Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 Snitz CSS with Theme Changer Finally! - Updated!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

ZeroAvengerX
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2002 :  13:28:24  Show Profile  Visit ZeroAvengerX's Homepage  Send ZeroAvengerX an AOL message  Send ZeroAvengerX a Yahoo! Message
OH YEAH i do have one problem with my server not the forum, if anyone knows how to fix it would be nice
i run a windows 2000 advanced server w/IIS 5.0 cable modem connection

when people post things and then go to pages like active.asp or default.asp it doesnt pick up the post unless you refresh the page

i was told this has something to do with the Cache but i toyed with that and nothing changed, i also disable keep alive requests, but none of that worked

this problem has existed with more than just the forum, just about all pages on my server have it, so if anyone knows how to help i would be REALLY HAPPY
Go to Top of Page

ZeroAvengerX
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2002 :  13:29:47  Show Profile  Visit ZeroAvengerX's Homepage  Send ZeroAvengerX an AOL message  Send ZeroAvengerX a Yahoo! Message
and lastly, to the creators of the CSS forum, you should add scrollbar color changes like i did, i have a pretty nice selection method for it too if you want the coding i used, i also added some things to the input text area thing
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2002 :  20:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Your forum looks fine to me...

I used strSql = strSql & ", NULL" because it wouldnt add/update the record the other way, It works fine for most people like that so I never changed it back...

To prevent caching you could try a comination of these in your header.asp (or config.asp)...
Response.Expires = 15
Response.Expiresabsolute = Now() - 48
Response.AddHeader "pragma","no-cache"
Response.CacheControl = "no-cache"
Response.AddHeader "cache-control","private"

Good idea about the scrollbars, I will add that when I have time...

Edited by - Serevinus on 27 November 2002 20:55:36
Go to Top of Page

Ric
Starting Member

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2002 :  12:38:59  Show Profile
I upgraded to 3.4.03 last week from 3.3.x and was hit by what seems like a common problem - a decrease in forum reponse times. I got the usual standard rely of "it's not the forum, it's your server" even when all other pages, including my own ASP stuff gets served perfectly rapidly. Ok, so I though if it's the server, lets look at the pages sizes and HTML code. Talk about heavy weight!! I was shocked at how poor the HTML implementation was, looked some novice had whacked it together in FrontPage with all those font tags everywhere! My first thought was remove the tags and I took 30% of the code from a downloaded sample page. Next thought was how do I convert to use proper style sheets and get rid of all the crap code. Now I don't need to thanks to you guys!

Definately be dowloading and installing this in the very near future!

New Photo Album Mod demo

Edited by - Ric on 28 November 2002 12:41:37
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2002 :  16:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Ric :)
Let us know if you run into any problems
Go to Top of Page

ZeroAvengerX
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2002 :  19:30:50  Show Profile  Visit ZeroAvengerX's Homepage  Send ZeroAvengerX an AOL message  Send ZeroAvengerX a Yahoo! Message
serevinus i used Response.CacheControl = "no-cache" (in config under Const intCookieDuration = 30) but do you know how to configure an actual server rather than pages?

and by the way, here is the coding i used for my scrollbars, but you might wanna make a seprate scrollbar configuration section in the datbase and admin options or under styles

(this is just my whole CSS body tag not only scrollbars)
Response.Write "body {" & vbCrLf & _
" color : " & StyleDetails("strDefaultFontColor") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" font : " & GetCSSFontSize(StyleDetails("strDefaultFontSize")) & " " & StyleDetails("strDefaultFontFace") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" background-color : " & StyleDetails("strPageBGColor") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" scrollbar-3dlight-color : " & StyleDetails("strHorizontalRuleColor") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" scrollbar-base-color : " & StyleDetails("strPageBGColor") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" scrollbar-darkshadow-color : " & StyleDetails("strHorizontalRuleColor") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" scrollbar-highlight-color : " & StyleDetails("strFormElementBackgroundColor") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" scrollbar-shadow-color : " & StyleDetails("strForumCellColor") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" scrollbar-arrow-color : " & StyleDetails("strHorizontalRuleColor") & ";" & vbCrLf
Call GenerateImage(StyleDetails("strPageBGImageUrl"), StyleDetails("strBackgroundRepeat"))
Response.Write "}" & vbCrLf

and here is the coding for the input areas (donno if i mentioned that up there) but you might want a configurable thing for them too
Response.Write "input, textarea, option {" & vbCrLf & _
" background-color : " & StyleDetails("strFormElementBackgroundColor") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" color : " & StyleDetails("strFormElementTextColor") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" font : " & GetCSSFontSize(StyleDetails("strFormElementFontSize")) & " " & StyleDetails("strFormElementFont") & ";" & vbCrLf & _
" border : 1px solid " & StyleDetails("strHorizontalRuleColor") & ";" & vbCrLf
Call GenerateImage(StyleDetails("strFormElementBackgroundImage"), "")
Response.Write "}" & vbCrLf

