New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MichaelA

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  07:56:25  Show Profile
Works great. Again, thanks.

Could something like this be done for the bad word list? It would make maintaining the bad word list easier when there is more than one forum. I can only think of a couple of reasons why someone might want 2 (or more) bad word lists. For me, and I suspect most others, one list for all forums would be the better method.

Thanks for listening to our requests and for the tremendous support from the whole Dev Team.

Mike

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  08:11:35  Show Profile
in the inc_func_common.asp file, find the chkBadWords function and change the 1 instance of strTablePrefix to strMemberTablePrefix

then in register.asp do the same thing in both the chkNameFilter and chkNameBadWords functions.
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  08:32:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelA

I can only think of a couple of reasons why someone might want 2 (or more) bad word lists. For me, and I suspect most others, one list for all forums would be the better method.

I can think for one great reason If the forums are for different languages, the badwords must be different. We also have this problem in v4b04 with the new structure, where we cannot replace a string with another easily...

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

MichaelA

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  12:08:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RichardKinser

in the inc_func_common.asp file, find the chkBadWords function and change the 1 instance of strTablePrefix to strMemberTablePrefix

then in register.asp do the same thing in both the chkNameFilter and chkNameBadWords functions.

Will there be an option to make this change in v3.4.01 or should I make the change there also when it comes out?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2002 :  12:24:02  Show Profile
you'll have to make the change there also.
Go to Top of Page

MichaelA

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2002 :  20:04:05  Show Profile
Being there are new releases coming out and it would require constant change for me (and others?) AND being it is a very small fix per your instrictions, would you reconsider adding vars in config.asp for the bad word list and the name filter so they could be all accessed from one place (FORUM_). Those wo want separate forums can set them to the different forums. Those who want one forum can set them all to FORUM_. It is in only about 3 places.

I'm not complaining about having to make the changes but it would be nice to run a unmodified 3.4.xx. And I'm not complaining about the multiple releases. Goodness, a forum complex with may features as Snitz, I'm amazed there are more problems considering the diverse ways that it is used. The only thing that really baffles me is how you do it in less tha 2.5 MB of code!

Thanks for the reconsideration.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

pweighill

United Kingdom
453 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2002 :  04:36:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bozden

[quote]Originally posted by MichaelA

I can think for one great reason If the forums are for different languages, the badwords must be different. We also have this problem in v4b04 with the new structure, where we cannot replace a string with another easily...

One option for different languages is to include another column in the BADWORDS table to identify the language.
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2002 :  06:00:19  Show Profile
Yes, that's what I also think to implement...

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

MichaelA

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2002 :  10:28:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pweighill

quote:
Originally posted by bozden

[quote]Originally posted by MichaelA

One option for different languages is to include another column in the BADWORDS table to identify the language.

Wouldn't that increase the table and database size and make it harder to maintain by having to put a word, a replacement word, and the language name? The idea to have a bad words list for each forum in a different language is okay for those using multiple languages in their forum. By all means. But for those only using one language, whether it be english or another language, in multiple forums using the same database makes it hard to keep multiple bad word lists. Richard's answer is the correct one. However, I'm asking him to include a var in the config.asp file so it does not have to be changed each time a new release comes out. I'd rather run an unmodified forum that keep making changes. It could be initially set to something like the following

strTablePrefix = "FORUM_"
strMemberTablePrefix = "FORUM_"
strBadWordTablePrefix = strTablePrefix

That way no one has to worry about the new change and everything works like normal. Then those who want to change it can. It would make everyone happy!

Mike

Edited by - MichaelA on 02 September 2002 10:34:08
Go to Top of Page

MichaelA

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2002 :  12:18:07  Show Profile
Richard,

Any thoughts or comments? A decision?

Thanks.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MichaelA

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2002 :  15:59:17  Show Profile
Richard,

Can you tell me when 3.4.03 will be out? I'm still on 3.4.01 because I hesitate to keep making those changes when a new release is coming out. Please advise if it will be real soon. Any thoughts about a 3.4.04 following? Looks like the bug list is getting very short. I know it is hard to tell at this time, but again, my concerns is making the changes for the bad word list and name filter for three forums.

Thanks.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2002 :  16:07:00  Show Profile
3.4.03 will probably be this weekend. While we still have a few bugs reported/fixed, we will continue weekly point releases.

I'll go ahead and include the change you requested for the badwords list. I'll probably name it something like strFilterTablePrefix so that it will apply to the username filter as well.
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2002 :  16:13:04  Show Profile
If the language in the bad word filter is identified with four characters (the same number as that of the lang file), they'd only mean four bits more for each word that's entered. If you only use one language, it'd enter the same value for each bad word. I see no major increase compared to using multiple tables. Not to mention that you won't have to edit the database to create a new table when you add a language.
Go to Top of Page

MichaelA

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2002 :  16:55:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RichardKinser

3.4.03 will probably be this weekend. While we still have a few bugs reported/fixed, we will continue weekly point releases.

I'll go ahead and include the change you requested for the badwords list. I'll probably name it something like strFilterTablePrefix so that it will apply to the username filter as well.

Thank you very much.

I'll update to 3.4.03 this weekend for all 3 forums.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MichaelA

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2002 :  17:00:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FrutZle

If the language in the bad word filter is identified with four characters (the same number as that of the lang file), they'd only mean four bits more for each word that's entered. If you only use one language, it'd enter the same value for each bad word. I see no major increase compared to using multiple tables. Not to mention that you won't have to edit the database to create a new table when you add a language.

So you are talking one table for all instead (what I thought) adding a column to the table in each forum (FORUM_, FORUM1_, etc.). What if you have a forum that allows anything, an everything goes forum. How would you allow any (or almost any) words in that forum but not in the others?

So far I think the current way is best. And, with the change coming, VERY convienent and flexible. It allows a admin to do just about anything he/she wants in the forums with standard code.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2002 :  06:05:57  Show Profile
implemented in v3.4.03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07