Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2002 :  14:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Question: #1

Is it possible to have a person who acts as a MOD manager. The person could help monitor and standardize what content should be placed in the readme.txt file of a MOD. Well, at least the MODs which are collected and stored at an official Snitz MOD site (which is question #2).

The MOD manager would set up a criteria for the format and detail of the help files to be included in the MOD.

Question: #2

I understand that Snitz doesn't have the resources to verify each MODs compatibility on all the various versions (including modded versions) of Snitz. I am thinking of somewhere like the Snitz exchange. Could someone be in charge of setting up a criteria for the readme.txt files who would review the readme.txt (in essence, the help file) before it was allowed to be admitted into the Exchange.

I also understand that some MODs out there are have creators who are no longer around, so a history on the MOD is scarcely present, if at all. Some of those MODs without strong history, while having less information available, are still great MODs. There's not a need to exclude them based on lack of detail.

So, perhaps there could be a disclaimer on the description of each MOD which is allowed into the Exchange such as (Help rank is " "), or (Help included), or (No help included). Just something to help coordinate the effort. I have glanced at the names of some MODs, and moved on. Then, when I heard someone mention how great they were, I had to go back to the Exchange (or elsewhere) to find it. If the MOD had a link in its description which pointed to a larger decription with more details (perhaps even a commentary with rankings), that would help so much.

My other topic "A Picture = 1,000 words :o)" at http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28277 goes into a little bit of detail on a request to include .htm help files in MOD documentation. I also wrote another request a few weeks back called "Credits MOD" http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27575. Although this MOD was dealing with my own individual site, I think the mechanics are possible to be used for this project.

I think the Snitz exchange is great, just would like to see more help files added.

If you would like for me to help you on this or even get it started, it would be fun! I could make a mock-up website example for you. Just let me know. Oh, by the way, I'm not implying that I should be the MOD manager. Since the Exchange is on Nathan's site, who takes on that role (if it is considered) is up to him. I just want to help out.

Yours,

Etymon

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2002 :  14:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Putting any sort of restraint on mod makers will only decrease the number and quality of mods released.

Nathan Bales
Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2002 :  17:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Something like this is what I had in mind:

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/downloads/index.php?t=sub_pages&cat=2

Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2002 :  19:22:29  Show Profile
So what you'd like to see changed on Snitz Exchange is this:
- MOD name
- Compatibility
- Description
- Download link

instead of this:
- MOD name linking to a page with more info

Perhaps the MOD names should be more descriptive, but most names are already stating what the MODs do. Also, the information entered on the info page is done by the person that uploads the file so it's only his/her responsibility.

I think that by adding requirements to the content of the readme file, or the format (HTML, TXT or whatever) you're only making it more difficult for the MOD developers. They already have to think about writing MODs that don't create bugs. Writing a readme.txt can take up a lot of time by itself. Saying that the readme file has to look a certain way adds another negative side to writing that file.

just my 2 cents.

http://www.frutzle.com

Go to Top of Page

jay_v

85 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2002 :  20:55:45  Show Profile
Hey I kinda like Etymon's idea, with the more descriptive readme files. Not to say that we're imposing requirements, more of a suggestion.

btw that phpbb looks really nice. maybe a few people can get together on giving the default snitz look a facelift, what do you think?

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2002 :  23:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Adding requirements to the readme file would put mod devs like me out of business. 60% of the time I invest in most mods is already documentation.

Nathan Bales
Go to Top of Page

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2002 :  12:15:30  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
A lot of times a MOD is written for one's personal use, and the author will decide to share it with everybody. If you require the readme to be a certain way then the author may just keep the MOD to them themselves and not share it.

TonyB
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2002 :  00:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

For Nathan's Snitz Exchange, that's his call. He's made his decision clear ... he's not interested.

Edited by - Etymon on 20 May 2002 00:51:35
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2002 :  00:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
quote:

... with the more descriptive readme files. Not to say that we're imposing requirements, more of a suggestion.

Thanks for interpretting this as politely it was proposed.

quote:

btw that phpbb looks really nice. maybe a few people can get together on giving the default snitz look a facelift, what do you think?

I think the phpbb community's site looks awesome as well! Looks like a professional company ... not a free-for-all.

