New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2001 :  16:59:50  Show Profile
BASIC SMILIES WITHOUT BRACKETS

This simple modification will allow your users to use the simple basic emoticons for smilie icons in addition to the standard forum code. Oh, it also has an admin function to turn on/off the basic smilie function.

:) =
:P =
;) =
:O =
:( =

This similiar functionality can be found at a couple of other boards I've came across and various programs. I've been told that Netscape 6 will convert incoming email with :) to an actual smilie icon.

Download Instructions here:
www.scalemodelernetwork.com/downloads/snitz/basicsmilies.zip

It involves modification to three files, no db modification, and no additional application variables!

I'm just converting these 5 emoticons which seem to be the safest ones to do and probably the more popular emoticons. For all the other's I'd recommend using the standard smilie code.

Looking at these, I can't think of any examples (except possibly wink) where these would be used in any code (asp, perl, javascript, etc.).

FOR BACKGROUND & PREVIOUS DISCUSSION READ THIS TOPIC:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=9658

Edited by - work mule on 15 May 2001 18:28:56

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2001 :  18:06:36  Show Profile
Oops. Just remembered that I had been using an icon directory so I had to remove that from the icon paths in the file.

I just updated the file.

Go to Top of Page

big9erfan
Average Member

540 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2001 :  20:44:52  Show Profile
I haven't taken a look at this yet, but you said there is an admin option to turn it on/off.

Wouldn't it be better to have it an on/off option in each post ( checkbox down by the signature option ), so that in forums like this one when people were posting code they could turn that off to prevent the changing of the text to smiles?

Just a thought.

http://www.ugfl.net/forums
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2001 :  23:18:58  Show Profile
quote:

Wouldn't it be better to have it an on/off option in each post ( checkbox down by the signature option ), so that in forums like this one when people were posting code they could turn that off to prevent the changing of the text to smiles?

It's not a bad idea. I've seen something similiar at one board I visited recently. The poster could control if smilies were used in that topic.

I think the idea is to leave it up to the admin of the board. Members currently aren't allowed to control the use of forum code and html either.

I know it came up in the original topic about people posting code and it getting converted to smilies, but I think with the five icons selected here and maybe a couple more, you wouldn't have to worry.

I still have yet to see an example of code where you would use those character combinations in the programming language/syntax. The wink is the only one I'm not confident about - I don't remember if ;) would be found in Perl or javascript.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07