Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2001 :  08:51:52  Show Profile
New Topic Here: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16321

master of puppets

Canada
117 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2001 :  13:08:17  Show Profile  Visit master of puppets's Homepage  Send master of puppets an AOL message  Send master of puppets an ICQ Message  Send master of puppets a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for zipping those files up!!!!!

"It's not how far you go, it's how go you far"
- Guy in Ski School
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2001 :  19:38:20  Show Profile
You're welcome.
I had done this a long time ago and posted it in the other poll topic. But it seem to have gotten buried in it.
So I just posted it again.

Go to Top of Page

doflynn
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2001 :  13:47:23  Show Profile
the dbsetup files aren't in there...I have
addpoll.asp, some images and dbupdate_poll.asp, is this all I need to get it to run right....is there any type of integration into the boards I need to do...how to I display the polls?

derek

Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2001 :  16:36:11  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
If I run drop_poll.asp (as I already have it installed), will I lose the Polls that I already have on my Forums? Last time I ran this when trying to fix the Poll Mod, I did lose the one poll I had, and it just became another normal topic, so just wanted to double-check this.

Thanks!~

*If Knowledge is Power, and Power Corrupts, what hope is there for Mankind *
Go to Top of Page

doflynn
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2001 :  18:33:01  Show Profile
Huwr does your polls work the same way? Can you integrate them like these?

Just wondering so I don't have to integrate these polls into huwr 3.1sr4, if it can already do this.

Edited by - doflynn on 30 March 2001 18:33:20
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2001 :  23:39:09  Show Profile
doflynn, there is no addpoll.asp or dbupdate_poll.asp file in the zip. There should be 14 files in there. 1 image file, 1 readme.txt file, 1 poll_dbsetup.dbs file and 11 asp files.
HuwR's poll mod is different from this. Both just has a different way of presenting the polls. If you don't like one style, you can try the other style. Just a choice we're giving you.

Martha, yes you will lose all existing polls that you currently have if you run the drop_poll.asp file. You are basically deleting the tables that hold the polls data. So once those tables are gone, the info for the polls are gone too.

Go to Top of Page

doflynn
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 31 March 2001 :  00:21:43  Show Profile
I got the correct file finally. I've tried to integrate them with huwr, but havne't tested the files yet to see if they work. Will do that in a few.....

derek

Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 31 March 2001 :  05:28:13  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
Davio, is there anyway to install this update without losing existing polls? I would really like to use the update as it has a couple of bug fixes I like, but I don't want existing polls lost in the process.........

Any ideas?

Thanks!

*If Knowledge is Power, and Power Corrupts, what hope is there for Mankind *
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 31 March 2001 :  08:36:09  Show Profile
No, no martha. This isn't an update to your polls. You have the latest one. The previous Poll topic was getting too long, so I just started a new one. And persons couldn't find the link to download the mod, so I posted it in the new topic. You already have this on your forum. No need to use this. It's the same files.

And what bug fixes are you reffering to? Wouldn't need to delete the tables to fix any bug. Just some code changes would be needed.

Go to Top of Page

doflynn
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 02 April 2001 :  17:08:54  Show Profile
Alright after painstackingly integrating with my current huwr 3.1sr4, it is working like a charm! Give the newbie asp'r a hand!

One question a user on my site requested.

On the feature poll, if we click to vote again, it says only one vote per person.

Can it be modified so that when we pull the page up on the feature poll, if we have voted, it shows the results?

Is there an easy way to do this, or do I have to write the code for this. It needs to be compact, about the same size of the existing table, otherwise it'll take up the main page.

Great mod, I like it, and my users like it!

Edited by - doflynn on 02 April 2001 17:09:26
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 03 April 2001 :  14:34:11  Show Profile
That would be a good idea. I've noticed it on other sites that has a poll, that if you have voted before it will show you the poll results instead of the actual poll.

I might just include that in the poll mod. But right now, I have a lot on my plate. When I get the time, I'll work on it right away. If you're up to the challenge, you can try doing it yourself. You just need to do a check on the default page, if the user has voted before or not. You can see the check on the topic.asp page. If they have, show them the results. You would need the same code that shows the results on the topic.asp page, to show the results on the default.asp page. Of course you would need to change the formating a bit to fit into the box.

If you decide to take on the challenge, and need help with it, post a new topic, probably in the "Code Support" forum, and I'll help you out there.

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2001 :  20:42:25  Show Profile
Hi Davio,

Thanks for making this available. I was able to add it without much trouble. Your "Poll Mod" comments were invaluable, making it very easy to add! Thanks for doing that!

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2001 :  21:04:56  Show Profile
BTW, can you post the pin.gif file here? I didn't have it in the zip file.

Oh...something I remembered. I think I encountered problems with the apostrophe when I used it in the answer field. Should the postinfo.asp file be changed so that when you're building the SQL string instead of using the "title" we use "SQLString" to take care of the apostrophe?
txtSub3 = ChkString(Request.Form("answer3"),"title")

Also, I thought it would be cool to allow for smilie code - although this could cause problems by bumping up against the varchar(100) limit. (Oh well... - a minor tweak.) So nobody else try this at home...

Check out my favorite smilie poll.

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2001 :  23:12:46  Show Profile
Awww maan. Can't believe I left that out.
Updated the zip with it.
Thanks work mule. Here's the image: http://www.dsilvera.com/beta/31_sr4/pin.gif

As for the apostrphe thing, the only difference I see between the two is, SQLString does an HTMLEncode on the string before returning it, while the title just replaces the single apostrophe with 2 of them.
Does that just relate to SQL users? Since I only can test it on access I don't have a problem with it. But if it gives an error using SQL I can change it. Don't think I have had a ny SQL users test this yet. *shrugs*

Edited by - Davio on 11 April 2001 10:13:58
Go to Top of Page

geunsie
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 05 April 2001 :  06:21:41  Show Profile
quote:

Alright after painstackingly integrating with my current huwr 3.1sr4, it is working like a charm! Give the newbie asp'r a hand!

One question a user on my site requested.

On the feature poll, if we click to vote again, it says only one vote per person.

Can it be modified so that when we pull the page up on the feature poll, if we have voted, it shows the results?

Is there an easy way to do this, or do I have to write the code for this. It needs to be compact, about the same size of the existing table, otherwise it'll take up the main page.

Great mod, I like it, and my users like it!

Edited by - doflynn on 02 April 2001 17:09:26

hmmm...did you use the default code above?
you probably named the ??????poll.php different...because the mentorpoll uses the same name...
just wondering because i need to do the integration to...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07