Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2001 :  19:15:41  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
GauravBhabu,

I have not started on CSS, so this would be a great place for you to start! There should be a couple of things that we should consider:

1) WorkMule has already created a CSS "version" of Snitz Forum 3.3. I have not looked at it yet, but I think we should see what he has done...

2) I understand the CSS is a high priority for the next version of Snitz forums, so we need to see what developments are going on there...

Concerning your initial comments... yes excellent... this is what we need...

We definately need to consider "larger" web-site development where there will be numerous families/styles that may be required and numerous variations within any particular family/style. It should be flexible enough so that in the middle of development, you're not forced to stop and create a new DisplayMode just because you want the headline type larger! My current content.asp page has 9 different WriteSubject functions! This is ridiculous...

I wonder if there is a CSS implementation comittee for the upcoming version. You may want to look into this...

I'll have an update on a number of fronts that I'm working on tomorrow...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 22 August 2001 19:22:02
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2001 :  20:12:14  Show Profile
I looked at content.asp today for using CSS. Since you are working on it, Have a look at case 1. You will find that within the if else the statements are exactly same with the exception of checking for User level. Thisis happening in other case statements as well.

I think split this code in two if satements as described below

If mlev = 4 then
End if

if MessageLength = 0 then
else
End if

At present it is

If mlev = 4 then
else
End if
Else
else
End if
End if

Share A Square at forumSquare

GauravBhabu

There is only one miracle...That is LIFE!

Edited by - GauravBhabu on 22 August 2001 20:27:25
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2001 :  08:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Yes...

There was a reason for this... I didn't want to use variables for colspan's and I need the table structure (2 TD's per row) to to be constant regardless of whether the content was displayed for an administrator or regular user. If you split the code as you describe, you have two TD's only if you are an admin -- a normal user would have one...

Anyway, this has been rewritten as a sub -- it was a lengthy chunk so I split it off. I'm no longer concerned about having the Admin "edit" button on the same row as the "read more" link... The admin edit button will also be controlled by the Special paramater that I will use a bitmask to encode -- so this will be stored as a parameter. You will still be able to "manually" turn this on/off from the editor. This is my next "little" project, as soon as I finish this horizontal javascript DisplayMode that I've been trying to get working!

Cheers!

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 23 August 2001 11:04:41
Go to Top of Page

Astralis

USA
1218 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2001 :  01:13:43  Show Profile  Send Astralis a Yahoo! Message
I'm sorry guys but I'm having a hard time following you.

Has the mod been updated to reflect all the new postings? I checked it a couple of days ago but there were still issues being worked out on it.

If there are complete directions then it would be very useful. If not, I can wait. This is an awesome mod!

Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2001 :  03:18:49  Show Profile
The Mod as is completely working within the current scope. It is now being worked out to increase the scope. At present, it can be used to display sontent by category, forum, topic or author in varied formats.

GauravBhabu

Go to Top of Page

modctek
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2001 :  23:50:09  Show Profile  Visit modctek's Homepage  Send modctek an AOL message  Send modctek an ICQ Message  Send modctek a Yahoo! Message
Rob,

I really, really want to use your Mod, but I am having problems locating the mods you list as dependancies. Do you have any inside information as to where I can get them?

Chris

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2001 :  11:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
modctek,

If you look at the bottom of the very first post in this topic, you should see links to all of the dependencies...

Cheers,

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2001 :  13:53:45  Show Profile
More on the portal project
Here is a list of things i consider really needed to make the portalproject/CMS system. As I see it, the system should build on...

1. Kal corps groupmod. - both concerning grouped categories and grouped calendar functions the depths of the categories should be almost unlimited (like the links manager). - we use the categories as the different sections of the portal. one or more categorygroup would be the forum itself, several other categorygroups should be build, that all contain sections like news/articlesaboutA/articlesaboutB/links/downloadable files/myfiles a.s.o. - new groups of cats should be able to be build on-the-fly by the admin.

2. READ/WRITE templates. then build on the DCM MOD, we create several templates that are able to read from and write to the different types of cats; one template should be a article reader, one a link reader, one a file reader a.s.o.

3. Interfacing. The last step is to build an interface, where admin can control the different categorygroups and individual categories and sub categories. - here I am a little bit in the dark, but both HuwR and Tschive have succeeded to do some steps of it in their Portal mods. I imagine, a system could be build, where a 3 column template is created and using dropdown of each categorygroupīs categories is used for deciding content of the specific sections and the DCM MOD templates are used for deciding the look of the site?...

hmmm...Big Project...but also very interesting, because by now, I think more people are using Snitz as a Portal/CMS system than as a forum just. Look at the succes of PHPNuke - itīs great and has SO many mods - but itīs a *** to work with graphically and many of itīs mods only run on stupid Linux servers....

