Posted - 07 November 2004 :  21:29:53  Show Profile
i think it's far less aggressive than locking a member
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  21:54:16  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
why? having them ignored by everyone is quite pointless and basically the same effect as locking.

Edited by - dayve on 07 November 2004 21:54:51
Go to Top of Page

zinpin

Australia
202 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  22:39:55  Show Profile
1. they won't be ignored by everyone as the rest of the members will not see the post.
2. locking someone only makes them more of a pain later unless you use a mod like the new members moderation or you ban their IP.
both of those solutions are counterproductive because:
a if you run the new Mem Mod then you have to moderate all the new members posts
b. if you ban the IP address and they have a dyn ip it's useless and if you ban the range, well thats like using a cropduster to get rid of the roaches in your house. :)
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  22:45:27  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
Moderation on a forum.. no way! I think you nailed the problem. Enforce moderation... otherwise why even run a forum?

Go to Top of Page

zinpin

Australia
202 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  22:54:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dayve

Moderation on a forum.. no way! I think you nailed the problem. Enforce moderation... otherwise why even run a forum?

I think you'll find a few people not agreeing with you on this one dayve.
I still think that forums should be kept (within the bounds of reason)as free as possible.
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  22:58:47  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
personal choice I guess. in my experience though the thing I find most annoying is a forum that allows members to not be accounted for, meaning no moderation. I'm not talking about censorship or anything like that. I feel policing a forum is vital to its success. In the 3 years I have ran my forum, the number one compliment I get is that we're not like a lot of the similar subject forums out there because we make it a pleasant place to quickly eradicating problem members and diffusing flame wars.

Go to Top of Page

zinpin

Australia
202 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  23:24:10  Show Profile
the important thing here is not to confuse an unmoderated forum with the assumption that that forum is unwatched.
I'm sure you'd agree that most of if not 99% the members of your forum (if not your's, mine anyway) are OK in terms of what they post. Of course this would depend on the forums subject matter and the age group of the users.
That's why I feel this mod would be a very handy tool in cutting hours of extra work in moderating tasks and a simpler way of weeding out troublemakers.
(besides if nothing else it would be kind of amusing in a cruel sort of way )
Go to Top of Page

GarethMoore1979

United Kingdom
220 Posts

Posted - 13 November 2004 :  18:55:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

quote:
Originally posted by GarethMoore1979

this would be a great mod...far better than banning people and having them re-register!

How will it make any difference, they can still re-register under a different name if you are ignoring them

they wont realise they are being ignored as per say. they wont bother re-registering....why would they?
'trolls' dont participate in conversation or fall into the flow of things.... they post complete and utter rubbish. If they are being ignored they wont realise that no one else cant see there posts but instead they will come to the conclusion that people on the forum are only interested in sensible topics and are not interested in what they post.... they will soon get bored, and leave- this serves a realistic purpose! Banning doesnt really, because they have got the reaction out of you that they wanted and so will continue to re-register.

I have e-mail validation, which of course makes this slightly harder as they need different e-mail addresses and it isnt just a case of signing up a new account, its also thecase of signing up new e-mail accounts.
Account validation.... for those of us that have VERY busy forums (depending on type of forum/topic etc) it isnt realistic to have this option enabled.

For example I run a forum for a UK TV show 'Dream Team'. The programme is shown on sunday nights. After the show at 9pm there is a sudden influx of around 200 people come onto the forums. This is when we sometimes get about 20 new accounts- people want to discuss the weekly episode there and then! they dont want to wait for accounts to be validated. And I dont want to spend the hour validating, checking IP addresses against banned users and similar profiles... I need to be moderating the posts on my forum at this time! ....anyway, off topic slightly, but im just giving you an example of when manual account validation ISNT pratical!
Go to Top of Page

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 13 November 2004 :  19:40:03  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
This would be a good idea if you could delete all the users posts along with deleing the user at one time, by clicking one button. This way, when the user thinks "oh well, i'm getting ignored" and stops coming back you can delete him/her and everything they have ever said with ease. Withwise your just letting the spam get posted and filling up the DB.

De Priofundus Calmo Ad Te Damine
Go to Top of Page

GarethMoore1979

United Kingdom
220 Posts

Posted - 14 November 2004 :  06:32:11  Show Profile
there is a mod called ADMIN TOOLS which allows you to delete all a certain members posts with one click!! (then obviously you go into members.asp and delete the actual member (so thats 2 clicks in total!!)
Go to Top of Page

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 14 November 2004 :  09:11:13  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
I just think for this mods to be a good stand alone mod, what i stated would need to be added to the base code of it.

De Priofundus Calmo Ad Te Damine
Go to Top of Page

GarethMoore1979

United Kingdom
220 Posts

Posted - 14 November 2004 :  13:46:26  Show Profile
does anyone here have the knowledge to get going on this?
I was thinking about how the moderation mod works....in particular how posts are 'held'?
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2004 :  07:38:30  Show Profile
I tried this awhile back. I got burnt out and quit (I couldn't get the forum counts right on "default.asp").
Hiding the trolls from other members is easy.
The hard part (for me) was "last post". It required big changes in "post_info" and a few other files.

If your not worried about the last post and forum count stuff, I'll get together the code for hiding the pests and post it. I just think if someone sees "last post by troll" and can't find the post, they might start asking questions and the troll might get wise .

p.s. It's raining today and I might have a chance to look at this mod again. Maybe fix it.

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

zinpin

Australia
202 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2004 :  21:38:55  Show Profile
I might give this one a try cripto9t since no one else has picked it up :)
If you can email me with the code you've been working with Ill start work on the count stuff.
cheers mate :)
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 19 November 2004 :  10:10:55  Show Profile
Sorry about the wait zinpin, my isp is moving along the internet at 28 kbps. Like watching paint dry :(
Anyway e-mail has been sent :)

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07