Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2001 :  19:37:39  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
@tomic,

The solution to your problem is extremely simple and is not entirely related to my Portal Mod (well, kind of...). It is due to the way that the application variables are loaded by the Snitz Forums, because Snitz code variables are intended to only be used within the Snitz folders when the Portal Mod attempts to extract them it runs into some errors.

The way to fix this (might also work for you Rob64) is to run the included setup.asp page from the Portal Mod directory. This updates all the variables from the database and the colors as well. After the setup.asp page is run, simply re-open the Resources.asp page and all should be fine.

If this doesn't work, let me know.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
www.combatintelligence.com

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 19 April 2001 19:40:56
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2001 :  19:39:06  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
quote:

Ok this is weird, I left it alone for a while and went back and the IP is gone from the URLs. %$#@*^%$

OK...I feel better now. I do wish i knew what was up. Some cache or something?

The server was probably restarted, and this would cause the site application variables to be re-loaded. Problem solved!

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2001 :  19:44:53  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
quote:

Hello Brent
I installed your beta some day ago, i have the forum Huw'r version installed on a directory /forum of the site and the portal on the main root, the forum is setup right and work fine, i set up all the stuff like i read on the instruction but i stil have problem with a lot of bad link and some error, i edited manually many link on the varius asp file to point them in the right place but the link in the home page still point on the main root when the forum is on a different directory, what i do wrong??
the main forum option are setup right like you can see if you want.

If you want to see my test site is http://portale.difnet.net/ for the portal
and
http://portale.difnet.net/forum/ for the forum

admin
admin

You should download the latest code from the first post in this topic before you fix any errors that you see, they might have already been fixed.

You will also need to edit your inc_top.asp pages to include the <%=strForumURL+strImageURL%> variable that HuwR uses to pull images from the forum/images/ folder.

Try the latest code and then let me know what problems you run into (if any, hopefully none...)

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 19 April 2001 19:46:31
Go to Top of Page

Rob64
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2001 :  20:10:22  Show Profile
K, i tried to run the setup.asp file from the root directory where the portal is, but i got a server internal herror 500. so i decided to restart the server, and after that some thing seems to be fixed like the image on the top, but the menu on the upper right side that is the same of the forum is still have all the link broken they point on the root directory and not at the /forum directory.
And + that now i have many duplicated /forum/forum link that is the file i manually edited well i downloaded your last zip and now i try to overwrite the old one and then i restart the server.
i let you know what appen
thanks for your help!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

Rob64
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2001 :  21:00:43  Show Profile
I noticed some improvement and some bug fixed after i upgraded the files, but my problem still here, the menu on the right top of the page, the links point to the root directory and not to the forum directory.

Rob

Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2001 :  21:32:46  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
One thing I have wondered is why there is a page called resourses.asp and a redirect from default.asp

@tomic

Edited by - @tomic on 19 April 2001 21:45:13
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2001 :  17:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
quote:
One thing I have wondered is why there is a page called resourses.asp and a redirect from default.asp

@tomic

@tomic,

I set the mod up like that so if you already have a default.asp page with site news, intro flash, or something else, you can still use it with this mod. Just place your current default.asp page into the Portal directory and then link to Resources.asp from the main page.

The Mod is setup like that because I origionally developed this Mod for personal use on my own site. It's the way I have my own site setup and decided to leave it that way.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2001 :  17:22:03  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Whew that's a relief. Part of me was worried that changing the name would ruin it. I was working on having the Active Users MOD track people throughout my site and there seems to be a problem with multiple default.asp pages even if they are in different directories.

By the way, now that I got it going, it looks great. I am going to try to make something that is more article friendly if i can somehow manage it. It would rock if the forum post editor was available and you could do multi-page posts for long articles, but your MOD is a tremendous step in the direction of a complete website solution based on Snitz.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2001 :  17:24:12  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
quote:

I noticed some improvement and some bug fixed after i upgraded the files, but my problem still here, the menu on the right top of the page, the links point to the root directory and not to the forum directory.

rob,

If the links you are having problems with are from the Snitz Forum inc_top.asp page then E-Mail me your inc_top.asp file. I will have a look at it. BTW, your site seems to be down.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
Go to Top of Page

tschive

Switzerland
63 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2001 :  18:51:02  Show Profile
hi all,
i added the code for downloads
and uploaded the code of my portal site.
if you are willing to help me fixing and enhancing this marvelous mod then feel free to visit my site and download the code

here

tschive

;-)
.... und tschüss

Edited by - tschive on 21 April 2001 18:52:34
Go to Top of Page

Marino
Starting Member

Canary Islands
42 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2001 :  19:36:37  Show Profile  Send Marino an ICQ Message
Link is broken (lack of .net?)

http://heilpaedagogik.121host.net/portal/

Marino

Edited by - marino on 21 April 2001 19:54:24
Go to Top of Page

tschive

Switzerland
63 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2001 :  04:32:43  Show Profile
quote:

Link is broken (lack of .net?)
Marino

thanks matino
i think it was too late for me

;-)
.... und tschüss
Go to Top of Page

Rob64
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  13:54:01  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

rob,

If the links you are having problems with are from the Snitz Forum inc_top.asp page then E-Mail me your inc_top.asp file. I will have a look at it. BTW, your site seems to be down.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence

yes Brent is that the problem, the site is down because is just a test site, i was looking to get rid of the menu totally and left it only for the forum section, but when i tried to remove the include section for the inc top i got some errors.

Go to Top of Page

bart
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  16:53:12  Show Profile
Snitz Portal Mod

Creating table(s)...
CREATE TABLE Site_Cats( CatID int COUNTER NOT NULL , ParentID smallint NOT NULL , IMG text (100) NULL , Title text (100) NOT NULL , CatDesc memo NULL , Hits int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Forum_ID smallint NULL , Template smallint NULL )
-2147217900 | [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in CREATE TABLE statement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating table(s)...
CREATE TABLE Site_Links( LinkID int COUNTER NOT NULL , CatID smallint NOT NULL , Name text (100) NOT NULL , URL text (100) NOT NULL , Author text (100) NULL , IMG text (100) NULL , IMG_Type int NULL , LinkType int NULL , LinkDesc memo NOT NULL , SubmittedBy text (100) NULL , Added text (100) NULL , Price text (100) NULL , Hits int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Score int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Votes int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Validated smallint NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Badlink smallint NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Forum_Topic smallint NULL )
-2147217900 | [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in CREATE TABLE statement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding new records..
INSERT INTO Site_Cats (ParentID,Title,CatDesc) VALUES (0,'Example Top Level Category','This category is a demo to give you an idea of what this script can do.')
-2147217865 | [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not find output table 'Site_Cats'.

Adding new records..
INSERT INTO Site_Cats (ParentID,Title,CatDesc) VALUES (1,'Example 2nd Level Category','This category is a demo to give you an idea of what this script can do.')
-2147217865 | [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not find output table 'Site_Cats'.

Adding new records..
INSERT INTO Site_Links (CatID,Name,URL,LinkDesc,Author,SubmittedBy,Added) VALUES (0,'Example Link','http://forum.snitz.com','This link is a demo to give you and idea of what this script can do.','admin','admin','20010407232054')
-2147217865 | [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not find output table 'Site_Links'

I get these errors when I try to create the databases.

Please help

Bart
Go to Top of Page

Marino
Starting Member

Canary Islands
42 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2001 :  18:06:49  Show Profile  Send Marino an ICQ Message
First check in your config.asp if you are using a Connection string like

strConnString = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=...

If so, change it for
strConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=....

Marino
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07