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com

Edited by - morpheus73 on 28 August 2001 13:58:30
Go to Top of Page

modctek
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2001 :  13:54:22  Show Profile  Visit modctek's Homepage  Send modctek an AOL message  Send modctek an ICQ Message  Send modctek a Yahoo! Message
Heh,

Just so you don't think I'm a complete idiot, I did see those links, but was unable to get them to work. I'm guessing that maybe those sites cap downloads on a daily basis?

This morning, I was able to get two of the mods, but I am still unable to get HuwR's Forum Restrict mod. The link still appears broken to me...

Can anyone confirm my suspicion? I'll keep trying!

Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2001 :  17:18:06  Show Profile
You can download posting Restrictions Mod at my site.

GauravBhabu

Go to Top of Page

modctek
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2001 :  18:16:14  Show Profile  Visit modctek's Homepage  Send modctek an AOL message  Send modctek an ICQ Message  Send modctek a Yahoo! Message
OK, so I'm a huge pest.

I just finished upgrading my Snitz forums to 3.3, and then started into re-integrating Rob's fine Display Content Mod, which I see has also changed significantly. I finally located all the dependant mods that Rob lists as being necessary to running Display Content. And encountered a problem:

The mods I need to install into my 3.3 forums don't seem to be updated to integrate in the Snitz 3.3 code! In other words, following the included instructions indicates code that has quite obviously been changed significantly. I know enough ASP to be dangerous, but I definitely have not spend enough time in Snitz code to be able to reverse engineer these mods into the new code.

Would I be better off regressing my forums back to 3.1 in order to get these mods and Display Content working?

Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2001 :  18:21:34  Show Profile
I have Display content working on 3.3. I did not get time to package the files which are modified with the dependent Mods. If you go to my site you will find a link to my site with DIsplay content installed on v33. The Link is on the main page under Announcements.

I will package the modified files sometime this week.

GauravBhabu

Edited by - GauravBhabu on 28 August 2001 18:22:45
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2001 :  21:21:18  Show Profile
Is the file at the link on first page the most up2date one? I plan to look to it for v4.0 compatibility issues and upgrade it if possible.

Think Pink
Test Site & Guidelines | DL Post v40b02 Files
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2001 :  21:34:03  Show Profile
Rob is working on some features. I have also done little tweaking. I am waiting for Rob to finish and release the changes.

GauravBhabu

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2001 :  11:32:41  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Sorry for the delay folks...

I've had a heck of a time to stay on "task" -- plus I've been pushed to get this new website "on-line" before it should...

If anyone is interested: Cube-Tec Forums
The home page is using quite a lot of the Display Content MOD and includes some new display modes - notably at the bottom of the page in the "Featured Article" section.

Some of the new changes and display modes are in a version of the editor that is on-line -- if you're interested in playing around. It includes javascript pop-ups of the parameters, so that you are not constantly looking at what all the numbers mean. Now that I've been using it for awahile, I can't believe I hadn't done this earlier! I'm not finished implementing GauravBhabu's editor changes, but as soon as I do, I will post a new version -- please bear with me.

Other reasons for delays:
I was wondering why using ContentType = 0 and then specifying a specific category ID was NOT returning the correct number of records. After some digging it turns out that the TOPICS.CAT_ID field is partially "orphaned" in the Snitz forum code. I can't tell to what extent yet but I do know one thing: Forums belonging to one category in the TOPICS.CAT_ID field belong to a different category in the FORUMS.CAT_ID field!!!

I am guessing (I have to look into it further -- although a Snitz developer might help here!), that the TOPICS.CAT_ID field is not really been used -- or, it is certainly not being updated when forums are being moved from one category to another. (as a possible example of an action that is causing the tables to not be synchronized.) I know that the FORUM.CAT_ID field is the one being used to display forums in their "correct" categories for the default.asp page.

If in fact, the TOPICS.CAT_ID is not being used, then I would have to derive that field from the FORUM_FORUM table instead...

Then again, perhaps there is something messed up in my particular forum... in which case I don't have to change anything and just fix my pages! In order to try and figure this out (unless any of you have some explicit information), I need some of you to run two seperate queries on their forums:

SELECT * FROM FORUM_TOPICS WHERE CAT_ID = 10
SELECT * FROM FORUM_FORUM WHERE CAT_ID = 10

I used CAT_ID=10 -- you need to use a valid CAT_ID for your forum. As long as each forum has a topic in it, you should have the same number of records coming up in both cases... if not, then Houston....we have a problem.

I hope I'm just not suffereing from sleep deprivation...

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 29 August 2001 11:35:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07