Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2001 :  12:54:18  Show Profile
Ban User IP Mod
by Davio
for v3.3.03 of the Snitz Forums
Last Modified: October 10, 2001

You will be able to ban users by thier ip address or ban a range of ip addresses.
This is by no way a permanent solution to stop spammers from spamming your forum.
This used along with other prevent methods is used as a deterant to spammers or mis-behaving users.

That said, lets move on.

Downloads:
For Snitz Forums 3.3.03:
http://dsilvera.com/download.asp?mod=ban_ip&ver=33
For Snitz Forums 3.1 SR4:
http://dsilvera.com/download.asp?mod=ban_ip&ver=31

Ease of Installation (1-Hard 10-Easy): 8

UPDATE:
October 10
- Ban Message is now Formated to allow you to use forum code to format the ban message. For the 3.3 version only.

August 23
- Added the option to set your own ban message in the Ban Users Config. For the 3.3.03 version only.

April 26
- Changed the datatype for C_STRBANIP and C_STRBANIPRANGE in the install file from "byte" to "int". Byte isn't supported on SQL servers. For the 3.1 SR4 version only.

SETUP
Read the Readme.txt file or the WinZip comments. The setup instructions for the Snitz Forums 3.3 version are different from the 3.1 SR4 version of this mod.

Since I have only access to an Access database, it would be good if I got back some input from SQL and MySql users also.

If you have any problems please post your questions/errors here:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=94

- David

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2001 :  12:58:38  Show Profile
I needed to move this from archives since I had updated the mod since September 2 (that the last date we backed up the database).
And the link needed to be updated.

- David
Go to Top of Page

Hopper

192 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2001 :  15:10:38  Show Profile  Send Hopper an ICQ Message
Da_stimulator suggested to me perhaps adding a Cookie to the banned persons computer which might, for the less computer sauvy banned people, be able to block the dialup users as well. Workable?

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2001 :  15:22:14  Show Profile
uhhh, I'm guessing you haven't tried the mod then right?

- David
Go to Top of Page

Hopper

192 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2001 :  15:26:22  Show Profile  Send Hopper an ICQ Message
No, i'd written a little one myself a few months ago. Not advanced, just a simple IP ban.

Edited by - Hopper on 08 November 2001 15:27:59
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2001 :  15:32:49  Show Profile
Well, it bans users both by storing a cookie on thier computer and storing thier ip address in the database.

- David
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2001 :  01:39:30  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
quote:

Da_stimulator suggested to me perhaps adding a Cookie to the banned persons computer which might, for the less computer sauvy banned people, be able to block the dialup users as well. Workable?

more than workable, doable.... I have a banning system that does that right now, courtesy of IH of http://www.someplacesomewhere.com

I like this one a lot but I've made some smaller tweaks to optimize the code but this should get you somewhere:

http://www.someplacesomewhere.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4209&FORUM_ID=7&CAT_ID=4&Topic_Title=Banning+From+Forum&Forum_Title=Suggestions+%26+Forum+Related+Issues

note that you can get easily trapped in Ban mode. It does several things like read all IP's that a person has ever posted with in topics and replies and adds them to the ban database, writes a separate cookie and populates the database on reattempts, you can ban by members names too. hard to explain everything that is going on but it is a very useful tool.

Dayve
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2001 :  02:38:12  Show Profile
Dayve, that is a very intresting script. I am always open to improving the ban ip mod.

Skipping through the code, I am not understanding what more the script is doing than placing a cookie on the banned users computer and storing thier ip. I think I see it is setting another cookie when they try to get to the forums again. Is it also renaming the new cookie to something else? How is the script better than the current one here?

- David
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2001 :  12:14:32  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
quote:

Dayve, that is a very intresting script. I am always open to improving the ban ip mod.

Skipping through the code, I am not understanding what more the script is doing than placing a cookie on the banned users computer and storing thier ip. I think I see it is setting another cookie when they try to get to the forums again. Is it also renaming the new cookie to something else? How is the script better than the current one here?

- David

it collects the username and all ip's this person has ever used in any topic or reply as well. I have modified mine to also collect the registration ip which I record when a a new member registers. This used with email password mod has really made things difficult for malicious spamming which I had incurred about a month ago.

not quite sure I said it was better but you can easily catch someone in a loop of bans. there is also an embedded check for administrators ip's (only recommended for those with static IP's!!) that will ban a person if they somehow logged in as me but did not meet the required ip address hard coded in the script. Although this is really not needed I use it as an additional tier of protection.

Dayve
Go to Top of Page

Raichelle

370 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2001 :  12:58:36  Show Profile
im interested in dayve addon too
I read the topic on that site but he stated that you need to creat a new table called FORUM_BAN, with two string fields: M_NAME, M_IP

how can i do that?

Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 10 November 2001 :  12:24:24  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
quote:

im interested in dayve addon too
I read the topic on that site but he stated that you need to creat a new table called FORUM_BAN, with two string fields: M_NAME, M_IP

how can i do that?

this gets asked quite a lot of times. There are several options:

• if your database is small in size, download it from your host and using access, created the table and fields.

• download Table Editor which is a must have remote tool at http://www.2enetworx.com/dev/

• learn how to create .dbs files which I have done before and are quite easy to do

if none of the above options seem easy to you then I would recommend that if you want to continue doing mods and tweaks to your forum that you should really try learning. don't take this is a wrong tone or anything, it is just really important that you take control over your database before your database takes control of you!!

Dayve
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2001 :  08:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Sorry I haven't taken time to actually read through your script, but one initial thought came to mind reading this post.

Using all IP's from the messages the user has posted sounds prone to problems to me, especially with say the likes of AOL users who's IP rotates regularly even during the same session.

Halo of Xegony
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2001 :  22:48:20  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
quote:

Sorry I haven't taken time to actually read through your script, but one initial thought came to mind reading this post.

Using all IP's from the messages the user has posted sounds prone to problems to me, especially with say the likes of AOL users who's IP rotates regularly even during the same session.

Halo of Xegony

you get the same problem if you ban a range of ip's which is just an occupational hazzard that I am willing to take. haven't had any problems yet, but then again, I don't get many AOL users...

Dayve
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2001 :  02:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Yes thats true. But with searching all of the Posts made by that poster your banning individual IP's accross perhaps a couple of C class ranges, just seems an odd approach to me.

But what ever works I say :)

Halo of Xegony
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2001 :  12:36:35  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
quote:

Yes thats true. But with searching all of the Posts made by that poster your banning individual IP's accross perhaps a couple of C class ranges, just seems an odd approach to me.

But what ever works I say :)

Halo of Xegony

doesn't seem at all odd to me. think of the odds first of all, especially on a small scale forum such as mine. now I might reconsider on a larger forum but larger forums have the luxury of more administrators and moderators to police the forum, such as Snitz Community. Smaller forums such as myself with controversal topics at time tend to draw in problematic situations with malicious spammers. I will take my chances. I guess this is something everyone needs to make a personal choice with.

Dayve
Go to Top of Page

Hopper

192 Posts

Posted - 15 November 2001 :  19:05:37  Show Profile  Send Hopper an ICQ Message
Umm.. why do you seem to like using 255 character fields to hold lists of numbers in.

You are limiting them to 5 IP and 5 IP range bans? Why not use a seperate table and give them unlimited bans??

Edited by - Hopper on 15 November 2001 19:35:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07