DEV Discussions (Oracle)
 i am stuck
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rahanini
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - 12 October 2002 :  16:14:42  Show Profile  Send Rahanini an AOL message
Hello,

I am stuck on my porting progress. I am having a problem where all my data that comes back from my oracle 8i database ...is coming back as strings. I have been posting for help in discussion forums all over the place and people have suggested that the problem may be in the method data is brought back in the ASP pages.

However, recordsets are supported in Oracle as most of the data is brought back with the command getrows()...so im thinking it might be something else.

A suggestion by someone was:

I'm not sure what API getrows() is a part of, but it's not straight ODBC. I assume that you're using some API on top of ODBC. I would assume that this API was (or ought to be) requesting the data types for the various columns, then requesting the data from those columns in the appropriate format. My suspicion is that the code in this higher-level API is doing something incorrectly.

I am not sure what this means...but this is the farthest I have gotten in trying to solve this problem.

Oh, and i am trying to install oracle 9i on my system (as 9i is supporting some more sql commands that might make the porting easier) and get my code that i got working on 8i working, however i am getting this error:

Specified Driver could not be loaded due to system error 5

If anyone has any insight , please help!! why did i become a computer programmer again?...umm...

Thanks
Rahanini<

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 12 October 2002 :  16:32:12  Show Profile
quote:
I'm not sure what API getrows() is a part of, but it's not straight ODBC. I assume that you're using some API on top of ODBC. I would assume that this API was (or ought to be) requesting the data types for the various columns, then requesting the data from those columns in the appropriate format. My suspicion is that the code in this higher-level API is doing something incorrectly.

When GetRows is used the data is returned in a two dimensional array.
data = recordset.GetRows
if you queried two fields and two rows are returned, you will read the values for each field returned from the db as below

First row
FieldOne value = data(0, 0)
FieldTwo Value = data(1, 0)
Second row
FieldOne value = data(0, 1)
FieldTwo Value = data(1, 1)

<

Edited by - GauravBhabu on 12 October 2002 16:33:47
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 12 October 2002 :  18:38:32  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
getRows is part of ADO(ActiveX Data Objects). This seems to work with the databases we've been using so far.
Have you tried checking the returned values without using getRows, just to see if they are returned as strings as well?<

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07