Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 02 June 2001 :  00:14:30  Show Profile
quote:
I then ran the mod-dbsetup.asp for the poll mod and didn't get any errors.
So you're still having the problem or not?
If you are, yeah it would be helpful if you could give me access to your admin options.

Go to Top of Page

Lee_13
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2001 :  17:56:58  Show Profile
Great work here. Made my life soooo much easier.

A question though. I've hunted around some and I've seen some of the "syndication" mods. Is there a way to "syndicate" the Poll results? I don't actually want to implement the entire Portal Mod to the site (Which is fantastic, btw).

TIA.

Lee

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2001 :  18:25:36  Show Profile
I don't understand what you're asking.

Go to Top of Page

Lee_13
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2001 :  19:23:39  Show Profile
quote:

I don't understand what you're asking.

Davio, thanks for the quick response. What I'm asking is:

Is there a way that on the Front page of my site or another site (which is NOT driven by the Snitz forums) that I could do either an include or an asp call that would pull the active poll from the snitz forum database and display the results there?

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  17:11:26  Show Profile
Yeah, I guess you could. It would take some code modifications to do that.

Poll Mod has been updated. Bug fixes, admin config file has been enhanced, and some new features added. Please see the first post in this topic for details.

Go to Top of Page

Bassman

Netherlands
256 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  19:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Bassman's Homepage
HI Davio,

the new admin_poll.asp is giving a 500 error!

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  20:55:35  Show Profile
If you're using IE, go into your Internet Options, click the Advanced Tab and uncheck the "Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages" option. Then you should get a more detailed error.

Go to Top of Page

Markp

54 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2001 :  22:40:55  Show Profile
I didnt see this so here goes. Added your poll onto my board. the members can add polls but I cant get to the Admin feature. I get:

Error Type:
Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80040E14)
Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'FORUM_MEMBERS.M_NAME FORUM_TOPICS.answer1'.
/forum/admin_poll.asp, line 160

Please HELP

Go to Top of Page

Bassman

Netherlands
256 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2001 :  06:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Bassman's Homepage
Jip, got the same error.

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e14'

Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'FORUM_MEMBERS.M_NAME FORUM_TOPICS.answer1'.

/jam/admin_poll.asp, line 160

Edited by - bassman on 10 June 2001 06:48:21
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2001 :  23:13:19  Show Profile
Sorry about that guys. On line 147 you should see this line of code:

strSql = "SELECT " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.FORUM_ID, " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_SUBJECT, " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.CAT_ID, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.TOPIC_ID, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_SUBJECT, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_MAIL, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_STATUS, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_LAST_POST, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_REPLIES, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer1, " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID, " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_NAME "

replace it with this:

strSql = "SELECT " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.FORUM_ID, " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_SUBJECT, " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.CAT_ID, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.TOPIC_ID, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_SUBJECT, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_MAIL, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_STATUS, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_LAST_POST, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_REPLIES, " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID, " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_NAME, "

It needed a comma at the end and I took out one of the table fields that was being called. I have updated the zip files.

Go to Top of Page

Dan Martin
Average Member

USA
528 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2001 :  01:33:00  Show Profile  Visit Dan Martin's Homepage  Send Dan Martin an AOL message  Send Dan Martin an ICQ Message  Send Dan Martin a Yahoo! Message
I posted this as its own topic, but after no response there, I thought maybe I would try here:

I have recently installed slemieux's Poll Mod.

The only thing I don't like about it: If I put up a poll in a restricted access (by list) Forum, and make it the featured poll, people who don't have access to that forum can vote.

Any pointers on how one would go about changing that?

-Dan

Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2001 :  02:39:44  Show Profile
Before someone mentioned that multi users on same pc can only vote once, has this be fixed already?

Also, what's the idea to put poll in a seperated table.

Go to Top of Page

tomasalsbro
Average Member

Sweden
818 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2001 :  09:02:52  Show Profile  Visit tomasalsbro's Homepage
Help!!!
After installing and running the db_setup.asp all my topics are gone!
Look here! "Inga forum funna" meens "No forum found" in English
What has gone wrong?
Cheers / Tomas

!-Keep distance in traffic-!
www.whiplash.pp.se

Edited by - tomasalsbro on 11 June 2001 10:29:45
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2001 :  11:16:49  Show Profile
Dan, that's something that hasn't been implemented as the polls are allowed for un-registered users to participate in the forums. I suggest you don't make that poll that is in a restricted forum, a featured poll if you don't want un-restricted users to vote in it.

Bjlt, the only way we can put that kind of restriction is on the registered members of the forum. We can store it in the database for which poll they have voted in. But for users that aren't registered, the only way to store which poll they have voted in, is in cookies. Can't do a check by ip because users on a dial-up connection change ip's each time they connect.

tomas, you probably messed up the code in your default.asp file when you added the poll mod code. I'll take a look at it if you email me your default.asp file.

The way things are going, users want to have the option between members only to vote or for everyone to vote. I'm not going to implement that now as I'm not adding any new features right now, but mostly bug fixes and small tweaks. I'll add new feature requests at a later time.

Go to Top of Page

Dan Martin
Average Member

USA
528 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2001 :  14:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Dan Martin's Homepage  Send Dan Martin an AOL message  Send Dan Martin an ICQ Message  Send Dan Martin a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Bjlt, the only way we can put that kind of restriction is on the registered members of the forum. We can store it in the database for which poll they have voted in. But for users that aren't registered, the only way to store which poll they have voted in, is in cookies. Can't do a check by ip because users on a dial-up connection change ip's each time they connect.

Davio, check this out -
Here's some code I wrote for a Calendar app I wrote. I wanted to record "LastVisit" to the cookie on a per user basis (which I use to mark things as read/unread).

cookydomain = ".forum.snitz.com"
cookypath="/"
cookydie=date+365

Response.Cookies(Name)("LastVisit") = Now()
Response.Cookies(Name).Expires = cookydie
Response.Cookies(Name).Path = cookypath
Response.Cookies(Name).Domain = cookydomain

Then later you can retrieve this way:

session("LastVisit")=Request.Cookies(Name)("LastVisit")

It works perfectly. In Snitz....just set Name=M_NAME prior to writing the cookie. If you want to keep Snitz00 in the cookie, just set Name="Snitz00" + M_NAME

Just an idea, but it would fix the issue mentioned above.

So, what do you think?
-Dan

Edited by - Dan Martin on 11 June 2001 14:16:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07