Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 Snitz CSS with Theme Changer Finally! - Updated!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ric
Starting Member

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2002 :  18:19:04  Show Profile
Excellent, that worked fine Jim, thanks.

I kind of understand what your on about with the icon sets but won't bother playing with that just yet.

I've seen about a 10% reduction in page size which is not as much as I expected, but the response does seem better. So along with the extra flexability, a worthwhile upgrade! Will keep it on test and let my users hammer it b4 going live.

New Photo Album Mod demo
Go to Top of Page

manji
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07 December 2002 :  21:38:34  Show Profile  Visit manji's Homepage
I just upgraded from 3.4.03 -> CSS, fixed a bug; I think this is a great mod. It would be nice to have some sort of "override feature" that would allow the use of a custom CSS stylesheet for select themes. In this way, we can do rollover effects and much more by handcoding our own CSS.

=== the bug ===
When attempting to run css_setup.asp, config.asp crashed at line 354. "strShowThemeType" was not inserted into the database before hand. I looked through the mod files to see if this was programmed to insert before config.asp loaded, but I did not see it. I just added this row into the database manually and set it to 1 as was in css_setup.asp.

=== another bug ===
the "Form Element Background Color" javascript picker changes "Search HiLite Color" form element.

Edited by - manji on 07 December 2002 21:41:20
Go to Top of Page

robbear7

106 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2002 :  12:44:52  Show Profile  Visit robbear7's Homepage  Send robbear7 an AOL message  Send robbear7 an ICQ Message  Send robbear7 a Yahoo! Message
manji,

Thanks for the bug reports.

You can actually add on to the dynamic style sheet. Take a look at css_gen.asp and you'll notice it's basicly a style sheet. You can add on to the classes, it will simply just be hard coded instead of using a variable that can be changed in the admin control panel. The only downfall to this method is you will not beable to "theme" the hardcoded style.
Or alternatively you can download the Snitz CSS with no dynamic control panel which just simply uses an external CSS to style the forum. Although there is no theming built in, you can check out www.web-sn.com and his skinner script which would allow you to theme the forum anyways.

http://www.r7designer.com
Free Dreamweaver Templates and loads of help for CSS, XHTML and Web Standards.
Go to Top of Page

terryp

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2002 :  15:07:35  Show Profile  Visit terryp's Homepage
Have just added my xmas theme, it's here : http://d-c2.co.uk/forum if anyone wants to have a look. Log in as test and tester.

Go to Top of Page

robbear7

106 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2002 :  16:16:54  Show Profile  Visit robbear7's Homepage  Send robbear7 an AOL message  Send robbear7 an ICQ Message  Send robbear7 a Yahoo! Message
terryp,

Red is normally a dangerous color to theme any site with. You've managed to do this without making me see red spots after I've left the site. Good job

http://www.r7designer.com
Free Dreamweaver Templates and loads of help for CSS, XHTML and Web Standards.
Go to Top of Page

terryp

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2002 :  17:07:24  Show Profile  Visit terryp's Homepage
Thanks robbear. I usually hate the xmas stuff but I like the fact that I can just go into my profile and turn it off when I've had enough of it.

Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2002 :  13:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the bug reports Manji, I will fix them as soon as I get home...
We were thinking about implementing custom stylesheets, thats originaly what the strShowThemeType variable was for, I may implement this when I have time

terryp, glad you got the alternate images sorted :)
Go to Top of Page

aluminumcan

63 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2002 :  15:10:19  Show Profile
arrrggghhhh!

Why didn't I see this mod BEFORE I installed Snitz + mods?

Great work!

So, if I install this, what should I be concerned with in terms of it being an x.x.02 version (instead of the x.x.03 version?)

Also, were nested tables elminated, or just the font tags?
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2002 :  15:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
hehe, sorry about the having to re-add all your mods :p

The security issues for Snitz CSS are the same as with Snitz version 3.4.02, when I have time I will write an update script for Snitz CSS so you will hae all the latest updates (i will probably include all the security fixes since .03 was released as well)

I am not quite sure what changes Rob made when he converted the forums to CSS (I wrote the interface, he did the CSS side of things), but I am prety sure he wouldnt of un-nested the tables, doing so would mess up the table borders on some browsers... and we were not only aiming for smaller faster code, but code that would work in as many browsers as possible (and degrade well in older browsers)

Any other queries, just ask

One final note (not directed at anyone in particular, just reitterating): Before you upgrade an existing database... BACK IT UP!!! I dont want to be responsible for you losing all your posts
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2002 :  16:17:59  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Easy fix for the first bug when setting up...
Step 1:
in config.asp
strShowThemeType = rsInfo("C_VALUE")
should be
If NOT rsInfo.EOF Then strShowThemeType = rsInfo("C_VALUE")

