Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  16:17:42  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
What's really sad besides I paid 300.00+ for my 9600 Modem is that I paid 800.00 for my 250meg Hard drive and I have 4 times that much in ram now... LOL

Test Site:
EastPasco Huw's Code 3.3.10 SQL 2000
Huwr's Modified Code
Email
Go to Top of Page

shawdzee

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  16:42:54  Show Profile
Well, I could ONLY get a 5MB (five) hard disk on my first PC (IBM compatible Franklin)

8086 (with math co-processor)
5MB Hard Disk
2 - 5 1/4 floppies
64K (K not MB) RAM
VGA Mono

(the hard disk cost close to $800)

be well, shawdzee
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  19:53:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shawdzee

punch cards and Fortran, 1979!
and apple 6502 (i think) assembly language

You know what? I controlled a huge pressure machine in real time with Apple II. I wrote an assembly language program on it to push/pull the cylinders through D/A converters and having position feedback through A/D... It was for the master thesis of my friend. I was in Masters and was a research assistant at that time.

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  19:53:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FrutZle

OMG! No offense, but how old are you guys?

Why offence? I'm 39... My decision on computer engineering in 1983 is because I saw a nice Casio calculator printing a complicated function (what a mistake )...

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  19:59:38  Show Profile
My first machine was a Commodore 64. My mother bought it to me when I succeded the CmpE Dept in the university entrance exam (yeah, we have something like that - what equal opportunity). My next machine was an Olivetti 8086, 640kb, 10MB - but this is when I started Masters, to do my thesis. It was the same machine I had in the lab.

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

593 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  21:26:30  Show Profile
Well, you all young and bright minds out there...seems like Uncle Leo is the oldest of this gang...

My encounter with email in early 70s - then - running on APARNET - as a grad student blew my mind and totally changed a course of my life (in hindsight)..., yeah, old late 60's and early 70's stuff:

1969: The first LOGs: UCLA -- Stanford

According toVinton Cerf:
...the UCLA people proposed to DARPA to organize and run a Network Measurement Center for the ARPANET project...

Around Labor Day in 1969, BBN delivered an Interface Message Processor (IMP) to UCLA that was based on a Honeywell DDP 516, and when they turned it on, it just started running. It was hooked by 50 Kbps circuits to two other sites (SRI and UCSB) in the four-node network: UCLA, Stanford Research Institute (SRI), UC Santa Barbara (UCSB), and the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.

The plan was unprecedented: Kleinrock, a pioneering computer science professor at UCLA, and his small group of graduate students hoped to log onto the Stanford computer and try to send it some data.They would start by typing "login," and seeing if the letters appeared on the far-off monitor.

"We set up a telephone connection between us and the guys at SRI...," Kleinrock ... said in an interview: "We typed the L and we asked on the phone,

"Do you see the L?"
"Yes, we see the L," came the response.
"We typed the O, and we asked, "Do you see the O."
"Yes, we see the O."
"Then we typed the G, and the system crashed"...

Yet a revolution had begun"...

Source: Sacramento Bee, May 1, 1996, p.D1

Talking of old timer thing...I saw the movie "Beautiful Mind" and going through dejavu thing. Gosh, Game Theory/Prisoner's Dilemma - was a core thoeory along with system dynamics that I used to analyze and model international resource conflicts.... glorious early 70's disciplines...

Gee I really feel old now. Good thing to be associating with young bright minds here... keeps me "think" young.

So, how about "Forum" and "Board"?

Taku
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  21:50:29  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
34 here... started on Commodore 64 and then on to Apple. I program a lot but mostly application development. I am also pretty much a network guy lately but I feel I can program with the best of them at times, just not so much on the web although I feel I am getting pretty d*a*m*n good at it.

keeping in mind that I had a 11 year career as an Avionics Technician for the F/A-18 and F-14 fighter jets in the US Navy. I've had the luxury of 2 great careers so far, being that I am now a Systems Integrator.

Edited by - dayve on 22 August 2002 21:52:00
Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  22:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
26 here... my first computer was an Apple II and I also has a "trash"-80.

--Aaron

DOWNLOAD GREAT NEW MODS HERE
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

593 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  23:36:59  Show Profile
Folks, What's this? Aging Beauty contest? Am 50+something.... and <20+ something inside..<ha ha, me think>.. Haven't looked at codes for over 10 years and getting back to it with ASP...well, there is something sparkling here.. Last programming or something of that nature I did was when I was working with a startup for parallel processing unix OS out of Carnegie Mellon, called Mach... lots of DARPA stuff but my memory bank was totally wiped out anyway...no clue now.

F/14 & F/18 pilots?? we have TOP GUNS here? ....my good friend, now residing in Florida, was Airforce One pilot.... some funny stories about some of your former Commander in Chief...and some pretty funny story about Al Gore ... (Probably I shouldn't mentioning the name... but wasn't he the once created thing called Internet, if I remember correctly about some of Washington DC political chronicales???)...

Anyone familiar with HABBOT out of UK? Isn't that a new 3D Avatar like forum/community??? Just found out my friend's company got a deal with it to market in Japan...

Cheers...So, what about "Forum" and "Board" and "BBS"? Snitz becoming like a Chat room with Quick Reply...

Taku
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2002 :  00:36:57  Show Profile
I think this topic could be moved over to Community Discussions.

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07