Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4206 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2018 :  00:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, think we're finally about bug free; so I'm going to release this to anyone who wants the most versatile and complete forum on the internet. Among other things, it has:

225+ Radio button-controlled modules
100 + Themes
150,000 + database entries
~ 20,000 files (~ 1000 ASP pages)
165 MB programs and images
3.87 GB extras (avatars, audio files, tools, etc.)

The only part that you HAVE to get is "forum.rar". If you decide not to get and use the extras, the forum will detect the missing files and disable those modules.

The tools include database conversion utilities (from Access to MySql or MSSQL).

The nt/ot files are King James Bible (in English) audio files. There are forum interfaces, searches, etc.; which support them.

Thanks to MaGraham (for hosting and bug searching) and Philip Saunders for helping identify bugs.

You will need to change either the database name or config.asp (or both) to protect your forum.

Edited by - Carefree on 05 June 2018 08:35:46

philsbbs

United Kingdom
397 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2018 :  07:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[)8]

Phil
Go to Top of Page

golfmann

United States
450 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2018 :  16:20:12  Show Profile  Visit golfmann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow...
You've been busy!

I'd like to check this out more.
Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4206 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2018 :  23:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help yourself :)

Once upon a time (several years ago) ... no really, it was only once , I thought I was done with developing the modular version of Snitz forums. Originally, my idea was simply to incorporate the mods found on SnitzBitz.com - and to make them controlled by an administrative page. This was intended to eliminate most, if not all, of the programming required from new admins.

Since then, it's become something a bit more complex and complete. Anti-spam? Of course. Several methods exist. Banning members, email or IP addresses, even entire countries? You can do it. Other security features include password salting (unique to every user and which changes every visit), content detection, 2-factor security for logins, COPPA and EU privacy compliance, and much more. A custom 401 page can capture many basic hacking attempts and lock out the user or IP address after a set number. If a user attempts to access a page of any disabled module, he/she will be redirected to the default page. If the forum admin does the same, he/she will be redirected to the mod management page.

Want a unique appearance? You can change the look (what and where things are displayed in margins or top/bottom frames), color themes (for forums and/or individual pages) which include national holiday themes and personal birthday themes, buttons, rounded/flat corners of tables, standard/drop menus, default page contents, etc. all from admin pages. You can even edit themes' color schemes (which also modify drop menu CSS colors to match) dynamically from an admin page. Themes may also include background sounds (e.g., for birthdays or national holiday themes), which are configured to only play once per occasion, resetting on the member's next visit after that date.

Want to accept advertising on your forum? It's supported. Place ads in top (banner style), or on either/both left and right frames. Have other content in the frames? You can choose to put ads above or below such content. A number of modules have been configured to display in the side frames, the admin_site_includes page allows you to enable/disable them, and/or to specify which side and in which order each appears. If the modules are disabled in the admin mod management page, they are also disabled here. Have multiple banner ads to display? You can choose whether to display them in a marquee (rolling ads), or by timer. The timer displays them for fractions of a day, based upon the quantity of ads to include, in the order specified from the admin page.

Need special access groups? Maybe the teenagers want a private forum that adults couldn't view - or someplace to talk about sexual concerns where their younger siblings couldn't see. It's here. Built-in groups include adults, minors, teenagers, males/females, normal members, staff, and prisoners. Prisoners? Yep. Not every forum has them, but many do ... the user(s) who apparently refuse to follow the rules. Warnings don't always have an effect - but locking them into a single place sometimes will do the trick. It's supported. Maybe you're political at heart (want to be a governor or president), and then you could approve a pardon for any criminals. An amnesty function exists also.

While you can use the user groups and deny access to forums if members are minors, using the adult content module, you can designate forums in which adult language is not censored - and lock the minors out. Automatically restricting minors, converting them to the teenagers group, and/or converting teenagers to adults, is only effective if (in the members' detail page) you require date-of-birth and if you also choose to disable changing year of birth following registration.

Two different chat programs are provided, each with its own features. One is entirely driven by ASP and Javascript, the other by Flash. Both use the forum's user names. The ASP version supports a few smileys, a few text formatting options, and all HTML5 default colors. The flash version supports skinning, chat transcripts, multiple rooms (password protected if desired) and multiple moderators; but has no smileys nor text formatting.

Want online games? If you get the additional content files, there are over 1250 flash games, and several asp/javascript games (cryptograms, anagrams, crossword puzzles, and Sudoku). The anagrams game is not yet complete, but it can be played as is. There are a LOT of word combinations to add. Trying to resolve a javascript issue with a word search application ... if I do, I will add it.

