Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

ZeroAvengerX
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2003 :  07:02:27  Show Profile  Visit ZeroAvengerX's Homepage  Send ZeroAvengerX an AOL message  Send ZeroAvengerX a Yahoo! Message
try installing the mod and implimenting all the code

then run the DBS file once more after you install the mod

THEN reseting all the admins and global mods to what they need to be

when you run the DBS file it gives EVERYBODY access to the pannel, so that should clear it all up
Go to Top of Page

sentinel

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2003 :  20:41:54  Show Profile  Visit sentinel's Homepage
i had the same error so i took it off till i have time to look at the code more closely

Sentinel
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2003 :  11:10:09  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
Let me ask, is there anyone who has actually gotten this mod working correctly on their own forum? Before attempting re-implementation, I'd like to know if it's worth the time ...

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]

Edited by - richfed on 12 January 2003 11:11:01
Go to Top of Page

JLocke
Starting Member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2003 :  14:10:14  Show Profile
Awsome mod... Awsome... Kinda long to set up though, but awsome!

Hello...
Go to Top of Page

ZeroAvengerX
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2003 :  17:11:17  Show Profile  Visit ZeroAvengerX's Homepage  Send ZeroAvengerX an AOL message  Send ZeroAvengerX a Yahoo! Message
mine works fine
Go to Top of Page

fgenus
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2003 :  15:43:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Let me ask, is there anyone who has actually gotten this mod working correctly on their own forum? Before attempting re-implementation, I'd like to know if it's worth the time ...

Yes, finally...But it took some work and a bit of trial and error. It appears that the following steps need to be taken in this specific order:

-------------------------------------------------------
1) Copy the new files to your forum directory

2) Run the "Admin Level MOD" in MOD SETUP (to add the additional "M_ALEVEL" field to the FORUM_MEMBERS table.

3) You'll have to edit the database directly...Find the field "M_ALEVEL" in the FORUM_MEMBERS Table and set the value to "1" for your super admin account "admin", and anyone else you want to have access to Admin Options.

4) Make all of the code changes as noted in the readme.txt file.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Once that's done, the administrators with a "1" in the M_ALEVEL can access the Admin Options (The link will appear right below the LOGOUT button). They also have access to a dropdown list to grant or revoke access to Admin Options for the other members while editing that members profile.

Admins WITHOUT the "1" won't have the "Admin Options" link, and will only see the "Admin Options Allowed: No" statement in their profile without a dropdown.

Hope that helps.

- Frank.

Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2003 :  06:10:41  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
Thanks for the clear answer, Frank ...

Will get back to that mod this weekend. Appreciate the help!

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Tmpj

Denmark
467 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2003 :  09:17:11  Show Profile
Yeah! Very Very Great MOD!
Go to Top of Page

MarkJH

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2003 :  12:14:42  Show Profile  Visit MarkJH's Homepage
I wonder how David is getting on with the improved version?

I'm also wondering how it will handle MOD's that use admin level. I'm thinking Active Users and Private Messages (PM all Users) just off the top of my head.

Bandlink.net - http://www.bandlink.net/
Bandlink Music Forums - http://www.bandlink.net/forum/
Go to Top of Page

fgenus
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2003 :  14:06:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MarkJH

I wonder how David is getting on with the improved version?

I'm also wondering how it will handle MOD's that use admin level. I'm thinking Active Users and Private Messages (PM all Users) just off the top of my head.

I'm not 100% sure, but It seems like it would still work. the code changes just check for "M_ALEVEL = 1" in addition to the normal check for "M_LEVEL = 3". The only time you'd care about the "M_ALEVEL" field would be when an administrator is attempting to access any of the options from the admin menu.

- Frank.
Go to Top of Page

JLocke
Starting Member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2003 :  20:08:45  Show Profile
Okay... I have everything working or at least it seems, EXCEPT... When I try to view edit or any thing on someones (even me) profile, the page cannot be displayed. I have the full admin stuff, i am the super admin blah blah blah... but i think there is an error in Pop_profile.asp and i dont know what... any help?

Hello...
Go to Top of Page

sentinel

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 18 January 2003 :  09:21:52  Show Profile  Visit sentinel's Homepage
as soon as i add the lines into the pop_profile.asp i am no longer able to view there profiles.
I have installed the fields into the database and checked to make sure they are there.

