Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2017 :  08:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in the process of moving my MySQL databases over to a new server and the Snitz database is proving problematic and I'm getting a HTTP:500 error after pointing the connection string to the new server's IP

The host has said..
quote:
it looks like because your previous MYSQL version was 5.1 and the new one is 5.5 that the connection information you are using is not supported

Is there an easy fix for this editing the current connection string or is it a case of loading the ODBC 5.1 driver into the new server?

Here is my current connection string (important stuff edited out)

strConnString = "driver={MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver};option=16387;server=000.000.00.000;user=edit;password=edit;DATABASE=edit;" '##MySQL w/ MyODBC v5.1

Thanks

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2017 :  17:40:49  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
first thing you need to ask them is what odbc version do they have available, AFAIK 5.5 is the MySQL version not the ODBC version, I think the latest ODBC is 5.3

ODBC 5.1 should connect to MySQL 5.5 so it is possible they are using another later odbc version

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2017 :  07:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you ever get the feeling that you're going around in circles when talking to host tech support?

After asking the question twice now and them looking into the connection issue for seemingly hours, they have come back with ..
quote:
Thank you for your patience, I have looked into your query and the new VPS currently uses MariaDB ->

+-------------------------+---------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
| innodb_version | 5.5.52-MariaDB-38.3 |
| protocol_version | 10 |
| slave_type_conversions | |
| version | 5.5.56-MariaDB |
| version_comment | MariaDB Server |
| version_compile_machine | x86_64 |
| version_compile_os | Linux |

We wouldn't be able to install the depreciated ODBC driver 5.1 however we may be able to install the MariaDB driver ->

Yet MySQL ODBC 5.1 is stil available to use: https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/5.1.html

Am I right in thinking that the following connection string willwork with the MariaDB ODBC 3.0 driver (if it is installed)...

strConnString = "driver={MariaDB ODBC 3.0 Driver};option=16387;server=00.00.00.00;user=edit;password=edit;DATABASE=db_name;" '##MySQL w/ MariaDB ODBC 3.0 Driver

Thanks

Edit: just corrected a typo

Edited by - Webbo on 01 November 2017 08:11:13
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2017 :  07:48:17  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
params are slightly different, I believe the following should work

"Driver={MariaDB ODBC 3.0 Driver};Server=localhost;UID=odbc_user;PWD=odbc_pw;DB=odbc_test;Port=3306" (port is optional I believe)

Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2017 :  08:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Huw, I've just corrected a typo in the string (2.0 should have read 3.0) but it still doesn't work which suggests that the MariaDB driver isn't installed or is incorrectly installed

Running setup.asp it is returning the following error:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

I've put it back in the hands of our hosts so will await their response.

(The forums are still working ok as they're still running off the existing servers not the new one we're trying to move over to)
Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2017 :  20:31:38  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is still ongoing, I have managed to get a connection string to connect to a test database on the new server but when trying to create tables it manages to create 8 tables and then errors out.

Using the same connection string to an existing db on the new server results in the setup.asp page saying that the database needs to be installed (it already is)

Is Snitz forum compatible with MySQL Server 5.5 ?
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2017 :  22:06:43  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, I have a local copy running against MySQL 5.5
I use the following connection string (I have odbc 5.3 installed)
strConnString = "driver={MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI Driver};option=16387;server=XXXXX;user=XXX;password=XXX;DATABASE=snitz2000;"

Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2017 :  22:26:32  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just on the off chance I just tried that and got the following error:

quote:
Error Description :
Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 5: Access is denied. (MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI Driver, C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.3\myodbc5a.dll).

I have asked the host to compare the version of MySQL on the previous server with that of the new server and they sent me the following.

quote:
New Server:
| innodb_version | 5.5.52-MariaDB-38.3 |
| slave_type_conversions | |
| version | 5.5.56-MariaDB |
| version_comment | MariaDB Server |
| version_compile_os | Linux |
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Old Server

| version | 5.1.73-log |
| version_comment | Source distribution |
| version_compile_os | redhat-linux-gnu |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

with a suggestion that I may have to consider re writing the connection script

Any thoughts would be appreciated where to go on this

Regards,
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2017 :  14:08:42  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell, they need to install an odbc driver for MariaDB (NOT MySQL) https://downloads.mariadb.org/connector-odbc/
You should then be able to connect the forum to the database.

It is not the database version that is the issue here, classic asp does not connect directly to the server it must use a connector (in this case ODBC).
Ask your host if they have installed a MariaDB ODBC driver on your webserver because without one you won't be able to connect the forum to the new database.

Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2017 :  14:17:59  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just to rule out any coding issues I've tried to install a fresh version of Snitz on the server with an new empty MySQL db and despite trying multiple connection strings I can't get past the HTTP500 error.
I've asked the host to install ODBC 5.3 to try the above connection string, or cancel the server order as I've lot too much time on this as it is
Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2017 :  14:19:11  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Post overlap

Will do Huw
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2017 :  18:44:48  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Webbo

Post overlap

Will do Huw

[)8]

Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2017 :  20:54:07  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I asked the question, quoting your reply here Huw, and received the following message back, eventually..

quote:
Unfortunately, we are unable to install additional software onto the managed VPS platform and can only use what software components already exist on the system. An un-managed VPS may be more suitable as you will have full root access to the system and you can install any components you wish to suit your needs.

Part of my response was "I fail to see why you cannot install a driver if it resolves this issue, please explain" , I won't quote the rest - am I missing something
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2017 :  07:43:21  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I totally agree, if they are provinding the Maria DB for your use then they really should be providing a means to connect to it

Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 10 November 2017 :  17:27:03  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well it's still not connecting and I'm lost here

The databases are in place on the VPS and I've been told several times that a MySQL ODBC Connector is installed and it is doing the same job as the requested MariaDB ODBC Connector that Huw suggested should be used.
Yet despite all this and using countless variations of connection strings I still cannot get the Snitz Forum to read the database tables.

Apparently there is MySQL 3.51 driver available on the VPS and using that in a connection string and running setup.asp brings up the following...
quote:

The database needs to be installed !!

You need to create all the tables in the database before you can start using the forum.

Click here to create the tables in the database.

Click here to retry.

Yet the database is there complete with all the tables, etc.

After several days and hours with this issue one message that came back from the tech support was....

quote:
I've double checked everything and the ODBC driver is installer and external MySQL connections are enabled.

It's in the MySQL configuration file (/etc/my.cnf) ->

#bind-address = ::ffff:127.0.0.1
bind-address=0.0.0.0

Enabled in Plesk ->

====
Tools & Settings > Database Servers > Settings

"Allow remote connections from any host" is selected.
====

And we can log in externally from another server with that MySQL user ("myUID") to that database, and see tables and data there ->

=====
$ mysql -h server_IP -u myUID -p myPWD
Enter password:
Reading table information for completion of table and column names
You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 90676
Server version: 5.5.56-MariaDB MariaDB Server

Copyright (c) 2000, 2016, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql [db_name]> show tables;
+--------------------------+
| Tables_in_db_name |
| list of tables
80 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql [db_name]>
=====

I'm afraid I don't know why that forum software has that issue, because server side here everything looks fine.

Are you able to speak to the developers of the software for any guidance or tips why this might be occurring? They may have come across this before.

So any suggestions would be appreciated, and Huw if you would like to look at the full transcript of the support ticket let me know and I'll arrange temporary access

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2017 :  10:35:28  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the drivers are installed then I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't connect, but then I have never tried to connect to mariadb only MySQL.
however just because they can connect to MySQL from another server does not prove that you can connect using the odbc driver, have they tried connecting using ODBC?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07