Feel like hosting a web-based radio? You can. Need a louder alarm clock? Many of us are "hard sleepers" and find it difficult to wake with clock radios and the typical desk clocks. The forum has an alarm option which each member can use and schedule as many alarms as he/she would like. If you are hosting the streaming media (radio) and the member uses Internet Explorer (for the playlist capability), then the alarm can play random music from their selection. Otherwise, alarm media can be any mp3 audio, or mp4 video, anywhere on the web.

As far as I know, all beta testers spoke only English, so other than a few modules which were already translated, languages other than English are currently only supported through the web-based, machine dynamic translator option. If someone has a lot of time and speaks at least one language in addition to English, please feel free to translate any/all text, menus, buttons, etc. I will modify the programs to incorporate translations if they are provided.

There's a migration page which is intended to help move forums from standard/stock Snitz forums to the modular forum. I could write code to migrate all known tables (from the 275 mods), but then I would have to compare all the original mod coding to ensure fields did not get titles or definitions changed, etc.

The default user/password is "admin/admin". You will want to change that. From the mod management page, enable the name changer and password reset for forum admin. After changing either, you'll have to login again.

As you may imagine, all of this software has potential bugs (errors) beyond those already identified. There is a bug reporter application which also allows forum administrators to send a copy to me automatically upon verification of bug(s).
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2018 :  12:34:14  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Anti-spam? Of course. Several methods exist.

Carefree, Months ago I woke up to about 5,000 spam posts and decided to do something as soon as I cleaned them up.

I subscribed to both the StopForumSpam and Cleantalk APIs. Spam is basically non-existent now. I have it send me an email with all the info on the blocked attempt for review, have not seen a single false positive. Example email.... City says NY, IP says India.....

The only spam I get is the occasional dufus that wants to spam his eBay listings or some crap like that.

Switch the order of your title tags

Edited by - bobby131313 on 22 June 2018 12:35:08
Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4206 Posts

Posted - 27 June 2018 :  23:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be very simple to do an IP verification during registration, that feature is already built in. Enable the IP-to-Country module and it will not let someone enter the wrong country. If you also use the anti-spam function to block heavy spam countries like Nigeria, Ivory Coast, etc.; you can prevent a lot of garbage. Of course, he/she could use a proxy server to spoof that. Will have to write a proxy detection routine and block anyone using such. The drawback to that approach is it will block entire countries (e.g., China) which censor web access.
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2018 :  09:04:04  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These services are not just IP/Country verification. They have DBs of known spammer IPs, IDs, and email addresses. CleanTalk's seems pretty massive.

Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4206 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2018 :  04:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there are a number of those on the web. Not sure how they could possibly remain current, since Nigeria alone spawns thousands of fake email addresses every month. Blocking iP ranges (not addresses) of known spammer/scammer groups works wonders. I remember when the 409 code was first assigned to internet scamming, about 15-17 years ago. In those days, the scammers often used the same email accounts and it was much simpler to spot them.
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2018 :  19:10:21  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see no link anywhere to download this. I have a small, access-driven, forum that is pretty much defunct. I would like to implement this over there & tinker with it to see if I could/should use it on my main Mohicans forum. Need something to do in my retirement!!! Show me the way.

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2018 :  21:29:58  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Not sure how they could possibly remain current

They have plugins for all the popular platforms that feeds back to them when accounts are locked. I have not had one robot spammer since implementing the 2.

Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4206 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2018 :  23:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richfed I see no link anywhere to download this. I have a small, access-driven, forum that is pretty much defunct. I would like to implement this over there & tinker with it to see if I could/should use it on my main Mohicans forum. Need something to do in my retirement!!! Show me the way.

Well I had links in the first topic, don't know what happened to them. Here you go:

Google Drive Link
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2018 :  20:37:06  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I downloaded forum.rar. tools.rar & avatars.rar. Is that all I need for a fully functioning Snitz Forum? What exactly are the nt.rar & ot.rar files. I get the rest are games, correct? Where would I find the migration page?

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4206 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2018 :  07:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it will work without the other files. NT/OT are Bible audio files, flash are games. I will write you a migration program based on the mods you are using.
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2018 :  18:49:11  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're the man. Thank you!

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4206 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2018 :  23:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Done. See your mail.
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2018 :  17:08:24  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07