Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Greg Bowman
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2001 :  19:35:12  Show Profile
ah, I understand now; you are right, it sounds better to have a seperate popup. Ideally, if we must load the asp page this way, I would prefer that a small window of, say, 100x50 appears for about 1 second with the notification text: "Subscribing...", and then closes by itself automatically. But no big deal.

Another feature I was thinking about is: allowing admin (from admin interface) to force a subscribe for all moderators for the forum they moderate. My moderators are lazy so I subscribed them to their own forums myself (by updating the Forum_Subscriptions table by hand). A nice feature would be a script to do that task.

Let me know if you are getting sick of my suggestions... I'll understand.

Greg.

Edited by - Greg Bowman on 01 May 2001 19:35:29
Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2001 :  19:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
Greg, I won't get sick of suggestions. It's great to hear new ideas.

I have also been thinking of forcing subscriptions. I would use this for distributing a newsletter. The newsletter would be an "admin write-only" forum that all members must subscribe to. I haven't thought of your idea of forcing to moderators though.

Any more ideas, anyone

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2001 :  09:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

Greg, I won't get sick of suggestions. It's great to hear new ideas.

I have also been thinking of forcing subscriptions. I would use this for distributing a newsletter. The newsletter would be an "admin write-only" forum that all members must subscribe to. I haven't thought of your idea of forcing to moderators though.

Any more ideas, anyone

-Anders M

I have one idea... Some forums may not want thousands of members ALL subscribing to every topic on a very active forum. This would produce a tremendous amount of email -- and Snitz is not a mail server. It might be good to allow that "subscribe" checkbox to be hidden by an admin setting somewhere. This way, one could still use the facility for moderators or special forums (like a special newsletter or something) but without having a potential over-subscription problem with general members.

If you do this, then I'm in!!!

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960
Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2001 :  10:41:16  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
quote:
It might be good to allow that "subscribe" checkbox to be hidden by an admin setting somewhere. This way, one could still use the facility for moderators or special forums (like a special newsletter or something) but without having a potential over-subscription problem with general members.

Good idea! I will definitely have a look at this. But not for version 3, maybe version 4.

I will soon release version 3. It will have topic subscription. It will also be possible to configure how many email adresses that shall be put on the "to" of each email. For example, for emailing 1000 members, we can send 10 email, each containing 100 email adresses in the "to" of the email.

Go to Top of Page

Greg Bowman
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2001 :  12:58:02  Show Profile
That's a great idea. (RE: Hide subscribtion check box for busy forums)

One last thought; Email Bouncing. Because we are now sending out Bulk mail I was wondering if you had given any thought to email bounce handling?

I only have a hundred users on my forum so I can manage email bounces manually (i.e. cancel the user's subscriptions by hand). But folks out there with bigger forums might care. I have no idea how hard it is to read email from the mail component so this might be a silly suggestion. But...

I was thinking of something simple such as "automatic dissabling of the users subscriptions if an email bounces". Maybe an idea for a distant future version.

You could get much more elaborate. For example by counting soft email bounces in the DB and letting admin decide how many bounces warrants the users subscriptions to be cancelled. Some email bouncing is inevitable; due to distant SMTP servers being temporararily down.

Greg.

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2001 :  15:51:16  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
Yes, I've been thinking of bouncing mail because I'm administrator for some majordomo email lists. I personally get bouncing emails from majordomo. When I have received a couple of bouncing emails fom one user, I usually remove the user from the list. No automatic remove, I do it manually.

Your idea sounds great. I don't know how to read bouncing emails via a program though.

I had another idea. When we have received an amount of bouncing email, the user will be shown the text:
Your email adress is not working... You must fix it... etc...

the next time he surfs the forum. If he doesn't fix his email address, he will be temporary banned.

So many things to do, too little time... I'm concentrating on version 3 for now. Should be out before the weekend.

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2001 :  19:25:37  Show Profile
New version here: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=9146
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07