Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2001 :  16:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
Does anyone have some Javascript code that I can insert on the form to post a link that counts the characters in the description and keywords fields? You'd be able to press a button next to the text box and it would tell you how many words you typed in.

Thanks in advance!

Bookie

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your home."
- George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2001 :  14:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hey Aznknight...

I've got an idea for the mod that would make it much easier for users to post new links.

In the form for doing this, you could add a button that when clicked, opens up a browser window, so that the user can go to any webpage. Once they are there. The form should read the url, the MetaData = "description", for the description field and the MetaData = "content", for the keywords.

This would automate the whole process of properly indexing a new link with a minimum of manual typing.

BTW, you should error trap the description field and keywords field for maximum characters -- which gives an ADO error if exceeded.

Great mod!

Cheers!

Rob

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960
Go to Top of Page

Jim Riley

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 04 July 2001 :  07:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Jim Riley's Homepage
Great Mod

Is it possible to add further "layers" of categories below the "sub-category level"?

Go to Top of Page

RDoGG™

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 04 July 2001 :  17:58:50  Show Profile  Visit RDoGG™'s Homepage  Send RDoGG™ an AOL message  Send RDoGG™ a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Great Mod

Is it possible to add further "layers" of categories below the "sub-category level"?

i don't think so.

RDoGG™
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2001 :  13:53:37  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
it's hard coded for just categories and sub-categories. more layers would require alot of recoding.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource
Go to Top of Page

sogoth

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2001 :  04:42:17  Show Profile  Visit sogoth's Homepage
I've just tried to install this onto a unix system with MySQL and hit a few problems. The system that I'm running on is case sensetive and some references to either table names or column names in the SQL is in lower case whereas the setup routine creates all the titles and names in block capitals.

One other problem... the column name "show" is a MySQL keyword, throwing up all sorts of errors in the install process as it fails abysmally to run the SQL command to build the LINKS table.

Go to Top of Page

stwilson

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2001 :  19:04:54  Show Profile  Visit stwilson's Homepage
Great MOD. I am having one small problem. My install does not show the Rate This Link option. How do I turn it on/off?

Shannon
Go to Top of Page

stwilson

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2001 :  03:52:20  Show Profile  Visit stwilson's Homepage
I'm not sure what happened but the link name (not all) are disappearing from the links I've added to my links database. I cannot figure it out. There is no common theme to the ones that are missing. Some categories are working, some are not. Some links in a category are fine, others are not. The name of the link and the hyperlink are missing on the ones that are gone. I've checked my database and all of the data is there.

I haven't touched the code for some time and all of a sudden the hyperlinks/names are missing. The rest of the data for the links is fine and is being presented.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Your help is appreciated. You can see my problem/site at: http://ridingarizona.com/forum/listings.asp

Shannon

Edited by - stwilson on 28 August 2001 04:07:02
Go to Top of Page

stwilson

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2001 :  11:43:35  Show Profile  Visit stwilson's Homepage
I put a copy of my showlink.asp (which is the culprit, I suppose) file here: http://www.ridingarizona.com/forum/showlink.txt

quote:

I'm not sure what happened but the link name (not all) are disappearing from the links I've added to my links database. I cannot figure it out. There is no common theme to the ones that are missing. Some categories are working, some are not. Some links in a category are fine, others are not. The name of the link and the hyperlink are missing on the ones that are gone. I've checked my database and all of the data is there.

I haven't touched the code for some time and all of a sudden the hyperlinks/names are missing. The rest of the data for the links is fine and is being presented.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Your help is appreciated. You can see my problem/site at: http://ridingarizona.com/forum/listings.asp

Shannon

Shannon
Go to Top of Page

voo
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2001 :  19:50:09  Show Profile
Im wondering how to change the table color that is white. My font is an orange, and the table is white and you cant read the text. Is there a way to change the color of the table?

Thanx in advance..

Go to Top of Page

Korak
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2001 :  08:30:20  Show Profile
Rick7165 posted some code to get Submit New Link Email that will send you a Email when someone submits a URL.
The code:

my_Conn.Execute (strSQL)
Body = "A new link has arrived for you to approve."
Body = Body & vbCrLf & "go to http://www.yourdomain.com/forums/admin_links_main.asp to approve."

Set Mailer = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
Mailer.To = "links@yourdomain.com"
Mailer.From = "links@yourdomain.com"
Mailer.Subject = "New link to approve"
Mailer.Body = Body

Mailer.Send
Set Mailer = nothing
%>

Now I'm wondering how I should do it if I'm using JMail instead?
What should the code look like?

//Korak

Go to Top of Page

stwilson

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2001 :  05:27:26  Show Profile  Visit stwilson's Homepage
I figured out my problem. :)

Shannon

quote:

I put a copy of my showlink.asp (which is the culprit, I suppose) file here: http://www.ridingarizona.com/forum/showlink.txt

quote:

Shannon

Shannon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07