Edited by - ZeroAvengerX on 28 November 2002 19:33:29
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2002 :  22:14:54  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the code, I may well make a few changes to it though :)

Re setting up IIS not to cache... (this is in IIS 5.1 which may or may not be the same as IIS 5.0)
Load c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\iis.msc (or wherever you installed it)
Navigate to the item marked "Web Sites" in the IIS tree, and load up the properties sheet for it
Go to the "HTTP Headers" tab on the properties sheet
Check the "Enable Content Expiration" box and change the settings to whatever you think you need
In addition to that you can add the "pragma: nocache" and "expires: -1" headers

You can also do this
Go to the "Home Directory" tab
Click the "Configuration" button
Go to the "Cache Options" tab, and try changing the settings

Dont forget to apply the changes and restart IIS... its usualy better to use c:\windows\System32\iisreset.exe than the restart function in iis.msc

Hope that helps, Let me know if it does/doesnt :)

If you ever need help with anything web related, I have just started a new forum at http://forum.quicksilverwd.com/, not many posts yet as my search engine submissions have yet to be processed

Edited by - Serevinus on 28 November 2002 22:21:49
Go to Top of Page

ZeroAvengerX
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2002 :  08:47:09  Show Profile  Visit ZeroAvengerX's Homepage  Send ZeroAvengerX an AOL message  Send ZeroAvengerX a Yahoo! Message
ok there is no cache control in home directory on 5.0, sux for me, i did the headers thing though, and it still doesnt work without the Response.CacheControl = "no-cache" code
Go to Top of Page

ZeroAvengerX
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2002 :  08:58:09  Show Profile  Visit ZeroAvengerX's Homepage  Send ZeroAvengerX an AOL message  Send ZeroAvengerX a Yahoo! Message
im not even POSITIVE it is a cache problem, but the no-cache asp stuff fixed that, so i guess it must be, but there arent any cache options in 5.0, but i know 5.1 is an XP Pro one, meant only for testing, because it limits the # of viewers, which sux, but anyways, im still stumped
Go to Top of Page

Ric
Starting Member

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2002 :  10:36:23  Show Profile
Serevinus, I tried it last night - fresh install up and running in around 1 minute, give or take a few seconds. Lovely. Then tried to install it with my 3.4.03 database of my current forum and the setup crashed.

Gonna play some more tonight and report back with the actual errors if it happens again.

New Photo Album Mod demo
Go to Top of Page

terryp

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2002 :  10:48:07  Show Profile  Visit terryp's Homepage
Ric, you're better using the updater zip that serevinus posted on your old db then putting your mods back individually.

Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2002 :  13:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Ric, download the Update Scripts and Snitz CSS, then follow the update instructions in snitzcssupdater.zip, you have to update the database before you upload the Snitz CSS files or you will get errors
Go to Top of Page

Ric
Starting Member

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2002 :  14:29:52  Show Profile
S'ok guys, sorted it. Confused myself by setting up the CSS version from scratch and then trying to drop in my exisint gdatabase into that directory. Took a copy of my complete original and RTFM. Once I'd finally found the database than got MOD'ed (not the copy I'd placed in the test directory (oops!) It all started working ok!

BTW I've not got any MODs at all on my current live version, making pgrading to CSS so much easier. I will be applying mods later though. Thanks!

New Photo Album Mod demo
Go to Top of Page

Ric
Starting Member

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2002 :  16:37:51  Show Profile
Ah - erm somethings up. No images appearing when you're not logged in!

http://www.aircooled-rd.com/test/default.asp

Looks like they need to be in the forum root still. I thought I could remove them from there? Oh well, at least I managed to apply a mod with no problems.

New Photo Album Mod demo
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2002 :  17:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Go to the style configuration page (admin cp) and check that your default style is configured to use default/ as the images location
Let me know how that works
If thats the problem I wil modify the update script

Note to people who want to use non-standard icons:
If you dont want to use the standard snitz icons in the theme called Default (you want to use your own icons for example), you should put them in another directory and change the Default themes images location to match...
If you do create a new iconset, you should edit the inc_iconfiles.asp in that image directory to contain the correct image height and width...
Finaly, you should add case statement for the iconset in your forum roots inc_iconfiles.asp (should be the same format as the 2 case's in there already, you just need to make sure you specify the right directory and theme name)

Its simpler than it sounds... honest :)

Edited by - Serevinus on 29 November 2002 17:19:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07