Development Tool - Fake Snitz
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  13:16:57  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
http://stormwhispers.com/snitz_testing/fake_snitz.zip

Just run the script, its pretty much self explanatory - I tested it pretty good, I had a few problems with it at first, but Hopefully they are all worked out.

FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY - Dont come runnin to me when you got 50 categories and you didnt want them.

----------------
Da_Stimulator
Need a Mod?
My Snitz Test Center

Edited by - da_stimulator on 27 March 2001 17:39:14

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  14:04:01  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
Maybe I should Explain what it does.

Say your making a new mod, and you need a few posts in a forum. Well instead of posting them all yourself - Just go to fake_snitz.asp and click 'add topics' - select the amount of topics you want to add, and wala - done.

Same thing with adding categories, forums, and members.

Thats why its named 'fake snitz' , it sorta 'fakes' all the new stuff.

----------------
Da_Stimulator
Need a Mod?
My Snitz Test Center

Edited by - da_stimulator on 27 March 2001 14:05:18
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  14:06:17  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
I tried it out...pretty good way to post to forum for testing purposes when there are no posts on your development forum.

cool.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  14:57:14  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
Haven't tried it out yet, but it's a great idea and a much needed tool! I'm downloading it now...!

Thanks Stim!

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  15:02:06  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
yw - that static page for the search engine thing was the inspiration. Gor suggested it. I had no clue what he was talking about until I actually saw the static pages and stuff.

----------------
Da_Stimulator
Need a Mod?
My Snitz Test Center
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  16:05:16  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
quote:

yw - that static page for the search engine thing was the inspiration. Gor suggested it. I had no clue what he was talking about until I actually saw the static pages and stuff.

Well...I know I added 50 dummy users and a lot of posts into a MySql database by hand when I needed to test paging of topics and members in combination with MySql...when I saw Azknights request for posts and Da_Stimulator looking for things to do....

Haven't tested it yet...but thanks in advance !

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  17:02:45  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
So I made this AFTER everyone needs it... heh heh heh.

Should I keep it here or should I post it in the Mods forum?

----------------
Da_Stimulator
Need a Mod?
My Snitz Test Center
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  17:32:34  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
moved to MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)

There might be others out there that really could use this...

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  17:38:10  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
I just now added the ability to delete all forums under a cateogory, and delete all topics from a forum - was gonna do delete all topics by member, but I gotta go in like 2 minutes.

----------------
Da_Stimulator
Need a Mod?
My Snitz Test Center
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2001 :  02:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
Da_Stimulator,

Very nice development tool. This will help save a LOT of time when starting work on a mod and testing it from a clean forum DB. Very nice indeed...

Are there any other interesting devlopment tools hiding out there? Maybe something that, oh I don't know, writes/develops/debugs all your code for you? Guess not, eh? ****. Wish I had a clone...

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
www.combatintelligence.com
Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2001 :  12:14:58  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
heh heh heh, dont we all wish there was a tool like that :)

----------------
Da_Stimulator
Need a Mod?
My Snitz Test Center
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2001 :  14:40:51  Show Profile
Awesome mod!! This helps out - saving time from having to post enough replies to have paging turned on.

Hey with a little normalization of the data being written out, someone could use this to pad up their forum with users and posts!

Forum Owner 1: "I have 100 members!"

Forum Owner 2 reads that and thinks, "hmmm...he has out done me again. but wait, here's fake snitz...I'll run it."

Forum Owner 2: "I have 150 members!"

Forum Owner 1, not wanting to be outdone downloads fake snitz and runs it three times.

Forum Owner 1: "Oh yeah, my forum is better! I now have 250 members!"

Forum Owner 2, retaliates with running fake snitz 10 times.

Forum Owner 2: "I have done better! I have 650 users."

Thus the acronym of MAD comes back from the Cold War and is reborn at the Snitz:
Mass Addition (of) Data.

At some point, our two forum owners will bring down their ISP's by running fake snitz in an endless loop, adding 500 users/second....

Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 29 March 2001 :  18:43:47  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
Wouldnt that just suck :)

----------------
Da_Stimulator
Need a Mod?
My Snitz Test Center
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07