Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2001 :  18:41:02  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
Hello!

New final release of this code. It has been through enough testing for me to lable it as stable but be warned there may be a missed bug somewhere! Let me know and I will squash it.

New features in this release:
- Forum Date Support
--- Yes! Finally... Zip includes an update file to update all your current dates
- Basic Forum Code support
--- Still some problems
- New WhatsNew.asp Page
--- Very similar to this Forum's active.asp page
- New Search!
--- Smaller and faster code
- Improved Coding and Stability

The features above are on top of all the previous features. If you are new to this mod then please check out the demos posted below. Any questions should be posted to the Help: Mod Implementation Forum.

Download Location 1:
http://elixirtheband.50megs.com/Portal/Download.html

Download Location 2:
http://www.combatintelligence.com/Portal_Mod.zip

Working Demos:
Combat Intelligence (My Production Site)
http://www.combatintelligence.com/Resources.asp

tschive's Portal Experiment
http://heilpaedagogik.121host.net/portal/

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
www.combatintelligence.com

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 16 April 2001 20:45:34

simonduz

161 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2001 :  21:58:54  Show Profile  Visit simonduz's Homepage  Send simonduz an ICQ Message  Send simonduz a Yahoo! Message
I don't know the content of the 2 missing inc files so I replaced them w/ inc_top.asp and inc_footer.asp. I ran the dbsetup and the date config. Tried to access the resources.asp and got an invalid procedure call for 'Monthname' in inc_functions.asp. Wish I knew a little more that I currently do.
So I also am waiting for this much improved Portal MOD.
Thanks,
Simonduz
BTW: Brent, I never had a single problem with any of the previous releases. Keep up the great work.

http://easyromantic.121host.net -[test site]-
yada, yada.

Edited by - simonduz on 08 April 2001 21:59:31
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  00:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
Hello,

This mod is 100% compatible with the previous version! Just extract into the same folders and over-write all the files. Then, you need to run ConvertDates.asp from the main Portal Mod Directory, this file will update all the dates to the new format.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 09 April 2001 00:50:03

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 09 April 2001 17:53:13
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  01:43:52  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Ok.. works great. But I'm confused... What does this mod do? looks very confusing.

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Running on HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  02:10:32  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
quote:

Ok.. works great. But I'm confused... What does this mod do? looks very confusing.

Ahh, young grass-hoppah. Yoo have-ah much to learn about dee ancient art of link-ah indexing...
--- Mr. Miyagi from Karate Kid XXVII: Attack of the Snitz

Well actually, I don't have a live demo of this mod to show at this moment because CFM-Resources is down. BUT, you can see what HuwR has done with the old version at his test site here:

http://www.magicmushroom.org.uk/

tschive has also heavily edited this mod to create an actual Snitz Portal here:
http://heilpaedagogik.121host.net/portal/

Basically, this mod allows you to create an indexing system of your site's content. You can link to internal and external pages, articles, downloads, etc. etc. and even run a topsites listing (add-on code for this will be available very soon!).

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  04:08:36  Show Profile
...And now i think a big THANK YOU is in order for Brent!

Very cool MOD you´ve made us here!

MPH73

Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  04:30:18  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
quote:
...And now i think a big THANK YOU is in order for Brent!
Very cool MOD you´ve made us here!
MPH73

You are very welcome! I hope that this mod will help you create a better site. Please let me know if you use it, I would love to see how you implement it!

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 09 April 2001 18:08:04
Go to Top of Page

ctsolutions

Germany
69 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  05:41:59  Show Profile  Visit ctsolutions's Homepage  Send ctsolutions an ICQ Message
HI@All

Brent Final Release of Snitz Portal can be Download also here:

http://www.ctsolutions.org/webmaster/snitz/Portal_Mod.zip

in case that,
http://elixirtheband.50megs.com/Portal/Download.html will not response.

BTW: Brent,great job !!!

Regards,
ctsolutions

Snitz Forum 2000 Test Site = SQL 2000 =
http://itc.dynip.com/dvdfox
Running on HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.

Edited by - ctsolutions on 04 May 2001 18:59:12
Go to Top of Page

davea

61 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  11:34:56  Show Profile
This is looking very good.

Right now i use newstrax for my front page news, and link to a forum discussion after, but to be able to turn the front page in to a portal will be a lot more easy to maintain.

I will give this a bash and see what I come up with, can any one else show me any demos of what they have pulled together with this??.

