RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  07:03:30  Show Profile
Title: Avatar MOD
Version: 2.0
If you are using Snitz Forums 2000 v3.3 +: Download from here
Download: Download (right-click on link and choose "Save Target As...") (for v3.1sr4)
Alternate Download: Alt Download (for v3.1sr4)
Installation: read the included avatar_readme.txt file for installation instructions.
Description: For all of the user's who have wanted to add Avatars in the author box on Topic.asp.
Demo: No Demo available as most functions are on the Admin side.
Support: Please post questions and problems with this MOD in the Help: MOD Implementation Forum.

Features:
Admin interface for:
Adding Avatars
Reviewing current Avatars
Editing of current Avatar locations
Deleting of current Avatars
Instant preview of currently selected Avatar in dropdown list for user's selection
You can assign reserve an Avatar to for a specific Member (New in Version 2.0)
Height and Width can now be specified separately (New in Version 2.0)

Other Changes:
This MOD no longer uses the Dynamic Image selector from www.dynamicdrive.com

Includes Upgrade instructions for those who have v1.0 or v1.5 of this MOD installed.

Make sure that you use the mod_dbsetup.asp file that comes with this MOD, especially if you are using MySQL.

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  07:11:20  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
Great! too bad i'm about to head to bed or else I'll try this mod right away .

I'm going to copy the formatting style that you used here for posting up mod i'm about to release .

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  07:18:59  Show Profile
I'm about to head to bed myself.
Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  08:44:18  Show Profile
Richard,

Another job well done

Seems to work perfect with Netscape. I am just heading out but did a fresh install of the MOD quickly and everything seems to work. Avatars assigned by admin to members reserves that avatar for that member. The member can change his admin assigned avatar to an "Un-Registered" avatar, etc.....

While registering a NEW user, that user only has the option of picking an avatar that is not already member assigned (un-registered)

Just to clarify one thing though (this was all while "Adding New Avatars" in admin options)....
If admin assigns an avatar to a member, that admin assigned avatar will not show up in that members Posts unless that member edits his/her profile and chooses the avatar admin assigned him/her or a "free" avatar, is that right?

At first I was wondering why the admin assigned avatar did not show up in a members Post, but then thought well maybe that member still has to choose either the admin assigned avatar or a free one (hope I explained this ok).

Excellent job Richard, instructions were easy, db setup was easy and it all worked perfect first time round

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  09:15:51  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Richard... I get this error:

Adding new records..
INSERT INTO FORUM_AVATAR2 (A_HSIZE, A_WSIZE, A_BORDER) VALUES (64, 64, 0)
-2147217900 | The INSERT INTO statement contains the following unknown field name: 'A_HSIZE'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly, and try the operation again.

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Running on HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman

Netherlands
256 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  12:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Bassman's Homepage
quote:

Richard... I get this error:

Adding new records..
INSERT INTO FORUM_AVATAR2 (A_HSIZE, A_WSIZE, A_BORDER) VALUES (64, 64, 0)
-2147217900 | The INSERT INTO statement contains the following unknown field name: 'A_HSIZE'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly, and try the operation again.

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Running on HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.

There are 2 things missing in de data base (acces 2000)

a had the same problem, but add the following fields manually in the database.

FORUM_AVATAR2

add:

A_HSIZE
A_WSIZE

the border "A_BORDER" is in there already.

and working fine now

Great mod Richard.

sorry for the $%^&* english

Edited by - bassman on 25 March 2001 12:12:50

Edited by - bassman on 25 March 2001 12:13:53
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  15:11:45  Show Profile
(ONLY applies to those using v3.1SR4)

Make sure that y'all use the mod_dbsetup.asp that is included in this archive.
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  15:12:02  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
I'm just curious as to what will happen if I update from version 1 to 2 and two people already have the same avatars?

