Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 12 March 2001 :  12:45:25  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Erik,

One other query...

It looks like the last SQL statement that is giving me the problem is simply trying to set a new value for the topic view count(TOPICS.T_VIEW_COUNT) Is this correct? If so, shouldn't this be incremented only after someone has actually viewed the content of the post? I'm not sure if simply displaying a link to a topic should be the criteria to increment this value -- IMHO.

I might be off base here... I'm still trying to debug things...

BTW, this is a GREAT mod with lots of potential to easily expand it's functionality. Well done!!

Cheers!

Rob

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 12 March 2001 12:46:59
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 12 March 2001 :  13:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Ohhh.....

I get it! Display Mode = 1 displays the actual topic content and so you update the count... fine! This leaves the question of why fTopicID is no longer valid when you want to update Topic View Count.

Still working on it...

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 12 March 2001 :  13:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Erik...

Possible solution...

Since the rs recordset that you create just beofere you update the TOPICS.T_VIEW_COUNT, why don't you use the rs("Topic_ID") to set the TOPICS.TOPIC_ID instead? In other words for the last statement use this:

strSql = strSql & " WHERE (" & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.TOPIC_ID = " & rs("Topic_ID") & ");"

instead of:
	strSql = strSql & " WHERE (" & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.TOPIC_ID = " & fTopicID & ");"

This seems to work, any objections with this approach?

Cheers,

Rob

PS: I think I found an actual problem setting the rs = nothing at the end of the SetFirst sub -- when it loops back to the calling code, (the case select statement) I get an VBScript runtime error:"Object required: 'rs' not handled". I think you should set the rs = nothing statement at the end of the calling sub before it returns to the code that called the display.asp. Could you comment on this?

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 12 March 2001 13:26:40
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 12 March 2001 :  13:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Ok...

I moved the rs=nothing statement to the last line of the sub DisplayTopics. Here are the last 4 lines of this sub with my change:

</table>
<!--# Display Topic List From Snitz Forums 2000 - END -->
<%
set rs = nothing
end sub

This solves this problem. Do you have a problem with this? I don't understand how this would have worked with other users -- has no one else used display mode 1? Are the files not updated properly? (I just downloaded last week)

I'd appreciate some feedback before I keep modfying the code -- only to find out there are newer versions!!

Cheers!

Rob

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 12 March 2001 13:38:46
Go to Top of Page

gmcm
Starting Member

South Africa
34 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2001 :  10:35:33  Show Profile
nope

I get this error

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01c2'

Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment: 'DisplayTopics'

/forums/displaytest.asp, line 11

displaytest.asp

<html>
<head>
</head>

<body style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10pt">
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="config.asp" -->
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_functions.asp" -->
<hr>
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="display.asp" -->
<%
DisplayTopics 17, 2, 0, 4 ' Viser formandens nyhedsbreve
%>

</body>

</html>

Go to Top of Page

gmcm
Starting Member

South Africa
34 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2001 :  11:56:39  Show Profile
Ok i sorted that by adding another
<%
DisplayTopics 17, 2, 0, 3, 5' Viser formandens nyhedsbreve
%>

But - i dont see the real benefit of this over say the Active Topics page?

i run about 6 categories each with say 10 forums at the http://www.666th.com and would really like to take the last unvisited or say ten last posts from all the categories to be displayed on the site's frontpage

this mod does not do that

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2001 :  21:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

Ok i sorted that by adding another
<%
DisplayTopics 17, 2, 0, 3, 5' Viser formandens nyhedsbreve
%>

i run about 6 categories each with say 10 forums at the http://www.666th.com and would really like to take the last unvisited or say ten last posts from all the categories to be displayed on the site's frontpage

TRY THE SLASH VERSION 2 MOD...

