New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2003 :  18:35:13  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
I wish to give each member there own Blog when they join the forum, do you think this would be hard?
Has anyone done this?
I know FrutZle has done something like this by editing file to make the whole site into a blog, i do not wish to do this as i still want the main forum, just blogs aswell for each users.

(for FrutZle blog see here: http://www.rakkoon.com )

De Priofundus Calmo Ad Te Damine

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2003 :  22:03:48  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
there is a mod that floated around here during 3.1/3.3 releases that was called members journal or members guestbook (could be modified to do the same)

on a side note, I usually like buzz words, but for some reason, BLOG is really getting to be cliche. most people don't even really know what it is.

Go to Top of Page

DJBBIZ

214 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  15:28:41  Show Profile  Visit DJBBIZ's Homepage
http://www.shnforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2245

"The difference between good ideas and good results is performance"
the management institute | tmiFinance | tmiCreative | ProfileOnDemand
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  16:16:14  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
check out what Frutzle did here: http://www.rakkoon.com

pretty nice blog using Snitz base code.

Go to Top of Page

DJBBIZ

214 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  19:55:59  Show Profile  Visit DJBBIZ's Homepage
Yes I saw that and thought his graphic design is excellent. Everything he has is already built into the SeverHacker infrastructure which I assume is where some of his functions came from - existing mods added to the basic Snitz product. Using a fully modded site like ServerHacker can give all the options seen on Frutzle's site and a lot more...but blogs are supposed to have some element of simplicity and resisting the urge to load them up with options is a hard thing to do. I think this is where Frutzle does such a good job of design simplicity with basic functionality. My most basic premise is to create truly drop-in code on top of the SH portal since it already has so much infrastructure. Additionally I am interested in studying the Blog evolution as a business tool. I get a lot of good information and links from the Blog sites of many of the Macromedia employees, partners and programmers that are not only helpful but sometimes give you an inside track to some of the things happening in the industry.

Edited by - DJBBIZ on 12 May 2003 19:58:30
Go to Top of Page

Anacrusis

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  20:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Anacrusis's Homepage  Send Anacrusis an AOL message
I've done something like this for my users, Each user has a journal (blog) that they post entries to, they then can set the security level so everyone can see the entry, only them, or only people on their buddy list. It's pretty easy to do.
http://www.internet-clubhouse.com/journals/

The Internet ClubHouse
www.internet-clubhouse.com
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  20:47:15  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
Looks great, Anacrusis! Well done

(I wouldn't mind if you'd share the code... )

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Anacrusis

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  21:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Anacrusis's Homepage  Send Anacrusis an AOL message
sure, I'll get all the code together in a zip. It won't integrate with base snitz though, not without alot of code changes. But it should provide a start.

The Internet ClubHouse
Go to Top of Page

DJBBIZ

214 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  21:21:00  Show Profile  Visit DJBBIZ's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Anacrusis

sure, I'll get all the code together in a zip. It won't integrate with base snitz though, not without alot of code changes. But it should provide a start.

That is part of the problem with many major additions to the basic code is that they require a lot of local customization which many members, at least at SH are looking for a turn key solution. Many of the Snitz users are only using the base code as an integration into a more developed site and they like to play around with their web design and its inner workings.

What you have done looks great, did you find that your user base increased as a result of offering this or that the interaction among the members increased any?

Go to Top of Page

Anacrusis

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  21:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Anacrusis's Homepage  Send Anacrusis an AOL message
ok, here's the asp pages for my journals, untouched from my site.
http://www.internet-clubhouse.com/journals.zip
like I said, I'm only providing it as somewhere to start, if somebody want's to create a mod out of it, go ahead, I'll help out. I just don't have the time right now to create a real mod. I use SQL server, so I copied the tables I use into an access database and included that. Feel free to ask me any questions about it.

As far as adding interactivity to my site, the journals have helped a little, but I'm finding it difficult to get activity of any kind to happen, my site I found is very hard to market for, but little things like the journals really do help.

The Internet ClubHouse
Go to Top of Page

Anacrusis

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  21:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Anacrusis's Homepage  Send Anacrusis an AOL message
oh, and if you find any bugs in my code, please let me know so I can fix them on my site.. thanx

The Internet ClubHouse
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  14:50:20  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
Thanks Anacrusis, I will take a look at your code as soon as I find the time

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2003 :  09:21:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DJBBIZ

Everything he has is already built into the SeverHacker infrastructure which I assume is where some of his functions came from - existing mods added to the basic Snitz product.

I didn't use any functions other than the ones already provided by Snitz. All I did was cut away codes I thought were unnecessary, move things around a bit and add some CSS. Then I put some small things back in, but all changes are 100% mine and not "borrowed" anywhere as you suggested.
Take a look at http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=32518 for some more info (some of it's wrong by now though)
Go to Top of Page

DJBBIZ

214 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2003 :  13:47:08  Show Profile  Visit DJBBIZ's Homepage
One thing the forums will never do adequately is replace a live conversation where meaning can be clarified and understood in the right context...

"borrowed" sounds so bad! I meant that most of what is needed to do this kind of stuff is somewhere on this forum, I am beginning to think there is no original code, I seem to be able to find a routine to do anything everywhere. But it sounds like you chose to make your own modifications, which is what I am doing, but using existing mods as a base to start from, that will drop in and utilize the existing infrastructure without modifying the original base files.

The reality is a Forum or a Blog is just text, the difference is in the quality of the content and the presentation that carries the day, and your site has already exceeded these hurdles...that is what keeps people comming back. I think long-term with highspeed bandwidth and better and smaller code Rich Internet Applications will be the accepted norm, but we have a ways yet to go before all the pipes around the world can handle it.

By the way there have been a lot of additions to My Blog code, so go back and visit.

Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2003 :  19:27:46  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by FrutZle

quote:
Originally posted by DJBBIZ

Everything he has is already built into the SeverHacker infrastructure which I assume is where some of his functions came from - existing mods added to the basic Snitz product.

I didn't use any functions other than the ones already provided by Snitz. All I did was cut away codes I thought were unnecessary, move things around a bit and add some CSS. Then I put some small things back in, but all changes are 100% mine and not "borrowed" anywhere as you suggested.
Take a look at http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=32518 for some more info (some of it's wrong by now though)

have you ever considered making your source available? not that I want to copy what you've done. Just interested in the way you did yours. I am getting ready to start on one of my own after I return from New York in June.

Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2003 :  06:38:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dayve

have you ever considered making your source available? not that I want to copy what you've done. Just interested in the way you did yours. I am getting ready to start on one of my own after I return from New York in June.

I don't plan on releasing the code I use for this site. I have two reasons for that:
1- I'd rather give pointers and have someone figure it out for him/herself than handing over all the codes with an installation guide.
2- I don't want to be responsible for the problems my code could potentially cause. Also, support can suck big time, especially with "complex" MODs and people who don't know how to read an installation guide.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07