Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2003 :  18:01:07  Show Profile
I am attempting to implement this mod on a new site I am designing, and am having some problems. I want to use this mod, OUTSIDE the forum, to display the last 8 topics posted on my forum. I have included the necessary includes, as listed in the readme for use outside the forum directory. My content display sub call looks like this:

DisplayContent 0, 0, 2, 8, 0, 8, 250, 16, 0, 0, 2, 1, "Recent Forum Posts", "98%", "topic.asp"

I created a new .asp page with only the includes and that one statement in it, and I get the following error message when attempting to view the page:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e10'

No value given for one or more required parameters.

/forum/content.asp, line 171

Any thoughts on what is going on? I am using Snitz 3.4.03, with an Access database. Thanks in advance for the assistance!
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2003 :  20:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
I would just make sure you have the most recent version of the mod. Download it from @tomic's site (http://www.skepticfriends.org/download/contentdisplay34.zip) instead of from Snitz Bitz. I think the Snitz Bitz file is older. Download that zip file and replace the content.asp and inc_contentdisplay.asp pages. That's the only thing I can come up with. I hope that helps!

Participate in my nonsense
Go to Top of Page

kingfenix
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2003 :  23:35:51  Show Profile
I can tell you that the problem, because I just suffered through getting this mod working myself..

you need to have the MsgIcons MOD installed, or atleast the database upgrades that it provides, I wouldnt recommend fully implementing it though because apparently it isnt ready for 3.4.03 quite yet...

Doug
Go to Top of Page

famdylan
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 23 February 2003 :  02:10:52  Show Profile
I ran into something similar to homeacademy except in article.asp instead of content.asp:

Error Type:
Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80040E10)
/forum/article.asp, line 141

here is the offending line

rsTopic.open strSql, strConnString, 3, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

anybody know what it is missing?
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 23 February 2003 :  11:46:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kingfenix

I can tell you that the problem, because I just suffered through getting this mod working myself..

you need to have the MsgIcons MOD installed, or atleast the database upgrades that it provides, I wouldnt recommend fully implementing it though because apparently it isnt ready for 3.4.03 quite yet...

Doug

Thanks for your reply. If possible, I would like to implement this mod without the msgicon mod. Per your suggestion, I downloaded the msgicon mod and did the database upgrade. I didn't do any of the code changes, just ran the .dbs file from Mod Setup. The database upgrade completed successfully, but I still get the error.

Any other ideas? Did I misunderstand your instructions? I can manually edit my database if I need to insert some inital values in to the msgicon fields. Thanks!

<edit to correct spelling>

Edited by - homeacademy on 23 February 2003 11:48:39
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 23 February 2003 :  21:20:15  Show Profile
I finally got this mod working, by running the database upgrade files for both the msgicon mod and the avatar mod. Many thanks to kingfenix for the help in getting this working!

quote:
Originally posted by famdylan

I ran into something similar to homeacademy except in article.asp instead of content.asp:

Error Type:

For you and others that are having the same problem as I was, I have zipped up the 2 database upgrades from the msgicon and avatar mods. They can be downloaded by clicking here. Note that the msgicon dbs file is run from Admin Options -> Mod Setup, while the code in the avatar database setup .asp file must be copied in to Admin Options -> Alternative Mod Setup. Also note that it is unnessary to run these files if you already have the msgicon and avatar mods installed. These files just allow this mod to work without msgicons and avatars. Let me know if this helps.
Go to Top of Page

famdylan
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2003 :  09:56:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by homeacademy

I finally got this mod working, by running the database upgrade files for both the msgicon mod and the avatar mod. Many thanks to kingfenix for the help in getting this working!

quote:

Error Type:

For you and others that are having the same problem as I was, I have zipped up the 2 database upgrades from the msgicon and avatar mods. They can be downloaded by clicking here. Note that the msgicon dbs file is run from Admin Options -> Mod Setup, while the code in the avatar database setup .asp file must be copied in to Admin Options -> Alternative Mod Setup. Also note that it is unnessary to run these files if you already have the msgicon and avatar mods installed. These files just allow this mod to work without msgicons and avatars. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks fo the info but the problem is I have both those mods installed and still can not get the thing to work. Is the missing parameters related to the databse if I know that then I can maybe figure it out.
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2003 :  21:21:26  Show Profile
quote:

Thanks fo the info but the problem is I have both those mods installed and still can not get the thing to work. Is the missing parameters related to the databse if I know that then I can maybe figure it out.

Yes. I believe the problem is related to the database, and more specifically that the problem is missing fields in the database. Are both the avatar and msgicon mods installed? If so, are they both working correctly? I did do a little research on these forums and concluded that missing fields in the database is the cause of the error message, at least in my case. It is also interesting that the 'error line' is the same for both you and I. If you post any additional information you have, I'll do my best to help.
Go to Top of Page

famdylan
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2003 :  09:44:10  Show Profile
Yeah I have both installed and working as far as I can tell. One thing I want to do is make a clean install of Snitz and redo the installs of those since I seem to have snockered the Active members page but that seems unrelated.

