Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  12:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Something I noticed about printer friendly mode. It inherets the forums color sceme. This becomes a problem for light on dark forums, because white print on a black background isn't very printer friendly. Even this blue font on a whitebackground can be trying on color ink cartrages.

Perhaps pop_printer_friendly.asp should be hardcoded to black text on a white background.

Nathan Bales
CoreBoard | Active Users Download

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  14:45:22  Show Profile
we probably should, or else it's not very "Printer-Friendly". We could probably just hardcode the default colors used here into the files.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  17:09:36  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Black text would print faster than this blue.

Nathan Bales
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  17:51:56  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
That's a good point, Nathan.

Simply create a "theme file" that sets the variables to the desired colors just for pop_printerfriendly.asp?

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  23:16:48  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
quote:
Simply create a "theme file" that sets the variables to the desired colors just for pop_printerfriendly.asp?

Anything thats color isn't friendly to my printer. I have to copy it into word and make it black and white. Thats not very friendly either.

Nathan Bales
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2002 :  23:23:05  Show Profile
I agree that black on white would probably be better, but what about smilies or other graphics someone might place in their message?
Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  02:53:46  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
go ahead and display the images since they are part of the post. or maybe a drop down meny on the page to choose to display the images or not.

Brad
Oklahoma City Online Entertainment Guide
Oklahoma Event Tickets
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2002 :  03:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
I would say go ahead and show images. Images don't hurt my eyes or blue cartrage as much as blue text does. (The color contrast for this blue works on screen. . . but try a printout. . .)

But. . .

I just thought, what about forum code? Some of these dark colord background forums may have font thats inside [white] or [yellow] tags. That wouldn't do well on white. . .

Nathan Bales
Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  12:41:42  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
How about just hardcoding the background color to white then replacing out any white fonts with black? Personally, I like a little color in my prints. Afterall, most modern printers have the option to print in shades of gray if someone doesn't want the color.
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  12:46:23  Show Profile
Maybe I'm being stupid here.... Okay, I know how people think of me so let's just say I am being stupid here, but why don't you just set your printer to only print greyscale, and your browser not to print background colors and background images? I've never had it print an all black page with some white text after setting IE to not print background colors....
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  12:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
I printed a page from here *dark blue* the dark blue is hard to read on paper, so I switched to greyscale. It didn't print in black either, it printed in dark gray. I couldn't read it so I had to copy the thing into word to get a good printout.

Thats what prompted this topic.

Nathan Bales
Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  13:10:02  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
I guess what we need to do is further define 'Printer Friendly'. My assumption would be to minimize ink on paper and yet retain readability. Therefore, that would mean replacing any background images and colors, including those in tables, with a white background. And to retain readibility, any light colored text would have to be replaced with a darker color. i.e. whites or yellows. One option would be to just replace out all text colors with black so any text printed in black and white. Another option would be to only replace out light colors which would mean defining all 'light colors'.

Edited by - alex042 on 21 August 2002 13:11:00
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  13:20:51  Show Profile
in short, to make it sound simple for simple people like myself: all color tags should be removed. Either with CSS or in the body tag a default text color and page background color should be set (hard coded), and you'd be done.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  13:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Its easy to get rid of the font colors

<style>font{color:black;}</style>

Nathan Bales
Go to Top of Page

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  13:31:13  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
I definetly see the value in printing in black and white, but color is also valuable. I print most of my stuff to a laser printer, which is in greyscale.

I had a printer friendly version of a topic with some code tips and examples. I printed it a month ago, yesterday as I am going to implement some of the ideas, the post read: Change the code in red to.....oops, which is the code in red?

As you can see, this was not a good thing. Who knows how many implementations of a forum is being used that might require printer friendly color print outs.

I hate asking for more after
so much, but perhaps a choice on how you want it......

I guess it always a PITA to please all sides of an argument.
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  13:50:12  Show Profile
I'm using a color laser printer (it's actually a color copy machine with a RIP, but who cares) so I print everything with backgrounds.

Snaayk's example shows that it often is important to be able to print in color, and the only way around it as I see it now is to make two printer friendly options: color and black & white. This could be done by adding a select case statement to pop_printer_friendly.asp, depending on the mode, it'd either include or leave out the style sheet to make the page black and white.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07