Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Warchild
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2001 :  15:21:00  Show Profile  Visit Warchild's Homepage  Send Warchild an ICQ Message
How would I get this mod to open the links in the same page as opposed to a new one?

+++Never Mind I just figured it out, thanks, great mod BTW+++

Edited by - warchild on 01 April 2001 15:23:04
Go to Top of Page

knowbetter
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2001 :  15:09:44  Show Profile  Visit knowbetter's Homepage
Hey Kurt. This is an EXCELLENT MOD! Simple, easy to use, but incredibly useful.

I want to implement it on my live site, but I have one issue. My SQL Server machine tends to error out sometimes (DNS error after, like 5 or 10 minutes of waiting).

My intention is to put this on my home page, near the top, to drive people to the forums. But in those instances where the DB server errors out (sits there and does nothing), visitors to my site would see nothing - not a good thing

My question do you or does anyone else have a good way to structure my page or this MOD so that the rest of my home page will load and display before it attempts to load the forum links?

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

XavierSlater

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2001 :  18:55:01  Show Profile  Visit XavierSlater's Homepage
Have looked at this MOD, I like it alot. However is there a way to also limit the number of links displayed by category? THis would be useful for Gaming sites, where the Members own websites can then display the syndication of related posts, rather than all posts.

If that makes sense?

Regards,

Stu

Go to Top of Page

swatijain
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2001 :  16:27:03  Show Profile
Excellent Mod!

Go to Top of Page

stupidity
Starting Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2001 :  19:58:36  Show Profile  Visit stupidity's Homepage
Very Interesting MOD the question is, is there anyway of getting this Mod to output the latest posts in a specific category or Forum any help or suggestions appreciated

Go to Top of Page

Morten

Denmark
251 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2001 :  20:44:18  Show Profile
Thats exactly what I would love to have also. Its not that cool to have topics listed from my testforum. I would like to exclude some of the forums.
quote:

Very Interesting MOD the question is, is there anyway of getting this Mod to output the latest posts in a specific category or Forum any help or suggestions appreciated

Go to Top of Page

Kurt
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2001 :  14:48:50  Show Profile  Visit Kurt's Homepage
Sorry for the delay in responses, I've been busy and it seems that the Snitz forums are having problems sending email in a timely manner.

knowbetter- It should load the rest of the page, then the links, since all it's just a Javascript file. If you want to get around your problem, and have ASP access on your homepage, you can download the XML version at regular intervals and format that however you want. This would allow you to only use a local file, and skip it if it takes too long to download.

quote:

Well, I haven't messed with it at all since March (when I first coded it), but there are a few things you can try. In the Syndicate.asp file, you'll see the two methods it uses to build a SQL Statement getting the desired records. You can edit those statements and force them to only select records WHERE TOPICS.CAT_ID= Whatever you want. You can also put an option in the setup page that allows much the same thing.

I'll see if I can't make it do that later, but that would require installing the forums again and I have other projects going right now.

Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2001 :  11:29:27  Show Profile
If I click on "Most Active" and hit submit I get

line1
error:syntax error

like wedont had. I downloaded the latest zip. Any ideas on what is causing this error?

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

RDoGG™

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2001 :  17:03:54  Show Profile  Visit RDoGG™'s Homepage  Send RDoGG™ an AOL message  Send RDoGG™ a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Hey Kurt. This is an EXCELLENT MOD! Simple, easy to use, but incredibly useful.

I want to implement it on my live site, but I have one issue. My SQL Server machine tends to error out sometimes (DNS error after, like 5 or 10 minutes of waiting).

My intention is to put this on my home page, near the top, to drive people to the forums. But in those instances where the DB server errors out (sits there and does nothing), visitors to my site would see nothing - not a good thing

My question do you or does anyone else have a good way to structure my page or this MOD so that the rest of my home page will load and display before it attempts to load the forum links?

Thanks.

i didn't d/l this MOD, but try this:

before you render the javascript file,
type

<% sub syndicate() %>

after the javascript file,
type

<%
end sub
syndicate()
%>

it should look like:

[code]
<% sub syndicate %>
<script language="Javascript" src="syndicationfile.asp">
<% end sub
syndicate()
%>

Go to Top of Page

grazman

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2001 :  18:39:27  Show Profile  Visit grazman's Homepage
Did you guys ever look at this: http://www.asprss.com/. It might be close to what you are working on.

SQLTeam.com - For SQL Server Developers and Administrators
Go to Top of Page

samyot

Canada
242 Posts

Posted - 27 June 2001 :  11:48:24  Show Profile  Visit samyot's Homepage  Send samyot a Yahoo! Message
quote:

line1

like wedont had. I downloaded the latest zip. Any ideas on what is causing this error?

Intrepidone

I am also getting errors using the "Most Active" option. Any fix?

Go to Top of Page

samyot

Canada
242 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2001 :  15:21:59  Show Profile  Visit samyot's Homepage  Send samyot a Yahoo! Message
quote:

quote:

line1

Intrepidone

I am also getting errors using the "Most Active" option. Any fix?

If found the problem:

Line 36 has
strTablePrefix & "FORUM and where " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.FORUM_ID=" &_

I simply removed the and

Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2001 :  19:15:09  Show Profile
Thanks samyot,

Changed my line 36 and it works

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

SalmanKhana
Average Member

USA
961 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2001 :  19:50:45  Show Profile
Great MOD.... all the best for the future for making more Cool MODS

cheers

sal.

Go to Top of Page

samyot

Canada
242 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2001 :  14:35:55  Show Profile  Visit samyot's Homepage  Send samyot a Yahoo! Message
I am using the most active option with the top 5 entries but more than 5 appear. Please see http://members.home.net/sylvainamyot/index.html for example.
It appears I have 3 entries tied for fifth place and therefore displaying 7 entries instead of 5. I tried 1 through 4, works fine. 5,6,7 always show 7 entries since the three that are tied and anything above 8 works fine. Can the code be modified to show only 5 entries for this situation?

Edited by - samyot on 02 July 2001 15:30:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07