Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 DEV-Group
 DEV Discussions (General)
 3.4 version is good with a few exceptions !
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yellow Aftershock

55 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  15:45:07  Show Profile
I dont like the fact the members can delete their own posts (without replies).
Certain saddo's create posts and delete them straight away to bump up their post count !
This should be a feature to switch on and off !

The feature within each forum to not increase the posts count is excellent- but this should have been extended to not increase the forums post count and not just for the individual member !

Also I would like to have seen some of the mods pre installed, such as the PM feature and Actice Mods feature !

Appart from that its an excellent upgrade !
Just thought I would let you know the above !

Edited by - ruirib on 21 August 2002 18:12:25

Rasco
Advanced Member

Germany
3192 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  16:02:31  Show Profile  Send Rasco an ICQ Message
So, a user doesn`t create one post after another, there is the flood control feature integrated, which gives a time block of 60 seconds before you`re able to do a new post.

German Snitz Forum
Go to Top of Page

Yellow Aftershock

55 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  16:08:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rasco

So, a user doesn`t create one post after another, there is the flood control feature integrated, which gives a time block of 60 seconds before you`re able to do a new post.

Yeah I know- and I am so gratefull of that feature !
But I was talking about people creating posts, saying nothing and deleting them ! - they do this many times over- the message are not there because they have been deleted by that user but their post count never goes down- it bumps it up !
Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  16:17:19  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
Post a warning that you will set a member's post count to -500 if they try to up their post count through such behavior. That should stop their race to up their post counts.

Jan
===========
FR Portal Forums | Active Users 4.0.20 Mod
Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  17:09:22  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
I always thought it would be useful to have a DELETED table (similar to archive) that stores all deleted topics.

The Admin can then look at them and clear the table (if needed).

This would allow the Admin to see if his users are doing what you mention, and allows him to audit the Moderators.

--Aaron

DOWNLOAD GREAT NEW MODS HERE
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  17:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
That is WAY harder than you think it is Aaron, I started writing a mod for it and gave up in frustration after about 3 weeks.

You would basically have to rewrite the moderation engine, which is nearly imposible because the snitz code is 110% spagehtti.

Would take a rewrite.

Nathan Bales
CoreBoard | Active Users Download
Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  17:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
I remove the delete button as a first line of defense on my site.

Nathan,

Why would you need to rewrite the moderation code? Moderators can still delete, but instead of running the DELETE, it would copy the contents of that topic over to a DELETE Table (same theory as archive - probably could use the same code).

--Aaron

Go to Top of Page

sy
Average Member

United Kingdom
638 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  17:47:49  Show Profile  Visit sy's Homepage  Send sy a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S.

I remove the delete button as a first line of defense on my site.

Nathan,

Why would you need to rewrite the moderation code? Moderators can still delete, but instead of running the DELETE, it would copy the contents of that topic over to a DELETE Table (same theory as archive - probably could use the same code).

--Aaron

If that is the case, surely you would also need to remove the 'edit post' function as well?

Yellow Aftershock why not make this point in your policy.asp and delete/ban members who practice this procedure?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails

Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  18:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
I do remove the edit button also.

--Aaron

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  19:16:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Aftershock

quote:
Originally posted by Rasco

Yeah I know- and I am so gratefull of that feature !
But I was talking about people creating posts, saying nothing and deleting them ! - they do this many times over- the message are not there because they have been deleted by that user but their post count never goes down- it bumps it up !

Replies have always been able to be deleted, adding the ability to delete topics is not going to affect that very much.
Go to Top of Page

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  20:04:10  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
I thought deleting posts reduced the post count by one. That shouldn't be to diffulcult to implement.

find member
lower count -1
done.
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  20:15:23  Show Profile
Just because you delete someone's post does not mean that they did not make that post. Deleting posts has never reduced the Member's post count, as well it shouldn't.
Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  06:11:59  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
Perhaps combining snaayk's idea with an option on the Admin screen would be a good compromise, then it's up to the forum owner to decide whether post count is decremented when posts are deleted?
If bDecrementDeletedPostCount Then
postcount = postcount -1
End If
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  08:19:11  Show Profile
I was planning on writing a mini-mod once 3.4.01 was released that would add a new field to the Members table to keep track of the number of deleted posts a user had. There would then be an admin option where you could specify whether topic.asp & pop_profile.asp would display total posts made, total posts made excluding deletions or total posts made with number of deleted posts below. This mod would also hopefully offer a workaround for the percentage of posts problem that was reported the other day.

c ya in the funny books
MeTV - tvthemetunes.net - forums
house of design - graphic design consultants

“It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.”

Edited by - Shaggy on 22 August 2002 08:20:16
Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2002 :  14:31:50  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
That sounds an excellent idea, so you can adjust the amount of posts made by deleted ones, but if you change your mind later on, put the sum of the deleted ones back into the stats.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07