Avatars is quite popular on my site, and because of the limited number I have available. People using same avatars happens.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  15:17:26  Show Profile
quote:
Posted by Interpidone,

Avatars assigned by admin to members reserves that avatar for that member. The member can change his admin assigned avatar to an "Un-Registered" avatar, etc.....

That is the correct behavior. It's just to prevent other users from using an Avatar that has been assigned to a Member. I guess I should have worded it as "Reserved for Member" instead of "Assigned to Member".

quote:
While registering a NEW user, that user only has the option of picking an avatar that is not already member assigned (un-registered)

This is the correct behavior also. When registering, the person doesn't have a Member ID yet, so they can only choose from the Avatars that have not been Assigned/Reserved for other users.

quote:
Just to clarify one thing though (this was all while "Adding New Avatars" in admin options)....
If admin assigns an avatar to a member, that admin assigned avatar will not show up in that members Posts unless that member edits his/her profile and chooses the avatar admin assigned him/her or a "free" avatar, is that right?

Again, this is the correct behavior. The avatar is being "assigned/reserved" so only the specified user can use it.

quote:
At first I was wondering why the admin assigned avatar did not show up in a members Post, but then thought well maybe that member still has to choose either the admin assigned avatar or a free one (hope I explained this ok).

Excellent job Richard, instructions were easy, db setup was easy and it all worked perfect first time round

Intrepidone

Sorry for the confusion. I changed the wording to Reserve for Member instead of Assign to Member. The zip file has been updated as well as the description above.
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  15:21:44  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Richard I did use the one included in the zip file.

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  15:28:32  Show Profile
quote:

I'm just curious as to what will happen if I update from version 1 to 2 and two people already have the same avatars?

Avatars is quite popular on my site, and because of the limited number I have available. People using same avatars happens.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com

It should not have an adverse affect. I have changed the wording to correctly reflect the ability to "Reserve" an avatar for a user, instead of "Assign" an avatar to a user.
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  15:39:03  Show Profile
I included the wrong mod_dbsetup.asp file.

Anyone having problems with the Database Setup, please redownload the .zip file and extract the mod_dbsetup.asp from it.

Sorry for the mixup.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman

Netherlands
256 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  15:43:06  Show Profile  Visit Bassman's Homepage
quote:

I included the wrong mod_dbsetup.asp file.

Anyone having problems with the Database Setup, please redownload the .zip file and extract the mod_dbsetup.asp from it.

Sorry for the mixup.

Oke Thanks Richard

Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  16:00:20  Show Profile
Thats the way I thought it all worked Richard, just wanted to clarify , it all does exactly what it is suppose to.

Excellent job, especially implementing the reserved for members part.

As for Aznknight, since only the Admin can "reserve" an avatar for a member, then this should have no affect on his members using the same avatar if they choose an avatar, because any avatar that is reserved for a member by Admin becomes unseen in the avatar list for members to choose from. If I am correct?

Very cool idea Richard, this must have taken alot of thought. It's like you covered all avenues that someone may have wanted implemented into this MOD.

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  16:03:50  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

It should not have an adverse affect. I have changed the wording to correctly reflect the ability to "Reserve" an avatar for a user, instead of "Assign" an avatar to a user.

Ah I see now. What happens is the admin assigns the avatar for a user and only that user can use that avatar. Guess that's not what I had in mind exactly.

What I thought was that, when someone uses an avatar a field gets turn to true and other users can't pick the same avatar. Maybe this can be an add-on

Some customization that I did.
-Took out the height and width. My avatar images do not conform to the same heights and widths and I don't want to it to display stretched, so in many cases I removed the height and width attributes.

-order by A_NAME instead of A_ID
Avatar are easier to find if they are arranged alphabetically.

thanks for the great work richard.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com

Edited by - aznknight on 25 March 2001 16:15:25
Go to Top of Page

aston

Andorra
51 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  18:41:31  Show Profile
Dear Richard,in fact ,when I want to download your new MOD,I can`t.In here I can`t go to you website ,and please email me your V2.0,ok?

ThankX

Fly me to the Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07