Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

DewyattStanfield
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2001 :  08:17:43  Show Profile
quote:

I agree with you about the path problem. Thanks for helping.

However, I'm wondering if anyone has fixed this problem yet...

÷§÷ Kenno ÷§÷

OK, I have not looked at it yet but the issue is with the replace function. When the forum code replaces the string [ : ) ] (done with spaces so you can see what I am talking about) it is repaving it with the name of the files such as icon_smilies_smile.gif or something close, I am not looking at it now. Well if you change that to the path something like www.wyrmbane.com/forum/icon_smilies_smile.gif then no matter where you are trying to insert that file, be it out of the forum directory, or inside it it will be looking for the correct file. Incidentally, this type of thing wouls allow you to create a smilies folder (probably inside the /forum directory) and keep all of your icons in there so that you could keep the /forum directory cleaner.

Another thing you could do is preload the smilies icons on the page that is going to need to use them. This may slow down the page though as you might be preloading a lot of images that you won't be using.

I also seem to remember there is a smilies MOD. I would look at that one to see if this pathing is addressed in that MOD.

If you want me to I will look for the replace functions and get you line numbers and such where you would need to change the code.

Dewyatt

Go to Top of Page

(.)z

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2001 :  08:26:44  Show Profile  Visit (.)z's Homepage  Send (.)z an AOL message  Send (.)z an ICQ Message  Send (.)z a Yahoo! Message
I believe there is a bug in display.asp line 73 (the mysql code). It builds the strSql2 using Request.QueryString("FORUM_ID") rather than using fForumID which is what I suspect it should be. Fixed it for me.

Regards - z - http://www.discuss-online.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

(.)z

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2001 :  11:30:16  Show Profile  Visit (.)z's Homepage  Send (.)z an AOL message  Send (.)z an ICQ Message  Send (.)z a Yahoo! Message
I found I had to change the mod made to post_info.asp from

strSql = strSql & ", T_ORDER = " & Request.Form("Order") ' *** Topic Order Modification ***
to
' *** Topic Order Modification *** BEGIN
if Request.Form("Order") <> "" then
strSql = strSql & ", T_ORDER = " & Cint(Request.Form("Order"))
else
strSql = strSql & ", T_ORDER = 0"
end if
' *** Topic Order Modification *** END

Go to Top of Page

DewyattStanfield
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2001 :  13:18:10  Show Profile
quote:

I found I had to change the mod made to post_info.asp from

strSql = strSql & ", T_ORDER = " & Request.Form("Order") ' *** Topic Order Modification ***
to
' *** Topic Order Modification *** BEGIN
if Request.Form("Order") <> "" then
strSql = strSql & ", T_ORDER = " & Cint(Request.Form("Order"))
else
strSql = strSql & ", T_ORDER = 0"
end if
' *** Topic Order Modification *** END

I am glad you figured those two issues out, perhaps they will help someone else in the future. Sorry I didn't get to it before you did but hey, you worked faster than I did

Dewyatt

Go to Top of Page

(.)z

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2001 :  17:41:11  Show Profile  Visit (.)z's Homepage  Send (.)z an AOL message  Send (.)z an ICQ Message  Send (.)z a Yahoo! Message
quote:
I am glad you figured those two issues out, perhaps they will help someone else in the future. Sorry I didn't get to it before you did but hey, you worked faster than I did

Dewyatt

Your Welcome .

I havent yet figured out how to get display.asp to work when included from a page outside of the forums web application (not having the same application root).

I have changed the include path (tried virtual=/forums/... and file=../forums/...) but keep getting an error saying the web page could not be displayed.

Has anyone got any pointers or examples of this working?

It's a cool mod though

Go to Top of Page

KXS

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  02:56:05  Show Profile  Send KXS an ICQ Message
Boyz, is this mod simular to the News Traxor app? If you don't know what this is, it basically allows many different users to create articles in an admin section, and output to a file. All you have to do then is include this in any page...

------------------
"keeping it real"
Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  07:58:28  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Boyz, is this mod simular to the News Traxor app? If you don't know what this is, it basically allows many different users to create articles in an admin section, and output to a file. All you have to do then is include this in any page...

I guess you're right. You can add articles using the Forum (as you add any topic). Then you put one line and a few includes on the webpage where you want to display these topics.

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page

Kenno
Average Member

Cambodia
846 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  08:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Kenno's Homepage
quote:

I havent yet figured out how to get display.asp to work when included from a page outside of the forums web application (not having the same application root).

I have changed the include path (tried virtual=/forums/... and file=../forums/...) but keep getting an error saying the web page could not be displayed.

Has anyone got any pointers or examples of this working?

I have it working outside the root, but the problem I had is that all the images linking to the thread (ex: smily.gif image) is not showing.

÷§÷ Kenno ÷§÷
Go to Top of Page

DewyattStanfield
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  16:03:30  Show Profile
OK,
Here is how I have this seyup and it works like a charm.

Inside the /forum is where I put the display.asp When including it on a page you need to include your config.asp fine in that page. That is really all there is to it, I had this running in less than 5 minutes when I downloaded it.