Here: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&Forum_Title=MOD+Add%2DOn+Forum+%28W%2FCode%29&Topic_Title=Slash+MOD+ver+2%2E00&CAT_ID=17&FORUM_ID=25&TOPIC_ID=1660

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 14 March 2001 07:49:11
Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2001 :  03:20:41  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
quote:

The main difference between this and the Active Topics page is that whenever a new user enters the site, then if he/she looks up the Active Topics page, then she (at least in my forum) will see approx. 1500 active topics. With this you can i.e. display just the most recent topics, and just parts of it on i.e. the frontpage of your website.
Also with this add on you can create forums with special moderators that are allowed to update more editoral pages on your website. With other add ons you can hide these forums from the other members, so that they only see the "real" forums.

I personally would not use

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2001 :  07:53:26  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

The main difference between this and the Active Topics page is that whenever a new user enters the site, then if he/she looks up the Active Topics page, then she (at least in my forum) will see approx. 1500 active topics. With this you can i.e. display just the most recent topics, and just parts of it on i.e. the frontpage of your website.
Also with this add on you can create forums with special moderators that are allowed to update more editoral pages on your website. With other add ons you can hide these forums from the other members, so that they only see the "real" forums.

I personally would not use

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst

And may I say: Thanx for this cool Mod Ernst!

Also I copied out my topics.asp, renamed the copy to news.asp, made all references in display. asp to news instead of topics. modified news.asp to only contain the article itself and made links only for Next and previous articles...voila - no unwanted user interfrence with my forum.

- Maybe however Ernst - if u have time and will, this cool mod could be modified to be one of the coolest mods of all to schnitz - when using the displayMAX mode...you should be able to post a "more" GIF that leads to the article itself...

- another idea...would it be possible to modify display.asp (and maybe post.asp? so that you are able to post linkable pictures? - or could I use the links manager for this?

Also would it be possible to change it to a "iclude" file - so that we could start playing with pictures and text layout?
- Well that´s it for now...

MPH73

Go to Top of Page

bugzy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2001 :  12:54:30  Show Profile  Visit bugzy's Homepage
anyone else have a sample site ?
with the mod in it ?

Go to Top of Page

davis
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 March 2001 :  09:21:22  Show Profile  Visit davis's Homepage  Send davis a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Did you find out if there was a fix for this in the link mentioned below?

I can't find this code:

if strRqMethod = "Forum" or _
strRqMethod = "EditCategory" or _
strRqMethod = "EditForum" or _
strRqMethod = "EditURL" then

referenced in the setup text file in my post page.

-Paul

I couldn't find this code either. It appears to be a mod I don't have, and I installed the category mod recommended for this mod. In any case, I just ignored this change, as I could find no code that seemed to have the same function. It seems to work fine without this change. So, if you can find it, try it anyway. Just be sure and back up your original post.asp first.

dgmccown@whitehorseinc.com
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 20 March 2001 :  15:56:07  Show Profile
Are u going to update the mod soon? ... PLEEAASSEEE

We need a posting option, that will let u post a linkable picture and only show content of topic ... no header/poster or anything ... just the picture

AND...

The option of "Read more"...posibbly a new version of topic, that doesnt include the Inc_top...is that possible?

MPH73

Edited by - morpheus73 on 20 March 2001 15:57:16
Go to Top of Page

bugzy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 22 March 2001 :  23:34:02  Show Profile  Visit bugzy's Homepage
what would i need to add to the display option 1 .. that shows only the name of the topic ... but id like to add maybe the first 15-20 characters of the content

so it'd look like the following:

How to post new topic - The way to post new articles is by ... click here
How to reply to a topic - To post a reply, you must ... click here

blah blah .. sometime like that
basically have about 1 sentence following the topics name

Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  08:17:13  Show Profile
Richard has released a new sort categories mod, is it possible to update your mod accordingly? Or post all the modified files for download would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edited by - bjlt on 27 March 2001 08:18:44
Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  09:01:11  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Are u going to update the mod soon? ... PLEEAASSEEE

I've been unavailable for a while - sorry.

I will release a update within a few days. But I can't promise too many changes, except that I will look at the issues with the sort mod.

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07