Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2001 :  12:13:47  Show Profile
When we run a query on FORUM_FORUM it returns the Forums, within the category

And in FORUM_TOPICS it will return the Topics.

The equal number of rows will be returned only when there is one topic within each forum under that category. Else it will be different, which is not wrong.

Share A Square at forumSquare

GauravBhabu
There is only one miracle...That is LIFE!
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2001 :  15:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Ok...

My mistake, I didn't explain it quite clearly... but the test is still valid, so hear me out...

With those queries, on my forums, I could easily see the problem... depending on the content on your forum it may not be so clear... So, here are some new queries that should do the trick:

SELECT * FROM FORUM_FORUM WHERE CAT_ID = 10

AND

SELECT DISTINCT FORUM_ID FROM FORUM_TOPICS WHERE CAT_ID = 10

In this case, regardless of the number of topics the number of records should be the same...

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2001 :  17:05:58  Show Profile
I see what you are saying. But again that is Okay. The forums which are Weblinks will have no topics and thus no rows will be returned for those forums when you run the query on Topics table. But They will still be returned when you run the query on Forum table.

SELECT * FROM FORUM_FORUM WHERE CAT_ID = 10 And F_TYPE <> 1

GauravBhabu

Edited by - GauravBhabu on 29 August 2001 17:10:31
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2001 :  19:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Ok... so you have EXACTLY the same Forums in a CAT_ID showing in your FORUM_TOPICS table as you FORUM_FORUM table?

I don't...

PLUS, I figured out what is goin on....

I created a new forum in CAT_ID = 10... then, I added a topic to make sure both queries returned that particular new FORUM_ID in BOTH the FORUM_FORUM table and the FORUM_TOPICS table. Everything was fine -- the new Forum_ID was 69, and it appeared in CAT_ID = 10 in both tables.

Then I "moved" that Forum to another category... BINGO!... now, the CAT_ID gets updated in the FOUM_FORUM table but NOT in the FORUM_TOPICS table!

Do you get a similar behaviour?

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 29 August 2001 19:08:54
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2001 :  19:56:19  Show Profile
I am not sure but Try doing Update Counts from Admin Section and then run your queries.

GauravBhabu
Go to Top of Page

Guru
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2001 :  23:10:03  Show Profile
Rob and others,

I really really like what you are doing and making and can't wait till this mod is finished. But is there a change this will work with the new (current) version of Snitz? And how about the international version... I'm really wanting the international version because i'm located in the netherlands.

And applying all mods to the new version is becoming a real full-time job, especially with the fixes/fixpacks flying around.

Don't get my question wrong, it's just a question...... The cube-tech forum is exactly what i want for my site... So guys... keep up the good work

Guru

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2001 :  01:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi GauravBhabu,

Sorry, Update Forum COunts does just that -- it updates the Topics, Topic Replies, Forums and Total Replies, for the forum. I looked at the code, plus installed the latest version and looked at it, (since the old version would continually timeout!)

This is very perplexing -- I've been looking at this for some time, and I can't undertand why the CAT_ID is even IN the FORUM_TOPICS table. It doesn't make sense -- and it seems like it isn't being used -- certainly not for displaying forums. If anyone can answer this puzzle, I'd appreciate it!

In anycase, I think that since the FORUM_FORUM table is already joined in the SQL expression, I'm going to suggest that we use the CAT_ID field from that table instead-- it is the only reliable way of getting the correct topics back if you are doing it based on a Category...AND, you happen to move forums.

Therefore, I'm going to change it in the next version of content.asp file. For those that need this resolved right away, here is what you need to do -- right after you see this:

strSql = "SELECT "

strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_SUBJECT, "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_DESCRIPTION, "

ADD THIS:

strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.CAT_ID, "

AND, a few lines further down, DELETE this line:

strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.CAT_ID, "

For those users that are trying to pull content out of an entire category, where the forum has been moved from one category to another, this should solve the problem.

Cheers,

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

koch
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2001 :  10:56:30  Show Profile
- I'm lost ..

Would be nice if some of "you" developers could help "us" not-so-technical-but-still-persons-interested-in-having-a-forum-and-now-Im-stuck-with-it persons with a package that has most bugs removed

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2001 :  12:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Koch,

If you've yet to install this mod, and are not in a hurry, I would wait...

