Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 DEV-Group
 DEV Discussions (General)
 After upgrading 4.0b03 with security fixes...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 21 July 2002 :  19:28:55  Show Profile
I no longer have access to setup. I write the correct username and pword to get access but get this message (in Danish) Database coouldn't be opened. Error code : 80004005. That's a little bit too much security to me, normally security IMO is more of a nuisance to the owner of a machine than to those few who might be interested in my humble acitivties on the net.

Hope I'm in the right forum, if not excuse me beforehand.

Greetings from Denmark

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 21 July 2002 :  19:49:13  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Must have been some error you made when editing the files. You may try to download the AllPatches zip file from http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25195 extract the files inside and use them over your own.

Of course, this will force you to add mod changes to the files, if you have any mods installed. What I can tell you is that I have 4.0 with the fixes applied and have no problems whatsoever.

If you have mods, maybe you can revise your changes inserted for the security fixes, and make sure you forgot nothing and didn't erase anything you shouldn't have.

-------------------------------------------------
Installation Guide | Do's and Dont's | MODs
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 21 July 2002 :  20:36:20  Show Profile
Some Q:

What was your previous forum version before upgrade?
What is your database type? MS SQL?
How did you upgrade? Are you sure that you have correct info in config.asp?
Can you pass a link to your forum?

There is no change in setup.asp from v4b03 to v4b03.004 . You can alternatively try to rename setup.asp to setup_new.asp, rename setup_orig.asp to setup.asp (I did put the original one into the package just in case).

Think Pink
==> Start Internationalization Here
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  06:17:10  Show Profile
bozden>> Sorry, I'am a newbie in this forum:

I already had 4.0b03, but was recommended at this site to install the fixes to this version.

I use Access 2000. I'm able to reach every file in the forum, but shouldn't I be allowed to access my DB or am I just studpid/ignorant on this matter?

I had made lots of moderations in the existing 4.0b3, but just graphical, so I compared the original 4.b03 page with the fix (coming from the zip package with all the fixes) and copyed the difs into "my" pages. I use Ultra Edit to do that.

I just wondered about one page: post.asp. The original and the fix didn't fit exactly according to my Ultra Edit and my eyes), so I choose simply to insert the first 300 lines from the fix and the rest were all my mods on graphics.

Greetings from Denmark
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  06:39:50  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
I would risk to say that something you did is responsible for this. Just to make sure about what's happening, tell me:

Are you able to access your forum? Are you able to run setup.asp, if you try it?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  09:58:28  Show Profile
Well, as I mention above: the forum is up and running, though I haven't had the opportunity to test all features after the upgrade. I can run setup.asp. Then comes the new feature, where I must give my password as an administrator, then comes the message, that the DB couldn't be opened. And at last comes the before-mentioned error code.

Greetings from Denmark
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  10:08:56  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Then comes the new feature, where I must give my password as an administrator, then comes the message, that the DB couldn't be opened. And at last comes the before-mentioned error code.

What new feature are you talking about?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  11:35:26  Show Profile
The new feature: that I have to give my name (admin) and my password to access upgrade or just enter the setup - internationalized version.

Greetings from Denmark
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  11:42:02  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Please let me know the value of strDBtype in config.asp. It's located a bit above strConnString and it should be uncommented and looking like this:

strDBType = "access"

Make sure that's the way it is.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  15:33:15  Show Profile
ruirib>>Thank you, thank you! That did the trick.
strDBType was commented out. My faculties might fade (Alzheimer light I suspect) because I don't even remember having uncommented this line before during the years with Snitz.

I wonder why the forum worked in the first place? Probably because it was already set up.

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  15:40:19  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
quote:

ruirib>>Thank you, thank you! That did the trick.

You're welcome .

quote:

strDBType was commented out. My faculties might fade (Alzheimer light I suspect) because I don't even remember having uncommented this line before during the years with Snitz.

I wonder why the forum worked in the first place? Probably because it was already set up.

I've never looked at it that attentively, but I think this value is used during installation and upgrade. The tests made in most files try to check if the value is set to "mysql", cause the SQL is the same for SQL Server and Access. As you never tried upgrading or setting up the forum, you never noticed it. And all the rest went fine, cause you're using the right value for strConnString.

Anyway, what matters is that the forum is working. I'm glad I could be of help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07