Classifieds Mod - Edit Ads
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2001 :  10:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
I've been watching the development of the Classifieds Mod and I know that the creator really isn't interested at this point in doing any other modifications. With that said...

Has anyone added the feature to modify ads to this mod? I know enough about ASP to make a form that modifies the database but I would be the only one who could modify the ads. Ideally, each person could modify the ads that they've posted. I don't know enough about the guts of the snitz forums to be able to do this.

Bookie

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2001 :  20:09:42  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
YES we need to be able to modify the actual ads. You can only modify the categories but modifying the ads and expiring ads are very important to the success of this mod... PLEASE!

Dayve
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2001 :  01:12:34  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
man, whoa...even though I am not really interested in spending time on continuing new updates to this mod, I'll try my best to fit in some time to work out an edit ads feature.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2001 :  09:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
Alan,
Thanks for considering this update. I think this mod is great and I'd hate to see it die where it is. The only change I'm really interested in is the ability to modify the ads... nothing else. As far as I'm concerned, I'll be content if that's the only feature you add to it.

If you don't mind me asking, what other mods are you working on? I remember you saying before that you are spending most of your time on other things related to these forums.

Bookie

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2001 :  14:41:52  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
as you probably know, i also did two other big mods besides the classifieds, the events calendar mod and the links manager mod. Besides those I have like several add-ons and code sniplets released for the forum as well. Most of which can be found on my snitz development site, www.calvsa.net/snitz/ . There's also a few unfinished mods and such like the forum statisitics. Rest of the stuff i'm doing are non forum related and/or server component related. I'm also doing stuff with sql stored procedures for me site to speed things up a little. Also i'm quite interested in portalizing snitz, in order words a portal with snitz forums backbone and some of the cool mods nicely integrated into a generic package. Also when i find time, i want to do a color template thingymajig so users can choose the look of their snitz forum.

Rest of time is keeping up for the forums and helping people with the mods and such or coming up with new ideas and development for my site, www.iamviet.com . It's gonna get incorporated soon and then start handling the business aspect of running a web site, (media kits, marketing, getting funding, accounting) etc.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
www.calvsa.net/snitz/" target="_blank">Snitz Resource
Go to Top of Page

e3stone
Average Member

USA
885 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  06:21:54  Show Profile  Send e3stone an AOL message
Is there a way to put an "approval" feature in the classifieds mod? sort of like the approval of the links in the link manager? I'd really like to watch over the content of the classifieds and the images that are put in them. Actually, I'd like to be able to accept or deny the member image photos, too.

I'm not sure if the "approval" feature is already on the classified mod or not. If not, could you direct me to the code in the links manager that handle the approvals? Thanks

<-- Eric -->

http://insidewaco.com/forum/home.asp
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  13:16:13  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
there's no "approval" feature for classifieds. Dud3, I'm so strap for time right now that this mod has become super low priority. I even canned it on my site awhile back. But if anyone wants to continue with it, feel free.

As for the approval feature, here's the way i would do it, the schematics of it.
Add another field to the classified_ads table called "ads_approval int null" with default of "0" zero.
Update it as 1 for all the existing ads.
In the code to insert ads, make sure that it insert the ads_approval with value of "0" (for other db that didn't have default set right)
In the code to display the ads, find the select statement and add this to the "WHERE" clause, " AND ADS_APPROVAL = 1".
Then create an admin page to approve the ads with has a select statement for all ads with approval = 0. (see admin_links_main.asp)

That's roughly it. I might forget a step of too.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource
Go to Top of Page

e3stone
Average Member

USA
885 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  14:15:03  Show Profile  Send e3stone an AOL message
Thanks Alan. I was just checking to see if that had been addressed before I dive in and mess with the code. I understand that you're strapped for time. Iamviet is going incorporated? sweet. Are we going to see you and Tuan on the cover of Fortune magazine soon? Good luck with all that.

<-- Eric -->

http://insidewaco.com/forum/home.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07