Hats off!

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2002 :  01:05:29  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
My opinion expressed in this topic is from the point of view of a mod maker, not as the web-master behind the snitz exchange.

As far as the Snitz exchange goes, this all sounds great. I just don't think we can expect it out of people who are writing the mods.

Nathan Bales
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2002 :  01:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

quote:

A lot of times a MOD is written for one's personal use, and the author will decide to share it with everybody.

True, and I am thankful for the helpful MODs!

quote:

If you require the readme to be a certain way then the author may just keep the MOD to them themselves and not share it.

Try not to think of it as "requirement". I think of it more like "moderation".

Just because these forums are moderated, does it deter people from sharing of their experience? Not that I know of.

I can think of a few times I posted a repeating message in several forums at the same time when I first came. I was knocked on the head publicly for posting reduntantly, and I got the message that the practice is not acceptable here at Snitz.

It was a no-brainer. I did, got the message not to do it, and stopped doing it.

I have posted messages in the wrong place, and the messages were moved to another place without my consent. Did it matter? No. The topic was in the wrong place, and was wrong for that audience. Another no-brainer, so now I think twice before posting. And, I think harder whether or not the message will be acceptable in that area.

What has helped me become this way? Moderators.

So the forums are moderated, but the MODs aren't. Hmmm. Go figure?

*Throws hands up in the air and walks off!*

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2002 :  01:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

quote:

My opinion expressed in this topic is from the point of view of a mod maker, not as the web-master behind the snitz exchange.

Who's idea was it to create the Snitz Exchange? I should be directing my ideas to that person instead then.

quote:

As far as the Snitz exchange goes, this all sounds great.

Thanks! It would help maintain user interest in the forums.

quote:

I just don't think we can expect it out of people who are writing the mods.

I am not a MOD creator at this moment, but I can help with documentation. If able, community members should help in areas where others are not able. It makes things easier for the other person.

Go to Top of Page

mortioli
Average Member

United Kingdom
898 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2002 :  05:49:32  Show Profile  Visit mortioli's Homepage  Send mortioli an AOL message  Send mortioli a Yahoo! Message
I actually enjoyed making my readme file in htm, and I was pleased with the outcome (and from others feedback, so were they).

Now that I've made my first htm readme file, I can use it as a template for any other MODs I make...and Crash has borrowed my code, and has done the same. I'm pleased that others can use it aswell...but if people do, it would be nice to have a thank you in the file (just like Crash has done)

Oli

MortiOli Site | MortiOli Forum
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2002 :  06:26:41  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
sorry to be a stick in the mud, but this has all been tried before, hence why I wrote the file library Mod, and the reason for the Snitz exchange, but unfortunately neither have really worked that succesfully, it is unlikely that either of them have the most up to date files, as this relies on the mod authors to update them, something that very rarely happens.

Also having a file library where people can download mods is a HUGE bandwidth killer, if Snitz had to pay for the bandwidth required to download the Snitz version on sourceforge, it would cost us thousands of pounds a month to keep the site running.

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2002 :  12:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Mortioli,

Thanks again for your readme html file! It's very nice!

http://www.mortioli.dingojunction.com/snitz/mods/mgm/mortioligendermod.htm

----------------------

HuwR,

I have the file library MOD downloaded but not installed. Does it do what the Snitz exchange does? If not, do you have a screen shot of what it can do? (when you get the time, of course)

----------------------

I have several MODs that I have no idea what they look like in production, so I have to make a copy of my latest "basic" Snitz forum, play with the code, and then see what I get. Though this is interesting at times, it is like playing a song without ever hearing it. The song may be prettier than I could even imagine, and I may be beating it to death with my attempts.

quote:

...... but this has all been tried before, hence why I wrote the file library Mod

Can the MOD be edited to include more fields? I'd like to try to use it, but what I would like to do is have the MOD link to a .zip download on the creator's site. That way (hopefully) bandwidth might be less, the MOD might be the most recent, and the creator might have more visitors to the website.

Thanks HuwR,

Etymon

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2002 :  12:23:44  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
you can see it working here http://www.magicmushroom.org.uk

the next version will include the facility for offsite links as well as uploaded file links

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07