MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 different colors for each message board
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vweyes

74 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2002 :  17:36:51  Show Profile
Ok, I wanted to make different color schemes for each board on my forum, but I couldn't find a mod or anything when I searched. I know this is possible, because the MCA Records Message Board (which is now shut down) did this with their boards.

I was messing around a little bit and I figured you could split the database into smaller parts, so you would have one main database that would hold information about members, posts, ect. and you would have seperate sub-databases that would hold the color schemes for the individual boards.

I did this by making a second strConnString and adding this to the config.asp:

if (FORUM_ID = 1) then
my_Conn.Open strConnString2

elseif (FORUM_ID = 2) then
my_Conn.Open strConnString
else
my_Conn.Open strConnString2
end if

It only half worked. When I would update only one part of the color scheme in the admin_home, it completely changed over to the sheme. It didn't, however, change when I went into a different board.

Does anyone know any way I can do this sucsessfully? I am really new it asp and I learn all this from just going through the snitz files, so there is probably a lot I am missing.

VodkaFish
Average Member

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 26 July 2002 :  22:35:03  Show Profile  Send VodkaFish an AOL message  Send VodkaFish an ICQ Message  Send VodkaFish a Yahoo! Message
Hopefully I can help you, I do this (but in a slightly different way - I share certain forums and use different colors, etc. on each site).

You just need two config tables.

Are your sites on different .coms?
If not, do they have different asp files?
If not, can you explain how you have two different ones?

v ø d k â f ï § h
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 26 July 2002 :  23:52:16  Show Profile
What you could do is make some changes to the SQL statement that pulls the colors from the database. You'd need one config_new table for each set of colors. For example config_new, config_new2, config_new3 and config_new4. Then in the SQL statement you have something like this: FROM " & ACTIVEPREFIX & "CONFIG_NEW"

Then you first define a variable, for example strColorConfig. This would then equal CONFIG_NEWi where i equals the category ID. I'd make it look like this:
strColorConfig = ("CONFIG_NEW" & CAT_ID & "")

Then replace CONFIG_NEW in the SQL statement with " & strColorConfig & " and it'll pull the colors from the correct table.

At least, that's my theory, but I'm not sure if it'd work the way I think it will...

Roland

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Snitz Icons | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

VodkaFish
Average Member

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2002 :  02:34:02  Show Profile  Send VodkaFish an AOL message  Send VodkaFish an ICQ Message  Send VodkaFish a Yahoo! Message
quote:
At least, that's my theory, but I'm not sure if it'd work the way I think it will...
Yes, it will, that's almost exactly how I do it. I was gone "step-it-out" here, but you went and jumped the gun Hehe. vweyes, if you need more help, let us know

v ø d k â f ï § h
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07