ADS_CATEGORY.ID AS CATEGORYID, CATEGORY_NAME FROM ADS_CONTENT inner join ADS_CATEGORY on ADS_CONTENT.topic_id = ADS_CATEGORY.ID WHERE ADS_CONTENT.ID = " & iadID

Of course you need to make sure your references to those recordset entities are renamed in your code as well...

Go to Top of Page

ctsolutions

Germany
69 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2001 :  04:39:28  Show Profile  Visit ctsolutions's Homepage  Send ctsolutions an ICQ Message
Hi, is anybody here that have Classifieds running under SQL 7.0 or 2000 ?
I have try long time to make it running but no chance.

Edited by - ctsolutions on 06 March 2001 04:24:37
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2001 :  04:58:38  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Test here:
http://www.itc.dynip.com/kinser/classDetail.asp?id=2

i'm running this on sql 2000 and it's just fine..I've also tested it on sql 7 without a hitch? what was the problem you had?

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2001 :  05:01:20  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Hi...

gsSQL = "Select ADS_CONTENT.ID, Topic_ID, ad_title, content, price, image_url, added_By, city, state, email, date_posted, "gsSQL = gsSQL & "link, ADS_CATEGORY.id, category_name FROM ADS_CONTENT left join ADS_CATEGORY on ADS_CONTENT.topic_id = ADS_CATEGORY.id WHERE ADS_CONTENT.ID = " & iadID

It's not the inner join that's the problem. I took the gsSQL string from Visual Interdev and ran it in SQL Server Query Anaylyzer and it ran just fine... There seems to be an issue with naming recordset entities. As soon as I renamed ADS_CONTENT.ID and ADS_CATEGORY.ID using aliases it worked fine.

Try this instead:

gsSQL = "Select ADS_CONTENT.ID AS CONTENTID, Topic_ID, ad_title, content, price, image_url, added_By, city, state, email, date_posted, "
gsSQL = gsSQL & "link, ADS_CATEGORY.ID AS CATEGORYID, CATEGORY_NAME FROM ADS_CONTENT inner join ADS_CATEGORY on ADS_CONTENT.topic_id = ADS_CATEGORY.ID WHERE ADS_CONTENT.ID = " & iadID

Of course you need to make sure your references to those recordset entities are renamed in your code as well...

interesting...I wonder why some people are getting errors where my sql statements used inner joins and not others...Also why would naming recordset field calls in the select fixed it for your instance?

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

ctsolutions

Germany
69 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2001 :  05:16:14  Show Profile  Visit ctsolutions's Homepage  Send ctsolutions an ICQ Message
quote:

quote:

Test here:
http://www.itc.dynip.com/kinser/classDetail.asp?id=2

i'm running this on sql 2000 and it's just fine..I've also tested it on sql 7 without a hitch? what was the problem you had?

- Alan
www.iamviet.com

On my Test Site is not running.Can you send me your Classified codes to test running with SQL 2000? Or give me a link to see it.

Regards,
ctsolutions

Edited by - ctsolutions on 16 February 2001 05:24:09
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2001 :  07:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

quote:

Hi...

Try this instead:

interesting...I wonder why some people are getting errors where my sql statements used inner joins and not others...Also why would naming recordset field calls in the select fixed it for your instance?

- Alan
www.iamviet.com

The error I originally got was a recordset ADO error -- something about not finding an ordinal value or similar -- you know the message. As I said earlier, SQL 7 Query Analyzer thought the resultant string was fine. However, when I ran it in VI, I got the error. There must be some subtle differences on how the SQL statement is interpreted, but I think thats a naive statement... Is there a serious SQL server guru on the list?

Anyway, using an alias solved my problem, so I'm happy!

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2001 :  07:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
The actual error message by the way was:

"An exception type "ADODB.Recordset: Item cannot be found corresponding to the requested name or ordinal" was not handled."

Strange how an alias would resolve this...

Go to Top of Page

mot

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2001 :  12:30:19  Show Profile  Visit mot's Homepage
I am using MS SQL7 and got this error when running classifieds_setup.asp

CREATE TABLE ADS_CONTENT (ID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL , TOPIC_ID INT, NAME VARCHAR(75), EMAIL VARCHAR(50), ADDRESS VARCHAR(100), DATE_POSTED VARCHAR(20), PRICE VARCHAR(20), AD_TITLE VARCHAR(75), CONTENT MEMO, CITY VARCHAR(50), ZIP VARCHAR(20), STATE VARCHAR(20), LINK VARCHAR(75), IMAGE_URL VARCHAR(75), ADDED_BY INT)
-2147217900 | [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Column or parameter #9: Cannot find data type MEMO.
CREATE TABLE ADS_CATEGORY (ID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL , CATEGORY_NAME VARCHAR(50), DESCRIPTION MEMO)
-2147217900 | [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Column or parameter #3: Cannot find data type MEMO.

Anyone got any ideas

Edited by - mot on 24 February 2001 12:30:45
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2001 :  14:49:42  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
have you uncommented the database type = sqlserver in config.asp?

the classifieds dbsetup thinks that you're using access.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

mot

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2001 :  08:23:03  Show Profile  Visit mot's Homepage
Yes, I have. Is there a way I bypass the access part and force the classifieds setup to use the sql server setup

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07