Yes the smilies do not work, that is because the path that gets inserted into the database is no path at all. It gets inserted like [code]<"img source=icon_smilies_smile.gif"> and when you include this page outside the forum directory it does not know to use /forum/icon_smilies_smile.gif or whatever the name is. I have just dtopped using smilies in my news forum.

Dewyatt

Go to Top of Page

(.)z

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2001 :  09:19:11  Show Profile  Visit (.)z's Homepage  Send (.)z an AOL message  Send (.)z an ICQ Message  Send (.)z a Yahoo! Message
Here is how I have this mod setup, and it does not work outside of the application root.

Web Site /forums - Configured as an application root in IIS:

Subfolder snitz with all the snitz code in it.

/forums/snitz/display.asp
#include virtual="/forums/snitz/config.asp"
#include virtual="/forums/snitz/inc_functions.asp"
/forums/ramesys/menu.asp
#include virtual="/forums/snitz/display.asp"
<% DisplayTopics 28, 1, 0 %>

This works just fine, now I also have

I have another web site on the same server called /technical and again, this is an application root in IIS.

/technical/welcome.asp

#include virtual="/forums/snitz/display.asp"
<% DisplayTopics 28, 1, 0 %>

This does NOT work! I always get the following error
quote:
HTTP Error 404
404 Not Found

The Web server cannot find the file or script you asked for. Please check the URL to ensure that the path is correct.

Please contact the server's administrator if this problem persists.

I have tried using #include file="../forums/snitz/display.asp" and get the same problem.

I am using IIS4 on WinNT 4.0 SP6

Go to Top of Page

(.)z

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2001 :  09:26:18  Show Profile  Visit (.)z's Homepage  Send (.)z an AOL message  Send (.)z an ICQ Message  Send (.)z a Yahoo! Message
FIX for Icon display problem!

In display.asp, around line 228, replace
<% =formatStr(rs("T_MESSAGE")) %>
with
<% =replace(formatStr(rs("T_MESSAGE")), "src=icon", "src=" & strForumUrl & "icon") %>

This will work as long as the forum url does not contain any spaces. Could be refined to allow for embedded spaces also, but would be more difficult to do. The real problem is that snitz smiley handling does not quote the src= attribute, if it did it would be easy to do.

Perhaps some one cold return the favour and help me sort out the problem described in my earlier (just above) reply.

Edited by - (.)z on 31 January 2001 09:27:05
Go to Top of Page

(.)z

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2001 :  09:48:20  Show Profile  Visit (.)z's Homepage  Send (.)z an AOL message  Send (.)z an ICQ Message  Send (.)z a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Perhaps some one cold return the favour and help me sort out the problem described in my earlier (just above) reply.

FIXED IT! The problem was, that in config.asp my strConnString was defined as

strConnString = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("../database") & "/forums.mdb"

Now this works fine when called within the forums but does not work if called from outside. I changed the above to

strConnString = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("/forums/database") & "/forums.mdb"

and it works wonderfully now. This is a similar problem to the one kenno had and is one that is relevent to including config.asp from outside the forums, and not specifically a problem with display.asp, indeed the fix is in config.asp.

Suggest for access, the best connect string to use is one that is built using Server.MapPath() but passing the full virtual path to the database (assuming the database is residing within a virtual path, which it might not be of course).

Go to Top of Page

DewyattStanfield
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2001 :  10:01:26  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

FIXED IT! The problem was, that in config.asp my strConnString was defined as

strConnString = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("../database") & "/forums.mdb"

Now this works fine when called within the forums but does not work if called from outside. I changed the above to

strConnString = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("/forums/database") & "/forums.mdb"

and it works wonderfully now. This is a similar problem to the one kenno had and is one that is relevent to including config.asp from outside the forums, and not specifically a problem with display.asp, indeed the fix is in config.asp.

Suggest for access, the best connect string to use is one that is built using Server.MapPath() but passing the full virtual path to the database (assuming the database is residing within a virtual path, which it might not be of course).

GREAT! I had been trying to duplicate the problem you were having with no success. Guess I didn't quite have my server setup the same way as you. I also use the physical path for my connstring so no matter what I did I wuoldn't have had this issue. Glad you found it and thanks a bunch for the smileys fix.

D

Go to Top of Page

ajy

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2001 :  12:08:27  Show Profile  Visit ajy's Homepage  Send ajy an ICQ Message
Is there a final or recent version of a content managment system that would will pull topics and/or thread out to post on a web site?

ajy
http://www.ajy.net/
Go to Top of Page

DewyattStanfield
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2001 :  13:16:33  Show Profile
quote:

Is there a final or recent version of a content managment system that would will pull topics and/or thread out to post on a web site?

ajy
http://www.ajy.net/

Here is my version, this does not however include the fixes that (.)z has incorporated for SQL, it does however have his fix for the smileys. I didn't need to do them as I am using Access.

Download .zip

Dewyatt

Edited by - dewyattstanfield on 31 January 2001 13:18:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07