And the fix for the other bug...
Step 1:
in admin_config_colors.asp
" <td class=""popuptable""><input type=""text"" name=""strFormElementTextColor"" size=""10"" maxLength=""20"" value=""" & chkExist(rs("strFormElementTextColor")) & """ onblur=""FormElementTextColor.style.backgroundColor = strFormElementTextColor.value;"" />" & _
" <a href=""JavaScript:void(0)"" onclick=""openWindowColor('pop_color.asp?box=strSearchHiLiteColor&shw=SearchHiLiteColor&type=bg');"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconColor,"","") & "</a>" & vbNewLine & _

should be
" <td class=""popuptable""><input type=""text"" name=""strFormElementTextColor"" size=""10"" maxLength=""20"" value=""" & chkExist(rs("strFormElementTextColor")) & """ onblur=""FormElementTextColor.style.backgroundColor = strFormElementTextColor.value;"" />" & _
" <a href=""JavaScript:void(0)"" onclick=""openWindowColor('pop_color.asp?box=strFormElementTextColor&shw=FormElementTextColor&type=bg');"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconColor,"","") & "</a>" & vbNewLine & _

Step 2:
in admin_config_colors.asp
" <td class=""popuptable""><input type=""text"" name=""strFormElementBackgroundColor"" size=""10"" maxLength=""20"" value=""" & chkExist(rs("strFormElementBackgroundColor")) & """ onblur=""FormElementBackgroundColor.style.backgroundColor = strFormElementBackgroundColor.value;"" />" & _
" <a href=""JavaScript:void(0)"" onclick=""openWindowColor('pop_color.asp?box=strSearchHiLiteColor&shw=SearchHiLiteColor&type=bg');"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconColor,"","") & "</a>" & vbNewLine & _

should be
" <td class=""popuptable""><input type=""text"" name=""strFormElementBackgroundColor"" size=""10"" maxLength=""20"" value=""" & chkExist(rs("strFormElementBackgroundColor")) & """ onblur=""FormElementBackgroundColor.style.backgroundColor = strFormElementBackgroundColor.value;"" />" & _
" <a href=""JavaScript:void(0)"" onclick=""openWindowColor('pop_color.asp?box=strFormElementBackgroundColor&shw=FormElementBackgroundColor&type=bg');"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconColor,"","") & "</a>" & vbNewLine & _

I will ask Rob to add these changed files to the zip
Let me know if you find any more bugs
Go to Top of Page

manji
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2002 :  23:55:03  Show Profile  Visit manji's Homepage
Thanks for the bug fixes, I have personally added two settings to the css code to associate a CSS style to the forum's containing table. This allowed me to put a separate border around the forum similar to phpbb, although phpbb does something different with their tables. This modification required very little changes initially, but I had to fix some of the forum's code to get rid of some quirks that generated some empty rows.

You can see an example on the forum I started at http://www.aikido-shobukan.org/forum.

If I do the port to ASP.net, I'd like the css-generator to automatically detect the height of the background image and set the cell accordingly.

Go to Top of Page

UGBC

143 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2003 :  00:58:18  Show Profile
Well apparently, this has lost some steam, and I thought it could use a little ^bump^ But I'm going to attempt to convert my current forums to this css version, however I've got a question. My entire site currently uses a template created in dreamweaver mx, and runs off a stylesheet (no tables, very fast, i love it). Now I only assisted in writing the code for the template and stylesheet, but we like to have consistency on the site, so is it possible to load both stylesheets, and apply the forums to a pre-created template. My main premonition is this is possible by applying changes to the inc_header.asp because that seems to be included in every page. Please, let me know if what i'm saying makes any sense, or is at all plausible.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  20:24:54  Show Profile
YIKES !!! ... I need this MOD but none of the download links or demo sites work
Go to Top of Page

TestMagic

USA
1568 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  20:56:27  Show Profile  Visit TestMagic's Homepage
Yes, I'm finding out the same thing. Robbie's old domain name expired, so nothing there.

I'm going to make a post on Robbie's new site, here.

BTW, from reading through the posts, it seems that the "MOD" is actually the whole forum with the code applied (would seem to be the only way to do it). Your forum is heavily MODded, if I recall correctly, but I suppose you could go through and find the changes and apply them where necessary.

Snitz rocks! · Search 2
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  21:06:36  Show Profile
I have LOTS of MODs installed . But from comments on my bandwidth thread and other bits I have read, I am confident I can install this MOD. I was also interested in the comments on r7designer about the removal of tables. My site is heavily tabled for the layout, maybe removing tables will reduce the page footprint even more, but it sounds like I need to concentrate on the fonts at the moment.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07