Go to Top of Page

simonduz

161 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  11:55:28  Show Profile  Visit simonduz's Homepage  Send simonduz an ICQ Message  Send simonduz a Yahoo! Message
What are you doing up?
Yes the resources.asp does display without the .inc includes. Well there are no errors.
Have fun.

Simonduz.

http://easyromantic.121host.net -[test site]-
yada, yada.

Edited by - simonduz on 09 April 2001 11:57:06

Edited by - simonduz on 09 April 2001 12:58:48
Go to Top of Page

Markm
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  12:46:52  Show Profile
I'm Having a problem and can't figure it out
here is copy of the error.

Creating table(s)...
CREATE TABLE Site_Cats( CatID int COUNTER NOT NULL , ParentID smallint NOT NULL , IMG text (100) NULL , Title text (100) NOT NULL , CatDesc memo NULL , Hits int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Forum_ID smallint NULL , Template smallint NULL )
-2147217900 | [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in CREATE TABLE statement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating table(s)...
CREATE TABLE Site_Links( LinkID int COUNTER NOT NULL , CatID smallint NOT NULL , Name text (100) NOT NULL , URL text (100) NOT NULL , Author text (100) NULL , IMG text (100) NULL , IMG_Type int NULL , LinkType int NULL , LinkDesc memo NOT NULL , SubmittedBy text (100) NULL , Added text (100) NULL , Price text (100) NULL , Hits int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Score int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Votes int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Validated smallint NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Badlink smallint NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, Forum_Topic smallint NULL )
-2147217900 | [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in CREATE TABLE statement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding new records..
INSERT INTO Site_Cats (ParentID,Title,CatDesc) VALUES (0,'Example Top Level Category','This category is a demo to give you an idea of what this script can do.')
-2147217865 | [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not find output table 'Site_Cats'.

Adding new records..
INSERT INTO Site_Cats (ParentID,Title,CatDesc) VALUES (1,'Example 2nd Level Category','This category is a demo to give you an idea of what this script can do.')
-2147217865 | [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not find output table 'Site_Cats'.

Adding new records..
INSERT INTO Site_Links (CatID,Name,URL,LinkDesc,Author,SubmittedBy,Added) VALUES (0,'Example Link','http://forum.snitz.com','This link is a demo to give you and idea of what this script can do.','admin','admin','20010407232054')
-2147217865 | [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not find output table 'Site_Links'.

Go to Top of Page

davea

61 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  16:03:00  Show Profile
No not a clue.

It appears to be when its trying to create a con (my_con) and it cant create that connection, it may be the fact that this mod is rather restricted on file paths.

My forum is not in /forum so my include folder is not in /forum/include as this mod thinks, I tried to edit all the files to direct it to the right place.

Maybe thats the cause of this problem, I am just at a loss as to what is causing that error though.

The line it falls on is.

objRec.Open("SELECT * FROM Site_Cats WHERE ParentID = 0 ORDER BY Title ASC;")

And I am very limited in my ASP knowledge , so maybe someone else can point us in the right direction.

Edited by - davea on 09 April 2001 16:03:45
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  16:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
Hello,

Note:(Concerning BestRatedLinks.inc and NewLinks.inc)
These files are meant to be included on a seperate page and will not work inside the Portal Mod Resources.asp page without some tweaking. Use them at your own risk!

Markm,

Because others have set this Mod up without problems in that area I cannot think of the reason you would be having this problem. Make sure that you are using the Access 2000 connection string in the Snitz Forum config.asp file. If that doesn't help then please let me know.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 09 April 2001 18:10:16
Go to Top of Page

davea

61 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  16:49:30  Show Profile
That appears to of solved it =)

Now all I need to figure out how to do is get it to pull out news like in that demo site =).

And how to pull out topics from the forum etc, I take it people are using a few mods together to get some of these demos shown here?

Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  19:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
quote:

Now all I need to figure out how to do is get it to pull out news like in that demo site =).
And how to pull out topics from the forum etc, I take it people are using a few mods together to get some of these demos shown here?

tschive has used a heavily edited version of this mod for his demo as well as the slash mod and some other mods.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
Go to Top of Page

sleggtools
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2001 :  21:29:28  Show Profile
I am getting this error.

ADODB.Recordset error '800a0e7d'

The application requested an operation on an object with a reference to a closed or invalid Connection object.

/Forum/include/DisplayCats.asp, line 57

please help

Steve

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07