Homeacademy maybe if you email me an empty copy of your database or its layout I can compare it and see what field I am missing.

Edited by - famdylan on 25 February 2003 09:45:46
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2003 :  13:35:06  Show Profile
quote:

Yeah I have both installed and working as far as I can tell. One thing I want to do is make a clean install of Snitz and redo the installs of those since I seem to have snockered the Active members page but that seems unrelated.

Homeacademy maybe if you email me an empty copy of your database or its layout I can compare it and see what field I am missing.

I looked up more information on the specific error message, and found this site http://www.adopenstatic.com/faq/80040e10.asp It seems to explain all the different reasons that error might appear. Maybe it would help to check the offending line carefully for any syntax errors. Have you modified the Content Display code at all?

My database is heavily modded, and full of extra fields, so I don't think a copy would help you very much. I would make sure that the following is up to date:
  1. Content Display mod -- Have you downloaded any updates?
  2. Your Forum - I don't think this works with anything except 3.4.x
  3. The msgicon and avatar mods -- Make sure they are up to date as well

If everything is up to date, the next thing I would try would be to take a clean install of 3.4.03, and implement only the content display, avatar and msgicon mods. That would insure there are no conflicts between this mod and other mods. Let me know what results.
Go to Top of Page

kingfenix
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2003 :  10:02:25  Show Profile
would anyone be able to give me a asp file that puts the login on the left side like the demo site does?

I would love to get that...

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2003 :  10:48:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
You should get on the demo site and email the admin directly. This post really isn't the place to make a request like this. There are also other topics that deal with this issue.

Participate in my nonsense
Go to Top of Page

SagaService

108 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2003 :  09:42:57  Show Profile

Hi.

I have exactly the same problem as Homeacademy..! I'm getting the same error messsages, I have upgraded the Access DB (but NOT installed the Avator and MsgIcon MOD's). This is a copy of my sub string in the contentdisplay_tester.asp file:

<%

DisplayContent 1, 3, 2, 12, 0, 0, 200, 1, 5, 1, 1, 0, "Siste nytt frå VTI Fotball", 450, "news.asp"

WriteFooter

%>

Any ideas folks..?

Per Lund - Norway

quote:

I am attempting to implement this mod on my 3.4.03 forum, using and Access database (does this work with Access ) and had a couple of problems. I intend to use it to display the topics from one forum page to the site's main page, located outside the forum directory. I followed the instructions in the readme (upload the images, a couple of .asp pages, and update the getCurrentIcon funtion) to create a file called cdisp.asp with the following DisplayContent call:

<% 
DisplayContent 1, 8, 1, 8, 0, 5, 50, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, "Example of Community Forum", "75%", "topic.asp" 
%>

I used the INCLUDE VIRTUAL statements at the top/bottom of the page, because cdisp.asp is located outside the forum directory. A Page Not Found error was returned when I attempted to view the page in the browser. When looking at the address bar, it appears that my Access database is the missing file.

I moved the page to the forum directory and changed the include statements to INCLUDE FILE. This time, no Page Not Found error, but I had 2 other problems:

First, my forum is set to require registration, so anyone attempting to access it is first presented with a login screen. Since inc_header.asp is one of the includes, it asks me to login before viewing the cdisp.asp page as well. This is undesirable since I am using this mod on my main page, which needs to be viewable by non-registered members. Does anybody have a fix for this?

Second, after logging in to get past the initial problem, I am given the following error:

The few lines of code before/after 171 in content.asp are as follows:

set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
	rs.cachesize = 21

[Line 171]rs.open strSql, my_Conn, 3, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

if Not rs.EOF then
			arrTopicData = rs.GetRows(TopicCount,1)
			iTopicCount = UBound(arrTopicData, 2)
		else
			iTopicCount = ""
		end if

rs.close
set rs = nothing

Line 171 is in bold. Does anybody have any theories? Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2003 :  10:15:21  Show Profile
SagaService,

I fixed the problem you are having by running the database upgrades for the msgicon and avatar mods. I have a longer post above, but have quoted the revelant part below. If you download the .zip file containing the 2 database upgrades (link below), and run them, then things should work properly. Let me know if you have any problem.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2003 :  15:42:17  Show Profile
I finally have this MOD customized and working on my site. However, I have noticed a bug, which occurs when using this mod outside the forum. By including inc_header.asp, which is required, it displays the site logo, as well as the link bar and a login/logout form at the top of the page. However, the hyperlinks on the link bar are broken links. For example, my main directory is /test/, while my forum directory is /test/forum/. The page which utilizes the content display mod is located at /test/index.asp. When I click on the 'Register', the link points to /test/policy.asp, where the registration page is really located at /test/forum/policy.asp. The same is true for all the other links at the top, resulting in a number of broken links. Has anyone developed a workaround? Without severe modifications to inc_header.asp, inc_footer.asp, and others I am not sure what to do. Any ideas? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07