Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

clj

145 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2004 :  08:49:30  Show Profile
Hi all,

Someone recently suggested to me a feature they'd seen on another forum they moderated called 'Bozo'...

When someone is recognised as a troll, their membership status is changed to 'Bozo' by moderators. Posts from people with 'Bozo' status only show to the 'Bozo' themselves, other forum members can't see them.

In effect, the troll thinks that he is being ignored, but in reality his posts just can't be seen.

Is there any mod like this already in existance?

Thanks,
Clare

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2004 :  09:09:56  Show Profile
can you explain to me what a troll is?
Go to Top of Page

aspwiz

250 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2004 :  09:53:44  Show Profile  Visit aspwiz's Homepage
I think he means lamerz... people who disrupt your forum.
Go to Top of Page

clj

145 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2004 :  12:46:51  Show Profile
Sorry I mean someone who just comes onto the forum to cause trouble by posting nonsense or abuse.
Go to Top of Page

cyber Knight
Starting Member

41 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2004 :  02:06:41  Show Profile
i've seen something like that in few php forums but it gives members the option to add such posters to ignore list:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=209650&view=next
http://www.portedmods.com/ftopict-207.html
http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/1113
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2004 :  06:38:59  Show Profile
Not exactly what you described.
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=48986&SearchTerms=ignore

Snitz Bitz download

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

clj

145 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2004 :  07:52:37  Show Profile
Thanks for your responses, the PHP ones seem to be what I want but not for ASP.

Unfortunately the Snitz mod is not quite what I'm looking for.

Would it be possible to request such a mod?
Thanks,
Clare
Go to Top of Page

nickw

Ireland
193 Posts

Posted - 11 October 2004 :  14:04:50  Show Profile
Is there any update on this mod?

Thanks,

Nick
Go to Top of Page

clj

145 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2004 :  07:00:01  Show Profile
Any news on this? I think someone was looking into it but I'm not sure that they finished testing.
Go to Top of Page

GarethMoore1979

United Kingdom
220 Posts

Posted - 06 November 2004 :  08:16:28  Show Profile
this would be a great mod...far better than banning people and having them re-register!
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 06 November 2004 :  10:52:50  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
the problem with a mod like this is that if someone does not ignore a troll and the quote the troll's comments from a post, it will appear in a non-ignored persons post, so there may be a lot times where you actually still see the trolls comments.

I have been using a mod for the past year or two that really helps with controlling undesirable members. this mod prevents new members from spamming the board and having the community see it AND assists in when you do ban a member that tries to come back.

What this mod does is forces moderation to be turned on for members with less than X posts (this number can be set to whatever). When a new member comes to the board, they can post all they want, but the public will not see it until it is approved. Once they have reached X amount of moderated posts, then they can freely post. If that member, or any other member goes renegade, you simply lock the account, use IP ban if you got it. If the person recreates an account and uses a different computer, therefore bypassing the ban, their initial reaction is to tell people off, but with the new account means moderation is on by default because they are not back down to 0 posts. It's great when they come to a realization that their voice will never be heard again.

Now some can become clever and pretend to be nice and make basic posts to reach the X amount. But they never know what X is (don't share this number with anyone). They tend to give up rather quickly.

Ever since I have implemented this mod, my problems have significantly went away. It totally changed the entire forum experience for our members. They even pointed out one time that it seemed no one was spamming or bothering us, but that is because this feature works so good that no one sees (except moderators and admin) the spam or other crap posts.

I will do a search for this mod. I am sure it is in the archives. I strogly recommend this mod.

Update: found it...

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=39014

Edited by - dayve on 06 November 2004 10:54:37
Go to Top of Page

zinpin

Australia
202 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  16:21:04  Show Profile
but Dayve from what i gather, no one will be replying or quoting the trolls post because they won't be able to see it.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  16:53:50  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GarethMoore1979

this would be a great mod...far better than banning people and having them re-register!

How will it make any difference, they can still re-register under a different name if you are ignoring them
Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  17:49:30  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by zinpin

but Dayve from what i gather, no one will be replying or quoting the trolls post because they won't be able to see it.

Well, not everyone will have ignored them, which means that someone can quote the troll's post and thus make others read it.

Jan
===========
FR Portal Forums | Active Users 4.0.20 Mod
Go to Top of Page

zinpin

Australia
202 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  19:09:50  Show Profile
masterao you must have missed this at the top of this topic:
quote:

Posts from people with 'Bozo' status only show to the 'Bozo' themselves, other forum members can't see them.
In effect, the troll thinks that he is being ignored, but in reality his posts just can't be seen.

Huwr, I have the new members mod installed, but it's a lot more work to administer and I feel unfair to the 99% of the new members. where the Troll mod is a simple quick way to get rid of 1 or 2 troublemakers.
In the event that they do re-register which I somehow feel that they wouldn't, you just repeat the process.
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  20:53:08  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
so you want to ignore someone globally? what is the point then? just lock their account. if you want to prevent them from re-registering and posting then use the mod I suggested.

generally a troll mod is set up for individual users to select whom they chose to ignore.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07