Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Favorites Icons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TastyNutz

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2009 :  11:49:37  Show Profile  Visit TastyNutz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apology accepted, and I appreciate the information. Especially since a simple Google search for "favicon" mostly turns up instructions along the lines of what leatherlips posted.<

PowerQuad Disability Support Forum
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2009 :  12:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we can "thank" Internet Explorer for that one.

Microsoft were the first ones to introduce support for favicons and, as there was no agreed standard at the time, they made up their own rules (hell, who are we kidding, they still make up their own rules for things even when there is an agreed standard!). Consequently, when other browsers started adding support for them, even after they were standardised, they used the flawed logic that programmers would expect their browser to support them in the same way as the most popular browser in the world thus keeping this incorrect method alive to this day.

The reason it is incorrect is that is considered to be "link squatting" (robots.txt is another culprit), something which goes against the guidelines laid out in the W3C's "Architecture of the World Wide Web". How, for example, would you change the colour of your favicon to correspond with the colour coding of the various sections of your site?

For more information on the W3C's recommendations for adding a favicon to your pages see w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon.

For more information on the history of the favicon see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon.

<

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”

Edited by - Shaggy on 24 February 2009 12:19:32
Go to Top of Page

MikeB.Lynn

54 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2009 :  06:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm lost
Here is what my inc_header.aso line 253 looks like:

rs.close
   set rs = nothing
end if

Response.Write "<html>" & vbNewline & vbNewline & _
      "<head>" & vbNewline & _
      "<title>" & GetNewTitle(strScriptName) & "</title>" & vbNewline
Response.Write "<link href=""favicon.ico"" rel=""icon"" type=""image/ico"" />"  

'## START - REMOVAL, MODIFICATION OR CIRCUMVENTING THIS CODE WILL VIOLATE THE SNITZ FORUMS 2000 LICENSE AGREEMENT
Response.Write "<meta name=""copyright"" content=""This Forum code is Copyright (C) 2000-05 Michael Anderson, Pierre Gorissen, Huw Reddick and Richard Kinser, Non-Forum Related code is Copyright (C) " & strCopyright & """>" & vbNewline 
'## END   - REMOVAL, MODIFICATION OR CIRCUMVENTING THIS CODE WILL VIOLATE THE SNITZ FORUMS 2000 LICENSE AGREEMENT

I added the part in red but still no favicon.
Any ideas

Never mind. In another thread I found similar instructions (written by AnonJr) but it said to put it here:
"-->" & vbNewLine & _
      "</style>" & vbNewLine & _
      "<link rel=""shortcut icon"" href=""favicon.ico"">" & vbNewLine & _  
     "</head>" & vbNewLine & _

Edited by - MikeB.Lynn on 18 March 2009 06:56:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07