New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

(.)z

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2001 :  18:38:10  Show Profile  Visit (.)z's Homepage  Send (.)z an AOL message  Send (.)z an ICQ Message  Send (.)z a Yahoo! Message
quote:
I also use the physical path for my connstring so no matter what I did I wuoldn't have had this issue. Glad you found it and thanks a bunch for the smileys fix.

It's the connstring that was causing the problem all along. I have it working v.nicely now. Thanx

Regards - z - http://www.discuss-online.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2001 :  10:13:42  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
I'm currently working on the change to limit the number of characters displayed for each Topic. But I'm having a problem. How can I limit the Message field?

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page

DewyattStanfield
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 02 February 2001 :  03:46:28  Show Profile
OK, in the zip file I included I have an if then statement in there that really only applies to my site. Here is that code

myPath = Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO") %>
<% if mypath = "/remo_wrld.asp" then%>
<tr>
<td bgcolor="<% =strForumCellColor %>" valign="center" align="left"><font face="<% =strDefaultFontFace %>" size="<% =strDefaultFontSize %>"><a href="<%=strForumURL%>topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=<% =rs("TOPIC_ID") %>&FORUM_ID=<% =fForumID %>&CAT_ID=<% =rs("CAT_ID") %>"><% =ChkString(left(rs("T_SUBJECT"), 15),"display") %>... </font></td>
<td bgcolor="<% =strForumCellColor %>" valign="center" align="left"><font color="<% =strForumFontColor %>" face="<% =strDefaultFontFace %>" size="<% =strFooterFontSize %>"><% =ChkDate(rs("T_DATE")) %></font></td>
</tr>
<%else%>

<tr>
<td bgcolor="<% =strForumCellColor %>" valign="center" align="left"><font face="<% =strDefaultFontFace %>" size="<% =strDefaultFontSize %>"><a href="<%=strForumURL%>topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=<% =rs("TOPIC_ID") %>&FORUM_ID=<% =fForumID %>&CAT_ID=<% =rs("CAT_ID") %>"><% =ChkString(left(rs("T_SUBJECT"), 200),"display") %> </font></td>
<td bgcolor="<% =strForumCellColor %>" valign="center" align="left"><font color="<% =strForumFontColor %>" face="<% =strDefaultFontFace %>" size="<% =strFooterFontSize %>"><% =ChkDate(rs("T_DATE")) %></font></td>
</tr>
<%end if%>

Delete the code in red it won't bother you at all.

Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 02 February 2001 :  08:56:23  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
quote:

OK, in the zip file I included I have an if then statement in there that really only applies to my site. Here is that code

snap....<% =ChkString(left(rs("T_SUBJECT"), 15),"display") %>...snap

The left(str, x) was also the way I finanlly figured out to solve it by.

I will be uploading a new version with this feature later today.

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2001 :  06:34:22  Show Profile
Content management system
Is it possible to set some page retrieve the newest articles from the asigned categories/topics at designated
interval?
e.g. the editors put the articles to the database, and modify some pages as editor's choice,
while for the other colums, just show up the newest articles with the title, limited characters, a link of
read the whole story, and a link to the whole category/topic? Let's say the page will update once and hour?

I wonder how your board choose what to show on the pages? Is there a program for them to select what
to show (topic id selection) or they just tell some others to alter the id in the pages? Shouldn't be difficult to
make this i suppose and it would be also easier for the editors.
Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2001 :  08:38:48  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
This is more or less what it's doing. In general you would properly dedicate some forums for this purpose.

Then you have a sub that you simply inserts on the pages where you want your topics/messages displayed.

The parameters in the sub call is here:
sub DisplayTopics(fForumID, DisplayMode, tOrder, DisplayMax, MessageMax)
' fForumID = the Forum ID of the forum to be displayed
' DisplayMode:
' 0 = Just display a list of the Subjects - Links into the Forums Topic
' 1 = Display All Topics (except Closed/Locked) with Full Text
' 2 = First displays a list of the Subjects - then on the same pages
' a all the Topics with Internal Links on the Page
' tOrder: Search Order for the Topics
' 0 = By Posted Date
' 1 = By Topics Order field
' DisplayMax: Maximum number of topics to display
' MessageMax: Maximum number of chars in Message.
' If 0 then full message. Works only with Display mode = 1

With this knowledge you can setup that some forum's are displayed in full, some you only display i.e. the first three (based on either sort order or date - newest first), some forums you migth just want to display the subject with the option of going directly to the full forum to read it.

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2001 :  17:27:47  Show Profile
DisplayMax, MessageMax

these two are new and not in your zip file.
do you suggest me to work out them? I wish I could but I just start to learn asp. :-(

Is it completed or still under working?
btw, will the new version consider the suggests and fix mentioned in this topic?

Thanks, it's a great mod.

Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2001 :  18:07:20  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
quote:

DisplayMax, MessageMax
these two are new and not in your zip file.
do you suggest me to work out them? I wish I could but I just start to learn asp. :-(

Is it completed or still under working?
btw, will the new version consider the suggests and fix mentioned in this topic?

DisplayMax was in the ZIP and was also mentioned earlier in this topic.
MessageMax is new and is now included. I'm sorry about that.

Besides that, then I've added some of the fixes mentioned here in this topic. I've not added the SQL specific changes, since I don't have a SQL Server running here, and the descriptions in this topics was not just to "Cut & Paste".

The next plans with this mod is optional text in the bottom with no. of replies and a button to reply to topic directly.

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2001 :  04:05:56  Show Profile
Thanks.
I'd like to make it a small web publishing system. (only) the editors post in the forum (seperated from the community's) and then pulled out as webpages. I'll tweak the layout of the forum, make it several columns instead of table. I'd also make the replies seperated from the topic. It will more or less like headlines, contents, post your replies, view others opinions etc. the replies will open in a pop up window.

Hope this would be somewhat helpful to you. I guess one can tweak the system the way they want. and this is really a great mod or we can say it's a content management system rather than a mod.

:-)
Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2001 :  04:16:10  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
quote:
I'd like to make it a small web publishing system. (only) the editors post in the forum (seperated from the community's) and then pulled out as webpages. I'll tweak the layout of the forum, make it several columns instead of table. I'd also make the replies seperated from the topic. It will more or less like headlines, contents, post your replies, view others opinions etc. the replies will open in a pop up window.

Hope this would be somewhat helpful to you. I guess one can tweak the system the way they want. and this is really a great mod or we can say it's a content management system rather than a mod.

I don't really think it should become too advanced. It's still a part of SNITZ. The purpose is to create areas where you want Editors/Moderators to post messages and more text. In my own implementation (see http://www.konservative-birkeroed.dk - warning: It's in danish) I've done exactly that. We have closed areas no one but the editors (set up using the Allowed User addon) are able to see or write in.

The next thing I will be working on is to add the direct link to the forum (with No. of replies and a Reply to message button). After that I will be doing something with the [img] Forum Code, to be able to format the pictures easier. Right now it's not good enough.

A version that works with CSS files instead of the Forum Colors is also on my task list. I'm not sure that this will help you with columns, but at least it will give you access to manage the layout a lot better.

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2001 :  07:25:12  Show Profile
well, I meant if we ignore the layout part, and work it as a publishing tool, then it's rather a database-publishing tool. Of course it's based on Snitz, but we can use it on any database actually. And what I'm gona to is to make it nothing like the community of snitz forums :-)

well, I also want to let the editor to have choice to insert some text under the headline. maybe a introduction or a substract , or just something to attract people to take a look.

e.g.

topic1
......subtract inserted be editor....
link to the topic
topic 2
the set # of characters from the begining of the message....
link to the topic
link to the whole category (e.g. company news)
topic3

--------
link to topic1 of category 2
link topic2 of cat2

Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2001 :  08:13:14  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
quote:
well, I meant if we ignore the layout part, and work it as a publishing tool, then it's rather a database-publishing tool. Of course it's based on Snitz, but we can use it on any database actually. And what I'm gona to is to make it nothing like the community of snitz forums :-)

Why do you want to make it "nothing like the community of snitz forums"?

I actually think that the fact that it's part of Snitz is one of it's strength. Not only do you only need one database, one user tabel, one admin-interface, one way to enter data. I my organization many of the members and editors does not know computers too much. Even signing up as a Snitz member is a big thing for them. So to have them work with both Snitz and another database publishing/content management interface would not be very good. It would require a lot of training.

Now I just need to train them in using the forum.

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page

KXS

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2001 :  15:59:08  Show Profile  Send KXS an ICQ Message
quote:

Thanks.

:-)

Guys, I think both of your versions would be great to any portal. I am currently still looking for a good news publishing script, I think bjit's idea would be great for publishing news/articles. What would be nice is to setup some sort of review script, that a user could rate/comment on. Just like a review for a palm pilot, a user could read it,and underneath the review, he/she would have the option on rating, and commmenting on the product. This script would be great if it used the snitz user profile/login...

------------------
"keeping it real"

Edited by - KXS on 13 February 2001 09:50:35
Go to Top of Page

klunde
Starting Member

Norway
26 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  07:18:46  Show Profile
Hi!

I've just downloaded this mod and I'm having some problems getting it to work. I have done the changes to post.asp and post_info.asp and I have added the T_ORDER.

When I then try DisplayTest.asp (with my changes to the parameters), I get the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e09'

[TCX][MyODBC]You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 1

/forum/display.asp, line 85

Any ideas

I'm running IIS4 on NT4 with MySql as database and NT authenticaton.

--
Morten

Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  07:21:47  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
I will start looking if I get see anything wrong, but I've never tried it with MYSQL.

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07