If you're in a hurry, then the current version is pretty darn stable, without too many issues. GauravBhabu's site has a version with his editor, that makes DB set-up and related problems simpler to deal with -- some nice enhancement too...

If you've already installed it and have specific problems, then describe the problems please...

Cheers,

Rob Poretti
Cube-Tec Forums
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2001 :  12:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Ok... in regards to that weirdness with "moved" forums,

I got some answers and it turns out it as a bug is 3.1 sr2 -- resolved in sr4...

See here: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=16116

Only make those changes if you are 3.1 sr2 or earlier...

In the meaan time, the SQL statement will change anyway, so I'll probably get the CAT_ID form the FORUM_FORUM table anyway -- stay tuned...

Rob Poretti
Cube-Tec Forums
Go to Top of Page

modctek
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2001 :  13:15:42  Show Profile  Visit modctek's Homepage  Send modctek an AOL message  Send modctek an ICQ Message  Send modctek a Yahoo! Message
Ok, got the mod working with 3.3 without the dependencies (sort-of) but I'm running into some issues that may be resulting from not having the Posting Restrictions mod installed.

Essentially, what I have done to get the editor working was manually adding the database table to my Access 2000 database, using GauravBhabu's version of contentdisplay_editor.asp, commenting out line #'s 227 and 234 in content.asp (the strSql variables for msgicons and avatars), and then being very careful to not select options that require Message Icons or Avatars. This is not a problem, as I am mainly using this mod as a Front Page News manager, and I prefer a straight, no-nonsense look without icons and such.

The forum that I was pulling content from was a hidden members-only forum, of which I am the sole member, mainly to prevent unauthorized front page posting. This seem to be working fine on the previous version of Content Display mod, but it's quite obvious that the fact that the forum is hidden is now a problem, as anyone who is not me won't see the content.

Clear as mud, right? I'm not quite sure how to fix this, short of changing the access privileges on that particular forum, something that I'm not to keen on, or by getting the Post Restriction mod working, something that may be far beyond my meager ASP skills.

Anyways, I just wanted to post my progress on getting this mod working with my 3.3 boards.

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2001 :  17:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hmmm...

The last version of the content.asp file has a ForumStatus parameter to deal with this. It however, requires you to make changes to the inc_functions.asp page. Have you made those changes?

Rob Poretti
Cube-Tec Forums
Go to Top of Page

modctek
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2001 :  19:16:57  Show Profile  Visit modctek's Homepage  Send modctek an AOL message  Send modctek an ICQ Message  Send modctek a Yahoo! Message
I did set forum status parameter to "0" in anticipation of the fact that the forum I want to pull from is hidden.

I did make the changes to the inc_functions.asp as per the included instructions, but here is the error message I get when I am not logged in as the admin:

quote:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e10'
No value given for one or more required parameters

/forum/inc_functions.asp, line 71

The code at that line is:
quote:

set rsAccess = my_Conn.Execute(strSql)

At this point, strSql = SELECT FORUM_FORUM.F_TOPIC_AUTH, FORUM_FORUM.F_PRIVATEFORUMS , F_HIDDEN FROM FORUM_FORUM WHERE FORUM_ID = 6

which doesn't look right to me. I got lost in the code at this point, as my eyes started to cross. I think the fact that I never had the Posting Restrictions mod installed on my boards may have something to do with it, as I am betting that my database does not have the required tables/fields that your mod is looking for.

Still plugging away at this...

Edited by - modctek on 31 August 2001 19:19:34
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 31 August 2001 :  20:54:43  Show Profile
FORUM_FORUM.F_PRIVATEFORUMS
Yes these fields get created with Mod PostingRestriction. I am writting instructions for Mod Posting Instructions, but due to changes/fixes being made in the files, the line numbers go off. I have completed instructions to make changes in forum.asp. Still 4 More files to go. I will try to finish it today. No Promises. But I am working on it and get it out as soon as possible.

GauravBhabu

Edited by - GauravBhabu on 31 August 2001 20:56:15
Go to Top of Page

modctek
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2001 :  02:54:22  Show Profile  Visit modctek's Homepage  Send modctek an AOL message  Send modctek an ICQ Message  Send modctek a Yahoo! Message
Definitely don't forget to go out and enjoy the holiday weekend! Even if you aren't American!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07