MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 WAP Exstension
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vesse

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 14 April 2002 :  09:07:05  Show Profile  Visit vesse's Homepage  Send vesse an AOL message  Send vesse an ICQ Message
This is pretty advanced and I won't get round to doing this for quite a while (possibly this summer) but I thought I'd ask people bout this.

I'm thinking of building a WAP exstension of the Snitz Forums software which would allow users to catch up with the forums from mobile devices.

Obviously I will have to seriously cut down the amount of information per page because of the tiny size of screens, this is the WAP structure I'm thinking of at the moment (Each represents a page/function of the WAP version):

Categorys > Forums > Topics > Topic > Replies

Also possibly:

WAP Login > WAP posting of topics & replies

And for Admin/Moderation:

WAP Locking & Deleting of Topics

There would also be an addition to the main version Admin Options that would allow you to configure which options you'd like to enable for WAP users.

If anyone has any ideas on what else could go in this or preferably any tips on implementing this than I'd be glad of your input!!

Building Web Systems for a new Generation @ http://www.vdesign-studios.com
webmaster@vdesign-studios.com
rvesse@hotmail.com
rvesse@dhtmlshock.com

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 14 April 2002 :  10:51:44  Show Profile
W@P died before it even started breathing. It never got foot on the ground because of it's agonizingly low speeds and annoyingly small (non-color) screens. iMode is what's coming up and will be a step forward towards mobile internet. Now I haven't read much about it regarding the techniques and the way websites should be built, but my personal opinion is that that too won't be worth the hassle of building a site for.

Until GPRS really takes off, if it ever does, mobile internet will stay mostly subscription based, and it'll be mostly used to get financial, weather, traffic and regular news.

Now that's just my opinion. Please feel free to disagree.

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

vesse

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 15 April 2002 :  04:26:37  Show Profile  Visit vesse's Homepage  Send vesse an AOL message  Send vesse an ICQ Message
WAP may not be a viable platform now but the language behind it is here to stay - WML

The point is that by extending the forum to a mobile platform you give users more ways to use it and. With upcoming GRPS and G3 phones (some of which are already available in Japan - full colour screens etc.) the platform is going to start to take off.

I may not do his MOD staight away anyway, I've just made some further MODs to Richard Avatar MOD v2.0 and I may go on to further develop MODs for other things as well as working on my own site so this may be a future project for when the technologies get popular.

Building Web Systems for a new Generation @ http://www.vdesign-studios.com
webmaster@vdesign-studios.com
rvesse@hotmail.com
rvesse@dhtmlshock.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07