MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Uploading a file
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ciggy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2001 :  00:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Ciggy's Homepage  Send Ciggy an ICQ Message
Hi guys,

Was wondering if somone (I dunno how) could work out a way to upload a file to a ftp site with username and password in the code when posting a topic or replying to a topic.

So in essence, a topic could have files attached to them for people to download.

Any idea or help or somone to just plain make the mod would be helpfull..

thanks

big9erfan
Average Member

540 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2001 :  01:01:33  Show Profile
Do a search of the Mod Forum W/Code for Huwrs Upload Mod

http://www.ugfl.net/forums
Go to Top of Page

Ciggy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2001 :  01:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Ciggy's Homepage  Send Ciggy an ICQ Message
Your a champ.. me goes in search now :)

Go to Top of Page

z-man
Starting Member

Netherlands
41 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  06:22:03  Show Profile
What do want to do Ciggy? Upload a file somewhere in your forum directories? I am currently building a file manager (including upload functionality) for administrators of Snitz Forums, so administrators are able to maintain their forum anywhere in the world with nothing more than a browser and a computer.

If you are interested I will keep you informed.

Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  06:26:14  Show Profile
quote:

What do want to do Ciggy? Upload a file somewhere in your forum directories? I am currently building a file manager (including upload functionality) for administrators of Snitz Forums, so administrators are able to maintain their forum anywhere in the world with nothing more than a browser and a computer.

If you are interested I will keep you informed.

hmmm...would be cool if this fileupload could be integrated with the post.asp also, so you don´t have to point to http:// addresses of pictures, but can just insert them from HD/CD/3,5" directly...

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Vince from Spain
Starting Member

Spain
3 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  07:11:55  Show Profile
quote:

Do a search of the Mod Forum W/Code for Huwrs Upload Mod

Hi All,
I'm trying to do this very same thing. I have looked through the Mod Forum W/Code 3 times now looking for Huwrs Upload Mod and can't find it. If anyone has a link I would be mighty grateful.

Vince

Go to Top of Page

Ciggy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  10:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Ciggy's Homepage  Send Ciggy an ICQ Message
Well to be honest what I want is for a popup box or somthing like that that will upload anything to a directoy of choice, or even better, for the user to select from a drop down box the directory to go to.. such as "demos", "images", "patchs", "files" etc...

I would like to specify where this directory is.. and if possible to be able to upload to a directory not in the forums web host. but another that I have ftp access too.

Well thats my perfect world.. would like to hear if anyone can do it

I did download Huwrs.. but the link isnt really forthcomming in the MODS w/code... I found it on Huwrs's actuall forum.. dont have the URL now.. its late here and I will try to find it tommorow morning, but by memory I found it by Huwrs profile. (I havnt had the chance to test it yet either)

Well looking foward to hearing the good or bad news of possibilities :)

Edited by - Ciggy on 28 May 2001 10:36:46
Go to Top of Page

z-man
Starting Member

Netherlands
41 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  14:55:02  Show Profile
Morpheus73 I agree, it would be great for members to upload an image, exactly at the place where they put in the message. You have two options: one to store the image in the database as a blob, or second, store the image somewhere in a directory (an image directory specially for that topic). Both options have pros and cons. For development I would say that the second option is easier to develop. But that is the way I look at it right now. Anyone any more suggestions.

And yes Ciggy I agree that a popup window is necessary. At this moment I have a file manager that is able to manage your entire forum. Delete, create files, directories, upload files, etc. I 'leased' some of the code from some one else, but it is written totally in ASP and that means that you need no additional objects!!!! The core part is ready, but I will add a Snitz look and feel. When it is ready it will be available here. For ftp access using an ASP script is much more complicated, but not impossible. I will save this issue for a next release. I will need this feature in the near future so you are lucky. Give me some time to finish my mod.

Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  15:22:41  Show Profile
quote:

Morpheus73 I agree, it would be great for members to upload an image, exactly at the place where they put in the message. You have two options: one to store the image in the database as a blob, or second, store the image somewhere in a directory (an image directory specially for that topic). Both options have pros and cons. For development I would say that the second option is easier to develop. But that is the way I look at it right now. Anyone any more suggestions.

Yes, but on the other hand; storing pictures in DB would make users able to search in pictures and let posters reuse pictures in other post a.s.o. - actually the system could make a base of a whole imagegallery in fact...I definately think that is the way to go...

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Ciggy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  19:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Ciggy's Homepage  Send Ciggy an ICQ Message
Thanks to both for the comments and ideas. I will keep an eye out for what you come up with z-man.

The thing with me is not the images to be honest, but to be able to upload files such as game patchs or demos or what not. I dont believe they can be stored in the database as Morpheus73 has suggested but need to be in a directory to be able to directly download them?

Sorry but I cannot find Huwrs site!

I am at work and looked here for 15 min but it took alot longer to find it before so I will have to try again later.

I have spoken to a friend who said you can use a filesystem object to upload files to a directory? I will check this out myself and see if I can find some sample code.

I know that you can use Jupload or chilliupload to do what I want done, but then the web host would have to have that installed, which mine dosent like to do, therefore I am looking more at the filesystem object alternitive.

Thanks again,

Ciggy

Go to Top of Page

z-man
Starting Member

Netherlands
41 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  01:06:19  Show Profile
I downloaded some sample code from ASPIN. It is pretty good. I combined it with another sample, a file manager et voila the result. These two days I will be busy but, I will post a preview sample around thursday or friday.

Go to Top of Page

big9erfan
Average Member

540 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  02:22:52  Show Profile
FSO is going to be the only way to remotely upload a file, but you must remmber that not everyone ( not all hosting companys that is ) offer full usage of the FSO object.

As per storing picts in the DB, it is possible ( at least in Access, it is stored as an OLE object ), but I do not know if MySQL, or SQL databases support that kind of object as well or handle it differently or not.

Go to Top of Page

z-man
Starting Member

Netherlands
41 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  05:11:23  Show Profile
Big9erfan I am aware of this policy hosting restrictions. For my provider it works fine. I am not sure this will work with other providers that host forums on other OS's. My provider (121host.net) is running W2K and IIS5 and that's ok.

Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  08:40:05  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
File upload mod is here

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=4850

Go to Top of Page

Ciggy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  04:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Ciggy's Homepage  Send Ciggy an ICQ Message
Awesome.. thanks heaps Gremlin, I will download and check this out pronto.. I will also post my thoughts on it

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07