Any idears.

Sentinel
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 18 January 2003 :  18:10:01  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
Success! Thank you, Frank! Following your instructions, step by step, resulted in the MOD working as advertised. A bit awkward, I'd say, and the ReadMe is not all that clear on the order of things - at least to me, and apparently to a few others, as well - but, in the end, I'm satisfied. Thanks, David K. for creating it!

To JLocke & Sentinel ... I checked this right off. Works fine on my forum. Do as Frank says! Also, check your copied & pasted code for errors or misplacement. It does work.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

fgenus
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2003 :  14:05:25  Show Profile
You're welcome.

The first big problem was that if you made the code changes before installing the MOD, then you crashed all over the place because the code was looking for the M_ALEVEL field which wouldn't exist in the table yet. CATCH-22!
The second problem was that even if you ran the MOD install first, then made the code changes, then tried to access the admin page, you couldn't because the M_ALEVEL field was set to "0" for everyone so nobody would be allowed access to the admin page. CATCH-22 again!

I suspect that David thought/thinks his MOD install automaticalyy assigns a "1" to the "M_ALEVEL" for all of the administrators, which it doesn't.

UPDATE: I just looked at the "dbs_AdminLevel.asp" file and it looks like that may be part of the problem.... The file looks like this:

------------------------------------------------------
Admin Level MOD (Default)
[ALTER]
MEMBERS
ADD#M_ALEVEL#int#NULL#0
[END]
[UPDATE]
MEMBERS
M_ALEVEL#1#M_LEVEL=3 and M_ALEVEL <>0
[END]
[UPDATE]
MEMBERS
M_ALEVEL#0#M_ALEVEL <> 1
[END]
----------------------------------------------

The two [UPDATE] lines don't seem to make sense for this MOD.

The first [UPDATE] is assigning a "1" to "M_ALEVEL" for all records where "M_LEVEL=3 and M_ALEVEL<>0". All administrators will have a "3" in M_LEVEL, but all of the values for "M_ALEVEL" will be "0" (meaning no records match the search criteria) and nothing would get updated. It should read like this:

[UPDATE]
MEMBERS
M_ALEVEL#1#M_LEVEL=3
[END]

The second [UPDATE] (which wouldn't be needed now anyway) is attempting to set M_ALEVEL to "0" for any records where M_ALEVEL isn't already set to "1". I would think that the only values in this field would be either "0" or "1". Again, if you remove the "and M_ALEVEL <>0" portion from the first [UPDATE], all of your administrators will have access to the Admin Page, then you could log as "admin" (the super admin), and edit the profile of each admin to grant/deny them access to the Admin Page.

I know... It sounds complicated, but it really isn't once you really think about it

Peace,

- Frank.

Edited by - fgenus on 23 January 2003 14:23:26
Go to Top of Page

GhettoDalaiLama

212 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2003 :  06:25:33  Show Profile  Visit GhettoDalaiLama's Homepage  Send GhettoDalaiLama an ICQ Message
There is a security bug in this. The current code doesn't check to see if the value of "ALEVEL" passed from pop_profile is authorized.

Example:

A global moderator can go into pop_profile to modify their own profile, but just replace the HTML source from

<tr>
                      <td bgColor="lightsteelblue" align="right" valign="middle" nowrap><b><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Admin Options Allowed: </font></b></td>
                      <td bgColor="lightsteelblue" valign="top">
                      <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">No</font>
                      <input type="hidden" value="0" name="Level">
                      </td>
                    </tr>

to

<tr>
                      <td bgColor="lightsteelblue" align="right" valign="middle" nowrap><b><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Admin Options Allowed: </font></b></td>
                      <td bgColor="lightsteelblue" valign="top">
                      <select value="1" name="ALevel">
                           <option value="0" selected>No</option>
                           <option value="1">Yes</option>
                      </select>
                      </td>
                    </tr>

then simply load the page from their local drive, change "Allow Admin Options" to "Yes" then submit the form and they can root ya.
There needs to be some sort of check function in place to see if their current ALEVEL is set to 0 then don't allow them to set an ALEVEL to 1.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07