Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

potatohead
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2003 :  22:35:38  Show Profile
Hi all,
We have restricted registrations on our forum. The admin must approve new registrations.
I often forget to check the members pending page.
I would like to receive an email from the 'system' telling me that a member is pending approval. I searched the forums and saw that this is not available.

Anybody making a mod for this ?

Or is there a page that a 'bot' can scan daily to see if it has changed ?

Have a good day !

Edited by - ruirib on 17 February 2003 06:21:24

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2003 :  22:49:33  Show Profile
you don't have to check the "Members Pending Page". If there are potential members awaiting approval, you'll have a link next to your "Admin Options" link indicating as such (and showing how many are awaiting approval as well).
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2003 :  04:09:02  Show Profile
Richard, that only works if you have restrict registration turned on. After some code changes, I got it working regardless of that, so I can keep an eye on the number of pending members (which can grow a lot, especially since there are those who don't complete their registration).
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2003 :  04:15:28  Show Profile
But, then they would be "pending validation" not "pending approval".
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2003 :  04:31:03  Show Profile
You're right I misunderstood your answer.
I changed the wording for that link on my forums from "Member(s) awaiting approval" to "pending members" since it shows all pending members regardless of whether or not they have to be approved (I don't have that option turned on though).
Go to Top of Page

Mr Pink

United Kingdom
387 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2003 :  08:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Mr Pink's Homepage  Send Mr Pink an AOL message
I think it would be a good idea to show members pending next to the admin option. I have found that people with AOL email addresses have the most difficulty validating their email add's... I usually end up mailing them and asking them to reply to me so that I can approve their membership.

Martin
Leyland Forum Leyland Lancashire UK
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2003 :  08:28:02  Show Profile
As Richard said: If there are potential members awaiting approval, you'll have a link next to your "Admin Options" link indicating as such (and showing how many are awaiting approval as well).
This means you must have Restrict Registration (found in the Admin Options > Email Server Configuration) turned on, and must therefore manually approve the registrations of the pending members.
Go to Top of Page

potatohead
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2003 :  08:51:42  Show Profile
Thanks for the answers however I don't think I was clear enough in my original post. I don't go to our forums every day as I am often not in the office, therefore I don't log in every day.
Yes, there is a link advising me that Members are pending when I log in but if I don't log in, then I don't see it.

I would like an email sent to me (or a specified email address) to advise that someone has applied to be a member.

Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2003 :  09:01:11  Show Profile
You could just add yourself as a recipient to the registration email that's sent out.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

potatohead
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 17 February 2003 :  05:09:12  Show Profile
>> You could just add yourself as a recipient to the registration email that's sent out.

Umm.. my understanding is that NO emails are sent out to anyone until the forum admin approves the registration of the new member. Perhaps it's time for the smiley again ....

BTW How do I add an email address to the registration email going out ? Via a rule on my mail server or somewhere in Snitz ?

Go to Top of Page

potatohead
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2003 :  21:58:28  Show Profile
By the deafening silence I presume that it's pretty hard to get an email sent to the admin to advise that new members are awaiting approval ?
Go to Top of Page

potatohead
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2003 :  22:39:15  Show Profile
MMM.. I found this mod but, for me, it doesn't ever send an email. Anybody got it working with restricted registrations ?
Email Notification for User Registration
http://www.snitzbitz.com/mods/details.asp?Version=All&mid=112
This simply sends an email to the forum administrator when some one registers initially.
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2003 :  23:56:27  Show Profile
This is the code which initially send an e-mail to the user. It is in register.asp around lines 579-603... If strEmailVal is "1" then it shows a link back for validation...

if strEmail = "1" and strRestrictReg = "0" then
				'## E-mails Message to the Author of this Reply.
				strRecipientsName = Request.Form("Name")
				strRecipients = Request.Form("Email")
				strFrom = strSender
				strFromName = strForumTitle
				strsubject = strForumTitle & " Registration "
				strMessage = "Hello " & Request.Form("name") & vbNewline & vbNewline
				strMessage = strMessage & "You received this message from " & strForumTitle & " because you have .... (cut by bozden)
				if strAuthType="db" then
				'################################### E-mail Validation Mod #################################
					if strEmailVal = "1" then
						strMessage = strMessage & "Please click on the link below to complete your registration." & vbNewline & vbNewLine
						strMessage = strMessage & strForumURL & "register.asp?actkey=" & actkey & vbNewline & vbNewline
					else
				'######################################################################################
						strMessage = strMessage & "Password: " & Request.Form("Password") & vbNewline & vbNewline
					end if '<---- E-mail Validation Mod - 1 line #############
				end if
				strMessage = strMessage & "You can change your information at our website by selecting the ""Profile"" link." & vbNewline & vbNewline
				strMessage = strMessage & "Happy Posting!"
%>
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_mail.asp" -->
<%
'===> INSERT NEW CODE HERE <===

The easiest (and component independent) way is to add these lines just after the ones above:

if strEmailVal = "1" then
	strRecipients = strSender
	strRecipientsName = strForumTitle
	strFrom = strSender
	strFromName = strForumTitle
	strsubject = strForumTitle & " - NEW USER REGISTERED "
	strMessage = "Hi Master, reporting a new registration:" & vbNewLine 
	strMessage = strMessage & "Name:" & Request.Form("Name") & vbNewLine 
	strMessage = strMessage & "E-Mail:" & Request.Form("Email") & vbNewLine 
	%>
	<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_mail.asp" -->
	<%
end if

I did not try it, please do. I preferred to use a second e-mail because BCC is not allowed for all e-mail components and non-BCC methods would reveal that they are monitored...

Hope this helps.

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

potatohead
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 19 February 2003 :  04:36:50  Show Profile
Thanks for the code above. I'll give it a try
FYI I contacted the author of the mod at SnitzBitz and a 2nd version has appeard at http://www.snitzbitz.com/mods/details.asp?Version=&mid=112 I tested the beta 2 but it doesn;t work for me. I get a 500 Server error message ....
I'll try the new code above and report back
Go to Top of Page

potatohead
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 19 February 2003 :  04:46:58  Show Profile
It doesn't work for me.
I can register a new user but no email is sent.
I think I have probably messed up my register.asp page or made a simple error.

Could I impose on someone and send them my register.asp, they check and fix it and email it back
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 19 February 2003 :  05:01:31  Show Profile
Why not start with a fresh register.asp page and learn "how to fish"?

I assume that you have correct settings in admins section... For example, e-mail on & working, e-mail validation turned on, admin e-mail set, etc...

Are you sure that users get the e-mail?

It can be the case that the e-mail server does not allow e-mails sent to self. Try this in the added code:

strRecipients = "potatohead@hotmail.com" 'put another valid e-mail of yours here
	strRecipientsName = "Potato Head" 'your name :)

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07