Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  14:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
The FAQ uses the term "Bulletin Board" a number of times.

While a Bulletin Board is another name for Forum... maybe we should be consistent in the wording throughout the product.

--Aaron

DOWNLOAD GREAT NEW MODS HERE

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  14:49:13  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
I only saw 2 references to bulletin board and believe it was used in the correct context because it was referencing and comparing to "other bulletin boards"

You've probably seen others use smilies before in e-mail messages or other bulletin board posts. Smilies are keyboard characters used to convey an emotion, such as a smile or a frown . This bulletin board automatically converts...

I think it is fine the way it is.

Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  15:26:37  Show Profile
Probably more accurate is that Forum is another name for Bulletin Board. Wasn't it Wildcat BBS owning the market in the pre-net days?

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  15:28:40  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
BBS'es did rule the land for quite a long time.

--Aaron

DOWNLOAD GREAT NEW MODS HERE
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  16:55:09  Show Profile
Well, actually there is some problem with the terminology. "Forum" is the whole thing and it is also the entity below categories.

I faced that during translations. There are also references in the forum code to the word "board", and I think such a distinction is needed. But I could never find a translation for "board" in Turkish except using plural for "forum".

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  21:58:44  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Ah BBS's those were the days, with my 4800 modem
I don't really think you can descripe todays 'Forums' as Bulletin Boards any more, they are much more of an online discussion then BBS's were, I think 'Forums' is more correct, but as bozden says that makes for confusion for some people.
Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  22:36:05  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

You were just flying compared to when I started with my Commodore 64 running 300 baud. I thought I was doing pretty good when I changed that out for 2400 baud.
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  00:44:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

I don't really think you can descripe todays 'Forums' as Bulletin Boards any more, they are much more of an online discussion then BBS's were, I think 'Forums' is more correct, but as bozden says that makes for confusion for some people.

You had one of them fancy newfangled fast modems

How I long for the days of the AJ acoustic coupler at 110 baud.

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  05:49:42  Show Profile
quote:

Really ? Did you also used punch-card machines and 8 inch floppies? Did you see an analog computer?

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  23:21:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bozden

quote:

Really ? Did you also used punch-card machines and 8 inch floppies? Did you see an analog computer?

Yes, and yes. I got to see I think the grandaddy of analog computers in the fire control room of the USS Missouri once.

We had numerous analog computers on the guided missle frigate I was on, with digital-analog and analog-digital converters all over the place. We loaded our digital computers sometimes from punched paper tape. In those days disk drives would not operate at sea, they needed a solid and level platform, so we loaded the code and the entire program ran memory-resident until we returned to port a month or so later.

You can see a picture of one of the scopes we used on our ship. If you look carefully below and right of the tube, you will see the recess with the trackball and buttons, with which we played a multiplayer space war game when in port (equipment testing ). Long before there was a PARC, much less an Apple, we were using pointing devices, icons, etc. on screen. The graphics were vector-generated, not bitmapped, and pretty crude by today's standards, but point & click has been in use for at least 35 years that I know of.

http://www.sterett.org/cic.htm

======
Doug G
======

Edited by - Doug G on 21 August 2002 23:21:36
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  00:06:10  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
I am happy to say that I learned RPG and COBOL on punch cards in 1983

Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  09:53:57  Show Profile
Doug, that is a interesting site. It actually is nice web-museum. But do you know what? Humans are missing there... How they lived there, who they are, how they felt during cold war days...

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

593 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  15:13:41  Show Profile
I found your chats here are fascionating...besides the main topic of whether Snitz being FORUM or BBS....

Though I was never been in the development/engineering side of the business, you guys brought me some old memories when I was a grad student, punching cards, working with THE INTERACTIVE ENVIRONMENT with IBM typewriter with PL/1 and the first ever interactive enviornment with APL (yeah, the first ever onscreen interactive envirionment), learning system dynamics etc....and also early days of my professional careers when I worked in CAD/CAM/CAE industry, using Fortran with Tektronics storagetube..(trememdous resolution 1024x1024, ray-tracing I think what they called then I think but my godness you had to reflesh the screen everytime for any changes made).....before the day of raster technology (resolution was terrible... and couldn't use it for desining work...) comes into "computer" world.... gee, making me feel old...

Was it a stone age of computing or was it a bronze age?

Anyway, as Bozden mentioned, there is a bit of usage problem of "Board" and "Forum", and I encountered the same problem as Bozden mentioned in doing language pack translation...and also bit confusing for some users when you have "Forum" used at the top level for all, then "Category", and then "Forum" again, then, "Topics" ..

But again, it's good stuff...even for a newbie like me.

Aloha,

Taku
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  15:24:56  Show Profile
quote:

Yes, and yes. I got to see I think the grandaddy of analog computers in the fire control room of the USS Missouri once.
[/quote]

OMG! No offense, but how old are you guys?
When I was 9 or 10 we first got computers in our school. We thought the world of them (racing games where all you had to do was move over to the left or right so you wouldn't hit something) except when the answering machine-sized tapes got stuck and the game would be gone
Who cared about anything so "futuristic" as internet when there were plenty tapes left?
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  15:33:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FrutZle

quote:

OMG! No offense, but how old are you guys?
When I was 9 or 10 we first got computers in our school. We thought the world of them (racing games where all you had to do was move over to the left or right so you wouldn't hit something) except when the answering machine-sized tapes got stuck and the game would be gone
Who cared about anything so "futuristic" as internet when there were plenty tapes left?
[/quote]
Much older than you, grasshopper

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

shawdzee

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  16:00:56  Show Profile
punch cards and Fortran, 1979!
and apple 6502 (i think) assembly language

be well, shawdzee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07