New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 29 July 2001 :  18:42:57  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Whoops, sorry about that. It really does help. I have a my.asp with

Private Messages
Buddy List
Bookmarks
And the default stuff

It took a bit too long to load until I went through them all and explicitly closed the recordsets. The difference was a good second or two!

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2001 :  17:34:50  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
does anyone have the download file for this? the links are not working for me.

Brad
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2001 :  19:52:17  Show Profile
hmmm, the first download link works ok for me.
Although I'm changing my hosting provider, the DNS records haven't been updated yet, but if you do get an error using the first link, it's only temporary. But it works at the posting of this message, and has always worked.

7host must be down...not suprised.

- David

Edited by - Davio on 01 August 2001 19:53:43
Go to Top of Page

Gribbles
Starting Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2001 :  05:18:25  Show Profile
quote:

It just takes time. I will release a 3.3 version, but not just yet.

Can I put in a big request for the polls that a user has voted in to be stored in the database, rather than a cookie. IMHO this would turn an already excellent MOD into a must-have. The only problem I have at the moment is it is very easy to cheat the polls...

gribs

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2001 :  20:03:58  Show Profile
I'm working on that.

- David
Go to Top of Page

Goku121
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 08 August 2001 :  17:49:12  Show Profile
Hey Davio you said that you were gonna make a version of the MOD for 3.3 soon? Well,...I tried to add this ver. to my board, and forum_config table has changed and I know nothing 'bout ASP,...(and yet I have gotten lots of MODs working ^_^)...so when do you expect to put out a new version of the MOD so I know when to check this post again? Thanx!

Go to Top of Page

tbuhara
Starting Member

Turkey
1 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2001 :  07:02:54  Show Profile  Visit tbuhara's Homepage
Hello

Poll mode Snitz forum 3.1 Sr4 Ok.

Poll mode Snitz forum 4.0 Download Link

Thank you

Edited by - tbuhara on 12 August 2001 10:17:32
Go to Top of Page

Komarowsky
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2001 :  18:11:16  Show Profile
I don't quite now is this for mod implementation forum, or general, but, as error started to appear after instaling Poll mod, I think this is the right place :)

When someone try to reply to some topic (with no poll in it, or with poll, doesn't matter) sometimes forum gives this message :

quote:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e57'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]String or binary data would be truncated.

/forum/inc_top.asp, line 237

And, as I said ... not always ... sometimes, and I can't figure out why ...
Interesting thing is that when "reply to" gives this message, you can simply click on "reply with quote" and new window will appear, allowing you to reply as you wish, with no problems at all ...

Here is copy of inc_top about 237 line :

' THEY ARE A ACTIVE USER
strSql = "SELECT " & strTablePrefix & "ONLINE.UserID, " & strTablePrefix & "ONLINE.UserIP, " & strTablePrefix & "ONLINE.LastChecked"
strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strTablePrefix & "ONLINE "
strSql = strSql & " WHERE " & strTablePrefix & "ONLINE.UserID='" & strOnlineUser & "' AND " & strTablePrefix & "ONLINE.UserIP = '" & strOnlineUserIP & "'"
set rsLastChecked = my_Conn.Execute (strSql)

' LETS UPDATE THE TABLE SO IT SHOWS THERE LAST ACTIVE VISIT
strSql = "UPDATE " & strTablePrefix & "ONLINE SET M_BROWSE='" & strOnlineLocation & "' , LastChecked='" & strOnlineCheckInTime & "' WHERE UserID='" & strOnlineUser & "' AND " & strTablePrefix & "ONLINE.UserIP='" & strOnlineUserIP & "'"
my_Conn.Execute (strSql)
end if

' LETS DELETE ALL INACTIVE USERS
SQL = "DELETE FROM " & strTablePrefix & "ONLINE WHERE LastChecked < '" & strOnlineTimedOut & "'"
objConn.Execute SQL

set rsOnline = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

line my_Conn.Execute (strSql) is 237 line.

If you need anything else, just say :) thanks.

Go to Top of Page

acidbuk
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2001 :  16:27:11  Show Profile  Send acidbuk an AOL message  Send acidbuk an ICQ Message
hmm I installed the poll mod copying all the relivent code to my files but now when some one posts a new topic it duplicates the text replys go ok it's just new topics

heres the link to my foruum
http://www22.brinkster.com/acidbuk/forum

Edited by - acidbuk on 13 August 2001 16:42:16

Edited by - acidbuk on 14 August 2001 18:29:08
Go to Top of Page

benny

57 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2001 :  17:30:18  Show Profile
can you post a link to the latest version, becuase i couldnt find it amongst this post please.

Go to Top of Page

acidbuk
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2001 :  18:31:32  Show Profile  Send acidbuk an AOL message  Send acidbuk an ICQ Message
The Latest File is on the firstpage at the top i think

Go to Top of Page

benny

57 Posts

Posted - 14 August 2001 :  13:02:40  Show Profile
im trying to set it up but it never works
default.asp says:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
/forum/inc_top.asp, line 42

mod_dbsetup.asp says:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
/forum/mod_dbsetup.asp, line 13

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 15 August 2001 :  19:31:39  Show Profile
I downloaded this mod many, many months ago. It's a really cool mod and I like it a lot. I think I've been using the April version tho' which had some bugs.

Well, of course I can't just leave well enough alone so I had to get in there and make some modifications.

Here's a couple of my notes and observations:

1) Every time someone voted, the topic last post date was modified and it became an active topic, when it really wasn't. I would click on the topic hoping to see an actual reply and then I'd come to the realization it was just another vote. I wonder how many of my users have done the same thing. I know this has been discussed and the fix has been stated in here a couple of times.

2) I moved the poll data out of the topic table and into it's own. I felt I could reuse the poll information by itself and it would be faster to get it out of a smaller table with a good index created on it. I'll have to see how that works out now.

3) I moved the voting functionality to a popup window. If you've ever been to CNN, well it's my inspiration.
My reason for the popup was this. When someone votes, the form is submitted, loading a new page. If it's successful, you get a message and then the topic is loaded again. If it's a topic w/many replies that's a bit of resources being used to process 1 person's vote. By offloading the voting to a popup, the topic page doesn't need to be reloaded. A side benefit is the popup becomes a way for members to navigate to other polls and topics.

So take a peek and let me know what you think. Maybe this will provide some additional ideas for adding on to this mod.
Poll Demo

BTW, the gradient bars are from HuwR's site. At least that's where I first saw this at. It's pretty slick and looks pretty cool!! I'm still not 100% sure how it's being done, but hey it works, that's all that matters!! I did have to check for Mac users and display the standard poll bar image.

The Work Mule Forums
The Writer Community
Go to Top of Page

Cyber Paladin

55 Posts

Posted - 15 August 2001 :  21:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Cyber Paladin's Homepage
I think I'll try my hand at creating a poll mod for this... Couldn't hurt that much. :)

Hmm... now how to start...

oh BTW if you wanted to know how that gradient thing works it's actually kinda sneaky but simple. The gradient bar is put down on the background layer then the normal bakcground covers over it. To get the bars a transparent gif is streched accross where that hidden gradient bar is and thus it shows. Kinda cool. (For those who know how to do it, that's a close enough explanation) :) :D

Remember... Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 15 August 2001 :  22:12:39  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
benny: That error has nothing to do with the Poll MOD. You are referencing a DSN in config.asp that's not there.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07