Snitz Forums 2000
Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Comparing files

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!
Before posting, make sure you have read this topic!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
campinmom03 Posted - 19 March 2008 : 05:36:24
Good morning. I did a search and could not find what I was looking for. I know I've seen it mentioned, and maybe I just didn't input the right key word for the search.

Anyway, what program do you guys use for comparing your files?<
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AnonJr Posted - 07 May 2008 : 07:10:59
No problem. It really is a great tool and has served me well. <
leatherlips Posted - 06 May 2008 : 21:43:30
Thanks AnonJr.<
AnonJr Posted - 06 May 2008 : 21:32:31
http://winmerge.org/Wiki/General_Development#Windows_Vista_support<
leatherlips Posted - 06 May 2008 : 21:11:36
Does anyone know if WinMerge is Vista compatible? Sounds like a great tool.<
campinmom03 Posted - 20 March 2008 : 06:39:54
origninally posted by: ruirib
quote:
BeyondCompare is so intelligently coded that it will allow you to use it free for 30 days - but these are not 30 days since you use it the first time, but actually 30 different days on which you used the app, which may span a lot longer than 30 days from your first use - just a small indication of a how well thought out this tool is.

That's nice to know! I just paid bills... but considering that info, by the time my 30 days is up I'll be able to get it! Thanks for the info ruirib. <
ruirib Posted - 19 March 2008 : 23:24:45
quote:
Originally posted by campinmom03

gary b thank you for the information. I appreciate it as I have been up half the night with my kids being sick. Thats probably the reason why I couldn't find this in a search the first time. http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62765&SearchTerms=beyond,compare

You also mention - "Well worth the money". How much is it?

BeyondCompare is so intelligently coded that it will allow you to use it free for 30 days - but these are not 30 days since you use it the first time, but actually 30 different days on which you used the app, which may span a lot longer than 30 days from your first use - just a small indication of a how well thought out this tool is.

I've paid the 30 bucks and have never regreted it.<
muzishun Posted - 19 March 2008 : 22:22:22
I'll put another vote in for WinMerge, and I have to say I am glad I stopped by here. Anon, that is quite the list of portable apps! A lot of those look like things I could use.<
campinmom03 Posted - 19 March 2008 : 21:29:29
Hey guys! I've had a long day with the kids being sick and all. Thought I would drop in to see how much that beyondcompare2 was... and OMG and I cannot believe all the responses left for me to read.
Honestly, we have to talk about toys more often, eh?

HuwR - I think I'll check out the free ones that you and the others have posted about. Thank you.

Thirty bucks isn't a bad price for beyondcompare2 considering all the reviews on it.

Well gotta go for now. Thanks again everyone!<
AnonJr Posted - 19 March 2008 : 15:45:19
I've got a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer that I've been using... I could use a little more space though.

So far, this is what I've got for portable apps: (not all are from the portableapps.com site)

• 7-Zip Portable

• Audacity Portable (audio editor)

• AutorunINF Editor (a nice GUI for making autorun.inf files)

• Blender (3D Modeling program)

• CDex (CD Ripper)

• ClamWin Portable

• ColorPix (for finding what RGB an onscreen color is)

• EZ Macros (don't use much...)

• Foxit PDF Reader

• GIMP Portable

• JkDefrag

• KeePass Portable (don't use much...)

• MDBPlus

• Mines-Perfect Portable (portable Minesweeper on steroids )

• MLA Autogenerator

• Mozilla FireFox Portable (with FTP extension, Web Developer's Toolbar, and a lot more)

• Mozilla Thunderbird Portable (don't use this much...)

• MPlayer Portable

• Notepad++ Portable

• OpenOffice.org Portable

• PC Wizard (gathers system info etc.)

• PhotoFiltre

• CamStudio

• e-Sword (bible study software)

• Restoration (file un-deleter, not the best but there's no installation required)

• Screen Calipers (for measuring to the pixle on-screen items)

• Scribus (found the portable version somewhere... its like Publisher, but better and free)

• SysSpec (like PC Wizard, but returns slightly different info and has a better UI)

• TightVNC

• ToDoList (haven't been using this one much...)

• Toucan Portable (file/folder synchronization and/or backup)

• VirtualDub (AVI editor)

• Inkscape (found the portable verison somewhere... great vector graphics program)

• WinMerge

• Wink (found the portable version somewhere... free screen capture/tutorial builder)

• Windows In A Box - one-click access to just about every Windows setting you could want to tweak

• Wavosaur (light-weight audio editor, this one supports VST plugins though)

*The stuff with "Portable" in the name came from the Portable Apps website.

I've also got some other apps that I keep on the drive that don't play well with the PortableApps menu.<
JJenson Posted - 19 March 2008 : 15:14:07
Anon coolest link I have ever seen the portable apps one. I am going to go buy a flash drive speciafically for that. <
AnonJr Posted - 19 March 2008 : 13:51:09
The best part (for me) is that you can easily un-zip WinMerge to a flash drive and take it with you. Between it and some of the other tools over at www.portableapps.com (and a few I've found floating around here and there), I can do most of what I need to do from any Windows PC. <
Panhandler Posted - 19 March 2008 : 11:05:12
quote:
Originally posted by AnonJr

I've been using WinMerge for a long time, and I've been happy with it as well. Its free too.
. . .

Wow, thanks! I checked it out and the screen shots look like BeyondCompare. . .
The price is right too.
<
phy1729 Posted - 19 March 2008 : 10:53:47
I use diff. It come free on any *nix based system and there is a free windows version. I is a command line based utility not GUI but it works well.<
balexandre Posted - 19 March 2008 : 10:53:06
I have 2 love WinMerge it's doing a fantastic job on my part <
AnonJr Posted - 19 March 2008 : 09:11:15
I've been using WinMerge for a long time, and I've been happy with it as well. Its free too.

In the end it comes down to what works best for you. When talking about tools, you'll find a lot of people get just a tad over emotional about their favorite tools. <

Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07